New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346934 times)

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2490 on: Jan 28, 2014, 02:34 PM »
Hopefully a nice big laker! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike

LOL!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2491 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:30 PM »
For a time this weekend I got outfished by a buckshot with NO bait on it what so ever...

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2492 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:32 PM »
You know what I mean...For bait? you don't just fish with the sweedish pimple do you?
At 64, I don't have pimples anymore...just messing with ya! I'll usually try a head or pc. of cut bait and be aggressive with it when I'm down there. Don't be afraid to bring it up fast, a lot of the time the lakers will be aggressive and go after them on way up. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2493 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:41 PM »
I'm not looking for anyone secret spot but how far out do I need to walk from Vets to get into some deeper laker water's? I don't have a machine and will have my kid with me on Sat and Sun.  I was up last Friday fishing 25 fow and less...targeting pike. I did not walk far at all ::)  I saw alot of perch fisherman in front of me but never made it out that far where it seemed to open up more to the main part of the lake. Any help would be appreciated. I really want my son to catch some lakers

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2494 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:43 PM »
At 64, I don't have pimples anymore...just messing with ya! I'll usually try a head or pc. of cut bait and be aggressive with it when I'm down there. Don't be afraid to bring it up fast, a lot of the time the lakers will be aggressive and go after them on way up. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
I thought I had a handle on getting them to chase and hit until last weekend. I was able to get a good handful to follow me up 20' and more. I have a BAD habit of stopping my action when the lines line up on my flasher and the fish would turn away.  :P I blame it on fishing perch too much. I tried everything I could think of. Wasn't until after I got off that a buddy told me to NOT stop reeling when they're chasing like that. They're more apt to hit on the chase.
Maybe my failure might be able to help someone else.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2495 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I'm not looking for anyone secret spot but how far out do I need to walk from Vets to get into some deeper laker water's? I don't have a machine and will have my kid with me on Sat and Sun.  I was up last Friday fishing 25 fow and less...targeting pike. I did not walk far at all ::)  I saw alot of perch fisherman in front of me but never made it out that far where it seemed to open up more to the main part of the lake. Any help would be appreciated. I really want my son to catch some lakers
Out of Vet's. It might be a little more than a mile.
You'd have to get out beyond Green Island to be in the nice deep water.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2496 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Went out today and used a buckshot.  No bait on it.  Just some smelt oil.    Landed 17.    A lot of small ones 18-21 inches.   Wished I had somebody with me today to get some pics and video.   At times I had 5-6 lakers on the screen at once.     The only bad thing was that I lost a pole down the hole:( was warming up my hands holding the pole with my knees and well.     Yeah.   I wasn't quick enough before it was down the hole
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2497 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Is green island where the Sagamore is? I need to get the sportmans map of contour lake :'( I  Sorry to bug you..Prchslyr

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2498 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I thought I had a handle on getting them to chase and hit until last weekend. I was able to get a good handful to follow me up 20' and more. I have a BAD habit of stopping my action when the lines line up on my flasher and the fish would turn away.  :P I blame it on fishing perch too much. I tried everything I could think of. Wasn't until after I got off that a buddy told me to NOT stop reeling when they're chasing like that. They're more apt to hit on the chase.
Maybe my failure might be able to help someone else.
It's amazing how aggressive that they will be! The human thing is to stop, don't play cat and mouse. They will go after it, When the feed is on they will bang it! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2499 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:59 PM »
Is green island where the Sagamore is? I need to get the sportmans map of contour lake :'( I  Sorry to bug you..Prchslyr
No bother man.
Green Island is the Sagamore.
I downloaded the Navionics app on my phone and the LG map last weekend. It was $9.99.
It blew my freaking mind how dead on it was. It'll take a ton of the guesswork out of the equation.

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #2500 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:07 PM »
That app is awesome ! Shout out to the guys at 307 for making my auger cut like brand spankin new you saved the day..vets is cool but if you want a short walk to deep water try hearthstone campground or drive to the very end of pilot knob rd

Offline Mayne, J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2501 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:13 PM »
First time using plastics no vex so lost a few but good day out of vets. Couldn't belive how they would suck it off the botom like a catfish

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2502 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:48 PM »
if you can start getting even witht the tip of crown you are getting to 50..a lot of guys take a right at the tip of green and walkstaright out past crown..I walked 900 meters on monday and probably had another 400 till laker water.I was Iin 40.perch fishing
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2503 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:54 PM »
alot of good info in here.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2504 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:21 PM »
for sure, great for tourism and the bait shops.. Wasn't a propane tank to be found in LG Monday

Offline Oilcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2505 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:31 PM »
for sure, great for tourism and the bait shops.. Wasn't a propane tank to be found in LG Monday
Yeah well I've found my share of empties on the lake!

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2506 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:36 PM »
that's cause I bought all of then . Had 4 new tanks . And my heater didn't stay lit

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2507 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:43 PM »
i refill my 1 lbrs and the 20 was empty so we stoped at a few places to pick up extra 1 lbrs.. Nadda...
Shame they were all empty on the ice, I woulda taken them home for refill, once the 20 gets filled again  ;D

Offline mnt fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2508 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:24 PM »
i refill my 1 lbrs and the 20 was empty so we stoped at a few places to pick up extra 1 lbrs.. Nadda...
Shame they were all empty on the ice, I woulda taken them home for refill, once the 20 gets filled again  ;D
Read the side of the bottle fed law 500.000 fine and prison time for refilling,Just sayin

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2509 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:26 PM »
20lb tank.      Yeah I'll pass my sled weighs enough already. 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2510 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:27 PM »
^^^^^ I agree

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2511 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Read the side of the bottle fed law 500.000 fine and prison time for refilling,Just sayin

yea OK.. I;m quite sure I;m on the most wanted list..

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #2512 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Glad this is a BS thread.  Otherwise by the looks of things there would be a lot of smart fish in the lake.  So much for p.m's.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2513 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:15 PM »
20lb would be nice but its just another thing you have to lugg out there :P

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2514 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:29 PM »
I will be out there sat going out of vets for lakers we should have a bunch of guys going anyone want to stop we will have a black portable shanty.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #2515 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:40 PM »
X2

Offline Lakerluver12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2516 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Hey everyone.  Been fishing north and south basin a fair bit this year and catching a LOT of dink perch.  Some days it's been hard to put many in the bucket, even when they are biting!  Any thoughts on why that is?  Are there less of the bigger perch?  Are the bigger ones more affected by barometer changes?  Any theories?  Big ones are usually female, maybe they are in deeper water? 

HELP!  My husband obsesses over this for hours every day and I need answers so I can go back to attempting to learn how to jig lakers, haha.  But seriously, we both do love to jig perch and love to freeze enough for the year!  Just wishing they were as big as they used to be! 

Would love any thoughts, theories, or brainstorms.

Thanks!
Love that Laker jigging!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2517 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:01 PM »
You know what I mean...For bait? you don't just fish with the sweedish pimple do you?

Yes... That's it!  Lakers are crazy.  I'm full blown addicted since I got a vex ;)

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2518 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Went out today and used a buckshot.  No bait on it.  Just some smelt oil.    Landed 17.    A lot of small ones 18-21 inches.   Wished I had somebody with me today to get some pics and video.   At times I had 5-6 lakers on the screen at once.     The only bad thing was that I lost a pole down the hole:( was warming up my hands holding the pole with my knees and well.     Yeah.   I wasn't quick enough before it was down the hole

Umm a post like that requires GPS coordinates!!! 

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #2519 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:35 PM »

... just a thought on this subject of propane tank use for heaters on the ice:

... this (1) one gallon tank (click the link below) will generally last (2) two, maybe even (4) four days, depending on how cold, or high you run your heater(s) - for about $3.00 to fill it, it'll pay for itself the first season, if you're currently a 15+ days a year on the ice enthusiast, and still using the throw away 1#'rs ... very cheap, and lite / small to carry out / back ... a investment, but worth it. ($52.97 + free shipping, and add $4.63 tax.) it's 9 1/8" Dia. x 12" high.

The Worthington 281149 1-Gallon Steel Propane Cylinder, Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve:

Click the link:http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-281149-1-Gallon-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B000SKX63U/ref=pd_sbs_lg_2 or

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthington-Pro-Grade-4-25-lb-Empty-Propane-Tank-281149/202034835?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|D28I&mid=sVpOzsD6L|dc_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_35470817981_pkw_worthington%20281149_pmt_p&gclid=CJfe8NGs3LwCFUcV7AodaEgABA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SKX63U/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.