New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347077 times)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2310 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:50 PM »

It was good meeting up with again Mike, you and Kevin sure landed a couple of nice fish. I didn't land a fish at the 1st spot we were at, then I moved down to where TC5 was and landed 6 in 1 hour but nothing like the 2 you guys got. I hope we can meet up again down where we were last year. It sure was a nice day out there today. :)

IW

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2311 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I think I passed you guys on your way in .

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2312 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys!  Jon that's awesome turning your friend on to his first laker thrill! It NEVER gets old!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2313 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Yeah getting your pic mike at work made me jealous.     Knowing I'm on days this weekend and have to wait till Tuesday to fish again just sucks.     When's Kevin making the trip again.  I'm indexing shift again so my days off are going to change weekly
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #2314 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:14 PM »
An earthquake is a great way to explain the way it felt and sounded. It scared the hell out of me and my brother.
You could hear it coming down the ice, it was like rolling. I got on at vets at a little after 12 and access was fine but getting off at around 3 was a different story. The ice heaved all along the shore.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #2315 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:54 PM »
Jon, great job ruining your friend.   ;D He'll be addicted now.  Jeff, I remember when you were first starting out and now 6 in one hour.  Jason, I'll be fishing mostly Mondays and/or Tuesdays- give me a shout.

Offline reservoirdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2316 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Went out from Vets Park this morning with Kevin (BC Shanty) and met up IW, Jon and SOF.  Colder than a Well Digger's A$$ today! Also Felt the icequake, moved me and my shanty sideways! LOL! Bite was intermittent, never really turning on for more than a few 5 minute bursts of chasing activity over an 8 hour period.  Nonetheless, we still managed our share of fish.  Kevin and I totaled 30 fish with 7 misses and I got lucky on a nice chunky 30" !  FYI for those running sleds and wheelers tomorrow, a good sized pressure ridge formed today running N-S just past Crown so eyes open guys! Good seeing all you guys today!

Mike

Way to Go Brother !!!!! Looks like your lakerfest is starting to roll !!! nice job on the 30/30 makes for an easy count !!!!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #2317 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:17 PM »
great fish, might have weds off next week, prob head down for the afternoon.
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2318 on: Jan 25, 2014, 03:01 AM »
Went out from Vets Park this morning with Kevin (BC Shanty) and met up IW, Jon and SOF.  Colder than a Well Digger's A$$ today! Also Felt the icequake, moved me and my shanty sideways! LOL! Bite was intermittent, never really turning on for more than a few 5 minute bursts of chasing activity over an 8 hour period.  Nonetheless, we still managed our share of fish.  Kevin and I totaled 30 fish with 7 misses and I got lucky on a nice chunky 30" !  FYI for those running sleds and wheelers tomorrow, a good sized pressure ridge formed today running N-S just past Crown so eyes open guys! Good seeing all you guys today!

Mike

Awesome day Mike and Kevin, sorry I had to stay back again.  I'll send pictures from Raquette today, we changed our game plan, going near Osprey Island and Strawberry Island.  Talk with you later.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2319 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Balls  :bow: Great fish!         

WS

Offline sanfordnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2320 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Just want to note with the very cold temperatures to be sure to get the fish back into the water quickly before they freeze, doesn't take long for the fin tips and eyes to ice up when temps are in the single digits and below. Also try to handle the fish with care, stay away from the gill area and don't squeeze too much near the head and belly. Instead of holding them vertically for a picture, it is better for the fish to cradle them with two hands and squeeze only around the tail if needed. I've seen damaged gill plates on fish that were held by them, the tissue wasn't meant to support the weight of the whole fish there; and studies have shown that the spine gets damaged when they are held by the lip and start to thrash around. They may swim away but will die afterwards but there is no way of knowing about it.

Of course this is only for fish you intend to release, do what you want with keepers.  ;D There are plenty of lakers to go around and it won't hurt to remove some, the best eating fish are the smaller ones. Consider letting the larger fish(28"+) go so we can all have a chance at some bigger fish, would be nice to see more 15-20 pounders around. @)

Not picking on anyone in particular and don't want anyone to feel the need to get defensive, just trying to pass on what I have learned so we can all enjoy this resource. Curious what others have to add, thanks.
[/quote.  I agree with you 1000%
There are plenty of fish for everyone-if we take care of them and it would be nice to catch more in the 15-20 lb range (hope to get one of them on Friday)

Offline sanfordnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2321 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:14 AM »
This is exactly what I was trying to convey. I was not trying to piss anybody off or make fun of. I have been trout fishing Lake G. back when all laker's caught had clipped fins. I have caught way more shorty's than keepers and took extreme measures to try and release them unharmed. And hoping that one day they will be another trophy on the end of my line.   

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #2322 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Jagr nice catch and great pics as usual. ;D ;D

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2323 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Jagr nice catch and great pics as usual. ;D ;D

Thanks Bro!

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2324 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:41 AM »
It was like that last year @ Lake George Extravaganza and hopefully again with Jacob's tournament! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
caught two lakers there last year and had many more on during the get together last year
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2325 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:42 AM »

Offline TipUpTom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2326 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Has anyone been out Huddle towards Dome or seen anyone out there fishing?

Offline twinkme20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2327 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I haven't had any luck on the lake this year for lakers...any tips on rigs and bait?

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #2328 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:26 AM »
wind is whippin.. ill be out on vets tuesday morning bright and early. if anyone wants to meet up.. black chevy 1500... 04 body style. kick sled and shappel 3000 pop up. if you see me say whats up.

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2329 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Wicked day Mike.Nice fish!

Offline foulhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2330 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm just checkin in on the situation in Hague.. I'm a little south(albany) of everyone who's lucky enough to be there all of the time for this special time of year. Is there good ice north of friends point? Any info would be greatly appreciated. ??? :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2331 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Wicked day Mike.Nice fish!

Thanks EJ!

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2332 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Watch out for the eye of the needle where the pushup is west of Dome...almost always oppen due to current surging straight up...Barebow...

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2333 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:49 PM »
is there ice at north end yet, near rogers rock ? hope for an answer before this gets deleted! i dont get where you are supposed to ask this, it got booted off reports page , so now what.

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2334 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:58 PM »
Hey lakerman, on the lake geaorge bs page on page 117 mike304 posted he went all the way to rogers rock and the whole lake was froze. Hope this helps. :tipup:

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #2335 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:59 PM »
good question,INFO IS  WHAT WE ARE ALL ABOUT,TO HELP OTHER
FISHERS
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #2336 on: Jan 25, 2014, 03:48 PM »
How's the hill at hearthstone?

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2337 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I have never fished lake george..and I'm located about 45 from the lake and I was wondering if it would be worth the trip or not and if so where should I go on the lake

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2338 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I drive up for the day, sometimes 3 times a week and I live 2 1/2 hours away! It's THAT good!  :)

MK

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2339 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:21 PM »
I drive up for the day, sometimes 3 times a week and I live 2 1/2 hours away! It's THAT good!  :)

MK
It is that GREAT! I'll make that trip everyday,, it is worth it. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.