New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346879 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3750 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:07 AM »
. I just grabbed the pliers and forced it right through my flesh, flattened the barb, reversed it out and went tarpon fishing  @)

Your a beast.... ;D ;D
Go to the Med Center in Old Forge and they have a whole display case with hooks and lures that were removed from people....    ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3751 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Awesome John! True Grit!  ;D

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3752 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Pictures ? I was gagging. Unlike yours ship, this was bloody and meaty. A giant treble with little room to cut the shank and push through . Not a pretty sight and a picture I wish not to see again ..
I think I would have to wussed out and go to ER if it were me, or drink more alcohol first.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3753 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:48 AM »
Fished the lake yesturday.   Drove on with the car at Pilot Knob.   Ice was a solid 15"-20" over the deep water, more up shallow.  Lots of trucks on the Lake.   Caught some lakers.   Switched up to perch in the afternoon and went home with a bunch.   Great day to be out on the lake.   

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3754 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:48 AM »
How did the hook get in there that deep tuna??

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3755 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Had a jig and a #12 trebble in my hand this year.. at differnt times. The trebble burried itself on the outside of my thumbnail all the past the bend. Thats what I get from being rough pulling it out of a pike!
!!FLAG!!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3756 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:02 PM »
I saw a deer carcass up near pilot Knob on sunday.  When I was walking out to my spot i noticed some chuncks of deer fur on the ice.  I wondered a bit how it got there..  After an hour or so of moving around trying to find Lakers I noticed murder of crows in a group on the ice on a big reddish pile.  It got the best of me I went and looked.  Sure enough it was a big doe chewed right down to the bones actually missing some ribs and a leg.  I could tell where the chase started ( where I found the deer fur ).  The coyotes chased it several hundred yards before there was any blood, just fur chunks.  then there were 3 20X20' sections of ice that were just a blood bath.  I hope the deer had a quick death but I doubt it.  I would guess there were 3-5 coyotes judging by the tracks in the blood and snow.

I also ice my personal best Lake Trout. 26" and 4.5 pounds.  Only fish of the day, PK was the dead sea yesterday.

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3757 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Ouch

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3758 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:30 PM »
How did the hook get in there that deep tuna??

A feisty wiggling lake trout with a hook. The lure was a PK something with trebles on both ends, top & bottom

Offline duckmidgetshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3759 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Hot tuna what a wimp . I walk over to see if someone's got side cutters and you think id been gut shot  by the look on his face and lil tuna's. Thank god someone in the group wasnt afraid of a little blood  or id of had to fish the rest of the day with that hook in my finger.  Oh yeah human blood is a great laker attractant.  The next hole I dropped that spoon in a laker slammed it as soon as it hit bottom.  Thanks for the hook out doc.

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3760 on: Mar 10, 2014, 01:50 PM »
So I've recently had some luck in finding perch (finally) and I noticed something interesting. There was a small area, approximately 100x100 ft where I could drill a hole and instantly see perch on the bottom. If I dropped a jig down, any jig, they'd come up and take it with a little play. I then moved to some deeper water in search for lakers. Found one hole where there looked to be fish. They were moving around right on the bottom, but no matter what jig with what bait I provided, they would sniff a little and then swim away. Some would come up to get a closer look and then turn right around before even getting close. I think I may have gotten 1 hesitant nibble, if it even was that.

What's your theory on this? Were these perch of a different appetite? Or was it a different species? I even tried getting a minnow down there on a tip up and still no takers..
Get the flag!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3761 on: Mar 10, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Hot tuna what a wimp . I walk over to see if someone's got side cutters and you think id been gut shot  by the look on his face and lil tuna's. Thank god someone in the group wasnt afraid of a little blood  or id of had to fish the rest of the day with that hook in my finger.  Oh yeah human blood is a great laker attractant.  The next hole I dropped that spoon in a laker slammed it as soon as it hit bottom.  Thanks for the hook out doc.
Your quite right and I admit that human blood and torn flesh are not my fancy.
But then again I haven't been bitten by a shark either .. Lol
Your a trooper :) I would have probably had to take a week off of work for that wound

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3762 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:02 PM »
So I've recently had some luck in finding perch (finally) and I noticed something interesting. There was a small area, approximately 100x100 ft where I could drill a hole and instantly see perch on the bottom. If I dropped a jig down, any jig, they'd come up and take it with a little play. I then moved to some deeper water in search for lakers. Found one hole where there looked to be fish. They were moving around right on the bottom, but no matter what jig with what bait I provided, they would sniff a little and then swim away. Some would come up to get a closer look and then turn right around before even getting close. I think I may have gotten 1 hesitant nibble, if it even was that.

What's your theory on this? Were these perch of a different appetite? Or was it a different species? I even tried getting a minnow down there on a tip up and still no takers..
They could have been cisco or smelt.
Or just perch, but not in big numbers. Competition creates aggression with fish. You're going to catch more when there's more around. Not only because of the numbers of fish, but they will eat before they let another fish get the easy meal in front of them. Hungry or not.  ;)
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3763 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:27 PM »
They could have been cisco or smelt.
Or just perch, but not in big numbers. Competition creates aggression with fish. You're going to catch more when there's more around. Not only because of the numbers of fish, but they will eat before they let another fish get the easy meal in front of them. Hungry or not.  ;)

I didn't think they were smelt. Looked pretty large on the Vex FL-18.. Ciscoes on the other hand..I've never caught one and have been dreaming about it.. What do they bite on?
Get the flag!

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3764 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Eyesfishing usually you can get them to take smaller pimples, buckshots or any other smaller spoon. Easy way of making sure it is a Cisco a buddy showed me yesterday.  If it's got teeth throw it back it's more than likely a smelt have seen to be able to get them first thing in the morning and right before dark gotta put in some time for them too but if you can have them stacked like perch. Buddy smoked me yesterday using them

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3765 on: Mar 10, 2014, 03:52 PM »
I saw a deer carcass up near pilot Knob on sunday.  When I was walking out to my spot i noticed some chuncks of deer fur on the ice.  I wondered a bit how it got there..  After an hour or so of moving around trying to find Lakers I noticed murder of crows in a group on the ice on a big reddish pile.  It got the best of me I went and looked.  Sure enough it was a big doe chewed right down to the bones actually missing some ribs and a leg.  I could tell where the chase started ( where I found the deer fur ).  The coyotes chased it several hundred yards before there was any blood, just fur chunks.  then there were 3 20X20' sections of ice that were just a blood bath.  I hope the deer had a quick death but I doubt it.  I would guess there were 3-5 coyotes judging by the tracks in the blood and snow.

I also ice my personal best Lake Trout. 26" and 4.5 pounds.  Only fish of the day, PK was the dead sea yesterday.

wow thats funny you found that. I found the same thing last season over behind Phelps island which you walk out of PK to get there. Strange.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3766 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Not so strange , every year coyotes will run deer on to the ice in that area. They have figured out once the deer get on the ice they are dead meat. Every night they also go on garbage patrol seeing what was left on the ice by the fisherman.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3767 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:22 PM »
I didn't think they were smelt. Looked pretty large on the Vex FL-18.. Ciscoes on the other hand..I've never caught one and have been dreaming about it.. What do they bite on?
Fished out of Vet's on Saturday, not a great day for perching. It was OK, but not great...caught a bunch of dinks, but what was really surprising was the smelt that I got into and even some cisco's. It was really weird catching the perch and everything on a Hali. Perch and smelt would come and go intermittently.
Dream Catcher

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3768 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Buddy smoked me yesterday using them
mike?????????

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3769 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Not so strange , every year coyotes will run deer on to the ice in that area. They have figured out once the deer get on the ice they are dead meat. Every night they also go on garbage patrol seeing what was left on the ice by the fisherman.

I figured it was something like that. I have seen deer swimming across lakes during the summer. I assume thats because of the same reason?

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3770 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:43 PM »
There was an Eagle on that carcass Saturday. Then he was up in a tree on that small island north of PK.....

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3771 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:50 PM »
I briefly saw the bald eagle as well.

Maybe not that big. Prob a yearling actually

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3772 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Me an a 4.25 lb 26" Lake Trout

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3773 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Coyotes are smart to run deer onto the ice,  hooves are useless out there.

Good to save them, but the guy who did it prob sold some hovercrafts on the evening news.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3774 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:27 PM »
nice fish george ! are those glasses polarized?
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #3775 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:01 PM »
ciscoes will bite small 2.5 inch or smaller minnow shaped plastics.. or pretty much any bright colored tiny i mean tiny jigs with a mousie.. havent found anything else yet... also i noticed on the fish finder that if you jig they wont bite just set your pole down and when you see that tip bounce set it like a wild west quick draw lol

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3776 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Anybody ever used a hand line with smelt rig (big flasher long shank gold hooks and grubs) for ciscos. Seems like it would work great, can get a really good hook set and can get up and down really fast when they're deep.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3777 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:02 AM »
out on the lake yesterday.there were smelt ciscos perch and big trout.not big numbers but all good fish.they were full of small fry of some sort.all fish 23 to 30. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3778 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Has anybody caught a LL Salmon in LG this year?  Or heard of someone catching one?  A guy at work said they caught 6 or 7 two years ago..  I've got a few weeks left to either keep trying for a 30" trout or ice my first salmon. 
I've seen one pic of a Salmon this year from Schroon.

One theory I had is if people are finding them they are smart enough to keep a tight lip. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3779 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Has anybody caught a LL Salmon in LG this year?  Or heard of someone catching one?  A guy at work said they caught 6 or 7 two years ago..  I've got a few weeks left to either keep trying for a 30" trout or ice my first salmon. 
I've seen one pic of a Salmon this year from Schroon.

One theory I had is if people are finding them they are smart enough to keep a tight lip.
I heard of one being caught and turned in during the Hague tourney.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.