New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346990 times)

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3120 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Perch bite was good today. Until the lakers moved in. They broke my line twice and got most of my good perch jigs. >:(
Yeah same here had about 35 caught then 2 Lakers and it shut right off. Ended up with 44 probably had 10 that were 11-12". Seems like I'm finally finding the big females!!

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3121 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:28 PM »
i'm in tc,call me in the am.  if this gets posted by then.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3122 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:28 PM »
On to another subject.Out in the am on sled going to fish a 65 ' hump a little north of dome.Been looking at it on the map.Hope i can find it.Meal worm has a nab app on his phone way cool.Any body want to go pm me. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
mite be able to fish still waiting to hear from my boss

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3123 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:32 PM »
sounds good we can use your phone to find that dang hump man. ;D

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3124 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:38 PM »
sure sounds good

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3125 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Nice fish Brian and great pics!

MK

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #3126 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Brian, thanks for the pics, nice fish...Wish i could have been out there today...Barebow

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3127 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Nice fish

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3128 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Hey SS.  How is the mount holding up?    Wondering if like everything else loses it's luster and look as it gets older.    Mines about 8 years old now and hasn't changed much but I see some done that haven't stood the test of time

It still looks like the day I brought it home.

However, my 10lb 6oz Fiberglass Largemouth replica will no doubt last much, much longer.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3129 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Great pics. I know about the walk dragging my yukon behind. Slept well every night. ;)
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3130 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Arrived at 1030 and left at 3. Fished 60-70fow with silver and white pimples. Also used a white tubes jig. My buddy had one break the line using blue buckshot tipped with a shiner. We got shunned but it was nice to get out. Be careful around that second pressure and I would be very cautious in that area. 3 super nice dec officers in the parking lot...just seem to be hanging out. Great day to be out.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3131 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Was out today...fishing was slow for me but I always seem to slay them or almost get skunked...ended up with one short laker.  Got checked by a really nice dec officer on a sled....nothing but good to say about them.

Offline ziggy6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3132 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Seems some daredevil with his vehicle on the ice flipped his truck numerous times while doing donuts,,, got off with minor injuries. Wonder how fast he was going ?   Only word that come to my mind is  Moron!

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3133 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Nice fish Brian.

Offline dollartrifecta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3134 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Fished Dunhams today perch bite was ok, between 4 of us we got around 60 8-11 inchers. Only one flag all day on the tip ups, very slow!    The 40 minute walk dragging a packed jet sled has my legs feeling like jello.   Has anybody been out on katskill bay?  If so how was ice?

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3135 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Brian, Nice looking trout...Congrats! was out there this afternoon, ended up with 3 shorts after 3:30 in 96' on jigging rods.  There were a lot on the bottom, but the Big Boys didn't want to commit,\. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline Slob slammer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yeah you can't get there from here. Sorry
« Reply #3136 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Is there anywhere to get into nw bay besides vets? 
Fish like to eat so try to feed them

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3137 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Great Fish Brian!! :flex: :flex: :flex:
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3138 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:40 PM »
The tipup guys were doing good today.  Jigging was sub-par for me.

Offline merlin488

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3139 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Nice ones Brian

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3140 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Was out the last 2 days perch fishing and entertaining the lakers with tiny perch jigs. Caught a 26" and a 24" Saturday and my buddy caught a short. Had 5 or 6 others on and a few more chasers I couldn't get to hit. Today there were a lot less on the screen and even less willing to chase. Finally got 2 to hit and caught them both, 22" and one smaller. The perch disappear when the lakers show up but they come back after a few minutes. Wonder if I used a white perch jig I could get more of the chasers to hit ;DGotta admit I'm having fun messin' with the lakers. I have yet to lose a jig to them this year but with 3lb test and a micro lite 24" rod you've to take it easy with them. Someday I'll have to venture out to some deeper water and try this laker fishing for real  ;)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3141 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Guys,
I cleaned up some of the back and forth stuff. This is a really good thread with a ton of info.
Let's try and keep it that way. Please.

To keep it on track:
I don't put up the numbers a lot of these guys do jigging, but I've gotten my share of time in the last 2 weeks.  ;D
My biggest trout to date came jigging a small swedish pimple. I'm calling it a fluke, but chocking it up to the amount of hours I've spent out there. 
I like to mix up how I present my bait on tipups, but I can't ignore this stat. Aside from one fish. All of my 23" and up fish have come on tipups with a dead sucker sliced up the gut and laid right on the bottom. I've caught plenty of shorts on live bait 1-20 foot off the bottom. And plenty shorts jigging. All the big ones have come on dead bait.
It's a major pain in the butt fishing tipups that deep, but it's been pretty productive for me.
Try laying some big dead stuff on the bottom where you're getting all your shorts.
Something I've etched into my brain the last 2 years. I'm regurgitating this, but I forget from whom. A big fishes main goal is to ingest the most amount of calories while using the least amount of calories to get it. This theory as held true many times over for me the last 2 years.
Big, dead, bottom. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3142 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Is there anywhere to get into nw bay besides vets?

If you find one don't post it here.

Offline Wags721

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3143 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Going to the lake tomorrow.  Are we better off at vets or million dollar beach.  Really just looking to catch fish anything is ok with us.   Have there been lakers catch at MDB. 

Offline Slob slammer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yeah you can't get there from here. Sorry
« Reply #3144 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Mdb is having the winter festival going on no sure how many people during the week though.   

Prchslyr :::   Why would you have to clean up a bs thread?  People expressing thier opinions on different things and views of the site and what they think about the sport .   I know this had members of all age groups but where is the line of what people can write?   

JogSchtickgeorge:::  after reading more on this and other threads I agree.   It seems that the areas mentioned the most pilot knob and vets have the most traffic wich invites more of the individuals that ruin it for the good people    I spend more time picking up after people then fishing somedays( it seems). I understand why some people would have a issue with telling where they had good days . I know it's a big lake but 90% of the fish( good fish) are held up in 10. % of the lake
Fish like to eat so try to feed them

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #3145 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:50 AM »
As I sit in the hospital with my mother and sister I can't help but think you are all nuts hahaha

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3146 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:55 AM »
They ok?
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3147 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:14 AM »
Mdb is having the winter festival going on no sure how many people during the week though.   

Prchslyr :::   Why would you have to clean up a bs thread?  People expressing thier opinions on different things and views of the site and what they think about the sport .   I know this had members of all age groups but where is the line of what people can write?   

JogSchtickgeorge:::  after reading more on this and other threads I agree.   It seems that the areas mentioned the most pilot knob and vets have the most traffic wich invites more of the individuals that ruin it for the good people    I spend more time picking up after people then fishing somedays( it seems). I understand why some people would have a issue with telling where they had good days . I know it's a big lake but 90% of the fish( good fish) are held up in 10. % of the lake

I just want to be able to park close to where I want to fish.  I don't mind getting up at five am to fish.  But to get up at five and still have to worry about finding a parking spot is nuts. 

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3148 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:50 AM »
 On the tip up vs jigging question, here is my opinion.I have seen several 10# plus lakers caught on both methods.I like to set tip ups and jig.We are allowed 5 tip ups and 2 jig rods so why not use them?I think that both methods are equally productive depending on the day.The more "bait" you have in the water the more likely you are to catch those Bigger fish.
 I have seen 4 lakers over 14# caught on jig rods.However 2 of those lakers were caught while jigging perch.I have seen 5 lakers over 10# caught on tip ups.2 of these were 14# plus fish.Some with big bait, some with perch bait, some with suckers, some with hunts.We have never used dead bait however.
 What I am getting at is, there is no number 1 system.Everyone has thier own spin on things.What works for me might not work for Perchslyr or vice versa.What you have the most confidence in is what you are going to use the most.You will never catch the big ones if your gear is not in the water.Drill alot of holes and spend as much time out there as possible.

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3149 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:46 AM »
On the tip up vs jigging question, here is my opinion.I have seen several 10# plus lakers caught on both methods.I like to set tip ups and jig.We are allowed 5 tip ups and 2 jig rods so why not use them?I think that both methods are equally productive depending on the day.The more "bait" you have in the water the more likely you are to catch those Bigger fish.
 I have seen 4 lakers over 14# caught on jig rods.However 2 of those lakers were caught while jigging perch.I have seen 5 lakers over 10# caught on tip ups.2 of these were 14# plus fish.Some with big bait, some with perch bait, some with suckers, some with hunts.We have never used dead bait however.
 What I am getting at is, there is no number 1 system.Everyone has thier own spin on things.What works for me might not work for Perchslyr or vice versa.What you have the most confidence in is what you are going to use the most.You will never catch the big ones if your gear is not in the water.Drill alot of holes and spend as much time out there as possible.
agreed but a watched pot never boils and when I set tipups I find myself watching them more than I watch my flasher...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.