New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346917 times)

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3210 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:12 AM »
I will be back fishing in a few days.. gonna have a nice cookout out on luzerne as soon as i get taxes the more the merrier

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #3211 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Mike 304, I agree with Ships' quote and Jager.  I fished 1 and 1/2 days this past weekend and only had 3 hookups and never iced one.  On the other hand I've caught 4 or 5 out of the same hole in 20 minutes or so.  If you hit the lake on the right day, they will be fighting with each other to get on your hook.  The problem is, it's hard to tell which day they are going to be like this.  The only other thing you can do is put 6 pound test on your jig pole when you are going after Perch.  Sooner or later you WILL catch a Laker on your Perch pole.  We jigged Lakers a couple of weeks ago and it was slow....went in to jig Perch and one of the guys caught 2 27 inchers out of the same hole.  It's also like any thing else, the more success you have the greater your confidence will be.  It's not that you have to put in long stretches of time- though that helps- you just have to be persistent.  8 or 10 fish day sounds like a lot of Lakers, but if you ask the guys who can do it, it is a long day and a lot of work.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #3212 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Went to a bay in the South Basin yesterday. Lakers bit all day. 25 1/2" and a 26". Perch bite was slow.
Master Laker taker.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3213 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Confidence is the most important thing when it comes to fishing, without it you won't have any success.

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3214 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:07 PM »
went out of vets yesterday with the dog and ended up with 3 dozen nice perch and 2 lakers on perch jigs. The drag was not to bad due to the trail being beatten down

Offline skunkman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fur Trapper
« Reply #3215 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:21 PM »
  Changing  the subject, has anyone caught a salmon this winter? I'm old enough to remember when the state used to stock rainbow trout. For whatever reason Salmon are pretty scarce these days. I'll probably open a can of worms, but I would suggest discontinuing stocking of salmon, to be replaced by stocking rainbows in the warm months after the lakers have gone deep. Would also suggest lowering size limit on lakers to 21", and resuming smelt fishing under strict controls and strong enforcement.
Lookin for woman that owns boat, motor, and can clean fish. Send picture of boat and motor.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3216 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:29 PM »
  Changing  the subject, has anyone caught a salmon this winter? I'm old enough to remember when the state used to stock rainbow trout. For whatever reason Salmon are pretty scarce these days. I'll probably open a can of worms, but I would suggest discontinuing stocking of salmon, to be replaced by stocking rainbows in the warm months after the lakers have gone deep. Would also suggest lowering size limit on lakers to 21", and resuming smelt fishing under strict controls and strong enforcement.
There was a lot of talk about the salmon a few pages back with a lot of opinions. Not sure if it's still there you'll have to look.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3217 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Confidence is the most important thing when it comes to fishing, without it you won't have any success.

Too bad it isn't that simple  ;D   .....  You can be full of confidence but if the fish are not feeding it won't do you a bit of good   @)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3218 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Yes you're right. What I'm saying is if you don't have it in what you're doing or using you're only hurting yourself .

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3219 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Good posts Tuna and Wanderer. I have been burned before on here, and I have been helped. Personally, I haven't once yet gone to anyones spot even though I have seen many on this site, I prefer to find my own through research... it's part of an important learning curve and I find it more rewarding.

I do enjoy helping people out greatly, but I choose to do it in person when I know the person. Information posted here is available to all kinds of people, some of whom I probably would not care to inform.
[/quote I am just leaning how to jig up laker. This weekend will be my first tip out for hunting laker down

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3220 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Bassmaster: Can you give a specific example of a quantum physics connection to fishing you've experienced?

Clunn: When I was guiding [on Lake Conroe, Texas] I had clients that could not catch fish no matter what I did. And this happened to the same people over many, many trips. It was like some type of force was at work.

This one guy stood out. I mean, it's like he repelled other things around him. He was a very negative person. He complained a lot about the wind, the heat, the way we were fishing. Over and over, this guy could not get a bite when the other guy in the boat could catch them every cast. I'd give him my rod. I'd give him my lure. I'd even make the cast for him. I tried to remove every physical variable I could.There's one instance that will always stand out to me. The year after they killed all the hydrilla in Lake Conroe, gigantic schools of bass moved to brushpiles because they had no other cover left. I had one brushpile that held thousands of bass. All you had to do was hit that brushpile with a crankbait and you'd have a 4-pounder on — every single cast.I would make the cast to make sure the crankbait would come through the brushpile. I would hand it to this guy and watch his rod tip jump when the crankbait hit the brush. I would expect his rod to load up, but it never would.And then I would think, "That can't be possible. A fish can't possibly know that this guy has a negative attitude. They're over there, and he's over here." And yet, if you look at it from a quantum physics level, yes they can.

Bassmaster: This seems to fall into the realm of confidence, in believing in what you are doing. Are you saying that if you're not confident the bass sense it and refuse to bite your lures?

Clunn: Exactly.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3221 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Too bad it isn't that simple  ;D   .....  You can be full of confidence but if the fish are not feeding it won't do you a bit of good   @)

LOL!  @)

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3222 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Bassmaster: Can you give a specific example of a quantum physics connection to fishing you've experienced?

Clunn: When I was guiding [on Lake Conroe, Texas] I had clients that could not catch fish no matter what I did. And this happened to the same people over many, many trips. It was like some type of force was at work.

This one guy stood out. I mean, it's like he repelled other things around him. He was a very negative person. He complained a lot about the wind, the heat, the way we were fishing. Over and over, this guy could not get a bite when the other guy in the boat could catch them every cast. I'd give him my rod. I'd give him my lure. I'd even make the cast for him. I tried to remove every physical variable I could.There's one instance that will always stand out to me. The year after they killed all the hydrilla in Lake Conroe, gigantic schools of bass moved to brushpiles because they had no other cover left. I had one brushpile that held thousands of bass. All you had to do was hit that brushpile with a crankbait and you'd have a 4-pounder on — every single cast.I would make the cast to make sure the crankbait would come through the brushpile. I would hand it to this guy and watch his rod tip jump when the crankbait hit the brush. I would expect his rod to load up, but it never would.And then I would think, "That can't be possible. A fish can't possibly know that this guy has a negative attitude. They're over there, and he's over here." And yet, if you look at it from a quantum physics level, yes they can.

Bassmaster: This seems to fall into the realm of confidence, in believing in what you are doing. Are you saying that if you're not confident the bass sense it and refuse to bite your lures?

Clunn: Exactly.
A fish is a fish is a fish is a fish

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3223 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Confidence in one hand, no fish in the other makes for a long day and an empty belly! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline DShooo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3224 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:13 PM »
I Still can't believe it was belly up in the hole I seriously thought it made it back down.  At least it was 23" so it could be kept

Does anybody have tips on burping a Laker?

I usually flip the LT upside down, and run my thumb from the rear to the front with just a little pressure.  You will hear a burping sound...for lack of a better description.  I almost always have to do this with the LT I catch trolling with downriggers in Raquette Lake.
I'd rather be fishing...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3225 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:59 PM »

Aint that the case! I just got done with the toughest 4 days of lake trout jigging I've ever had friday to monday.  Just a few each day.  Not even one double digit day. Throw in a skunking at Champlain for good measure.   Top it all off by locking my keys in the truck last night at FAB while we were packing up.    Gotta work hard for them right now.   At least the ones I'm seeing are biting.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3226 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:39 PM »

I think a slot limit for lakers would be perfect.  Maybe a two fish daily limit between 18-25 inches.  I don't agree with resuming smelt fishing just yet though...maybe in a few years.  Stocking rainbows isn't a bad idea although I think browns may do better. 

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3227 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:22 PM »
  I don't agree with resuming smelt fishing just yet though...maybe in a few years. 
              I believe the dip netting in spring was the reason for the decline of Smelt, they should let you us jig for Smelt only.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3228 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:50 PM »
i agree with the jigging of smelt for use as bait, also feel like the lake is over run with 18"-22" lakers,i feel a slot would be a big help in growing some bigger lakers.this is just my opinion

Fishmon

« Reply #3229 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:32 PM »

Aint that the case! I just got done with the toughest 4 days of lake trout jigging I've ever had friday to monday.  Just a few each day.  Not even one double digit day. Throw in a skunking at Champlain for good measure.   Top it all off by locking my keys in the truck last night at FAB while we were packing up.    Gotta work hard for them right now.   At least the ones I'm seeing are biting.

Whew!  I thought I lost my  touch last weekend.  Don't feel so bad now.  Worked my tail off trying to impress a friend of mine with my ability  to find lakers willing to bite in north basin.   A few is always better than none.  There is always another day but it looks like snow will be coming in again to complicate things.

Offline dollartrifecta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3230 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Anyone with any ice conditions for katskill bay? Perhaps no one here fishes there? I never seem to get a response.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3231 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, that's why this site is great. I'll get it sooner or later. On the subject of salmon, I have had several conversations with the biologist dealing with LG right now, he's a good guy. Most of what you are suggesting has been kicked around quite a bit. I'd say don't hold your breath waiting for them to try stocking a different species, chances of that are slim to none. As for the others, they may be an option.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3232 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:49 PM »
There should be a Lake George perch thread. ;D

Offline fishngameguy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3233 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Anyone with any ice conditions for katskill bay? Perhaps no one here fishes there? I never seem to get a response.
  I have not been on it but have driven by. I would presume that the conditions would not be any different than the rest of the bays. Tons of ice at least 12-14 plus inches.  4-6 inches of snow with some deeper drifts at times. Hope this helps. Measured 10 inches of ice out on the flats. Hope this helps

Offline dollartrifecta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3234 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:41 PM »
  I have not been on it but have driven by. I would presume that the conditions would not be any different than the rest of the bays. Tons of ice at least 12-14 plus inches.  4-6 inches of snow with some deeper drifts at times. Hope this helps. Measured 10 inches of ice out on the flats. Hope this helps

Sure does, thanks!

Offline cmart28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3235 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:38 PM »
I wish we could have lunker rainbows,  but i imagine it would throw off the ecological balance

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3236 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Heading into the narrows from vets Thursday any sketchy pressure cracks I should know about thanks.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3237 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:08 AM »
I think they should change the limit to 3 fish away any size.That would help the bigger fish get to feed easer.Most guys would keep the fish they catch.Every one happy and some thing for dinner. :icefish: :clap:

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3238 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:10 AM »
a day not away :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3239 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:22 AM »
any one been parking on basin bay and getting out on the main lake?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.