New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347104 times)

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2220 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Never fished Harris Bay.....where is parking? Like to get out tomorrow.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2221 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:19 PM »
South Basin is all frozen now, from Long Island north to Pilot Knob to Dome. @)
Great news. It was calm when I went to bed and calm this morning. Wonder how far north it froze. It was supposedly calm in Hague and Ti today also.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2222 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:19 PM »
The loons being there is unfortunate. They need open water to take off and migrate or the predators snatch them easily off if the ice. They aren't meant for walking on land at all.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2223 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Never fished Harris Bay.....where is parking? Like to get out tomorrow.

You can park on the side of 9L by the marina.  You'll see other trucks parked there.  Please don't leave any trash like half the people that fish there.  It can feel like a long drag with any snow on the ice though so be prepared. 

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2224 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Where's the best place to get spoons and Jigs for the King??

Fish 307 probably has the best selection although sometimes the good ones get sold out.  They've got all the basics though.

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2226 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:35 PM »
I'll be taking the 4 wheeler tomorrow.... Should be good ice.

JJ

« Reply #2227 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:36 PM »
The loons being there is unfortunate. They need open water to take off and migrate or the predators snatch them easily off if the ice. They aren't meant for walking on land at all.

It was last winter, 5 of them were stranded in a small opening, they were starving. One died at the vet, one was snatched by an eagle and I managed to get the last three to Lake Champlain.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2228 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I hope they don't run over to pk and tory to get on should give it a couple of days at least.Please be car full with the machines.It may look good but you know what.See you out there. ;)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2229 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:53 PM »
How do you access vets beach? I just google mapped it and cant find the darn place. I read its a 1/4 mile north of rogers memorial park.  I can see rogers but don't see Vets. Any help would be appreciated.  :'(

JJ

« Reply #2230 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Just past Stewarts in Bolton landing, big parking lot, you will see people parked there.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2231 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Now that the Pilot Knob area is frozen I think all you guys should give it a week or two to make sure it is nice and solid. You never can be too careful.    ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2232 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Come on North End!

Offline Wheretheperchat?

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat,Sleep,Ice Fish And love Sadie Robertson
« Reply #2233 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:24 PM »
heading out to vets saturday with some guys should be a fun day. :tipup:
Don`t pee into the wind.

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2234 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:30 PM »
How's the north end by ti/hearts bay? Anyone?

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2235 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Nice job saving those birds!  I always feel bad for critters in dire straits.

They are kinda ugly but it was the right thing to do.

They actually look like a loon and a cormorant cross.  Loons are much prettier looking IMO.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #2236 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:59 PM »
any of you lake george guys ever use zoom flukes. gonna be trying for some lakers in the finger lakes and we were gonna try them as my buddy does well with them from his boat
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2237 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:01 PM »
any of you lake george guys ever use zoom flukes. gonna be trying for some lakers in the finger lakes and we were gonna try them as my buddy does well with them from his boat

I was wondering the same thing as the flukes are awesome on a drop shot rig for fish cruising just off the bottom.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2238 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I was wondering the same thing as the flukes are awesome on a drop shot rig for fish cruising just off the bottom.

I HAMMER fish with that set up out of the boat, that and the berkley shad/smelt minnow drop shot.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #2239 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Tomorrow's dad's day to get out without the boys. So should I hit vets or bixby? I know either place I can get into some perch.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2240 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:57 PM »
It was last winter, 5 of them were stranded in a small opening, they were starving. One died at the vet, one was snatched by an eagle and I managed to get the last three to Lake Champlain.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

That's amazing you were able to save the three at least! I'd like to think any conservationist or anyone with an ounce of compassion and common sense would have done the same. Thank you and thank you for sharing!

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #2241 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Decided to change things up today and go for perch with fontana19.Bite was really slow really had to work them.managed to take home 25 keepers while Fontana managed 30.caught a lot of dinks,caught a bunch of smelt early this morning,all caught and released,fontana jig up a fat cisco.Both of us managed to catch a laker on the ultralites.what a blast.measured 5 to 8 inches of ice.nice cold day to be out fishing.Icefishersteve nice to meet you. :icefish: :icefish:

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2242 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Nice lakers guys :tipup:

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #2243 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:30 PM »
nice lakers... i fished wednesday in the wind off huddle.. 5-6 inches... are any of you guys on this thread with the dudes who are always in a line at the opening of the bay?.. no matter what you guys are out there!! and it seems like every stinkin day too.. hats off to you guys real die hards.. i never make it out that far maybe next time.. message me im the one who always comes out in the shappel shanty had a kick sled with me wednesday..

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2244 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:50 PM »
I HAMMER fish with that set up out of the boat, that and the berkley shad/smelt minnow drop shot.

yup. Smallie killer setup.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2245 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Decided to change things up today and go for perch with fontana19.Bite was really slow really had to work them.managed to take home 25 keepers while Fontana managed 30.caught a lot of dinks,caught a bunch of smelt early this morning,all caught and released,fontana jig up a fat cisco.Both of us managed to catch a laker on the ultralites.what a blast.measured 5 to 8 inches of ice.nice cold day to be out fishing.Icefishersteve nice to meet you
Nice meeting you guys too. Took me a while to find fish but I found them. I also caught a laker, 23". 4lb test and UL rods makes for a fun fight for sure. Had to run to a nearby shanty for a guy to measure it for me and released it. You guys must have stayed til dark. I left 30 min before. I will be back out tomorrow.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #2246 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Nice meeting you guys too. Took me a while to find fish but I found them. I also caught a laker, 23". 4lb test and UL rods makes for a fun fight for sure. Had to run to a nearby shanty for a guy to measure it for me and released it. You guys must have stayed til dark. I left 30 min before. I will be back out tomorrow.
glad you were able to hook up with these guys and C&R your 1st laker, and on UL tackle, even better!!!

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2247 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:46 AM »
The pics of those birds are of juvenile loons.  They migrate later than the adults for some reason.

Offline jeep528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2248 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:19 AM »
I would imagine the parking lot for vets will fill up fast tomorrow morning, is there anywhere else to park in that area, I plan on bringing the Quad and trailor. thanks

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2249 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:30 AM »
I would imagine the parking lot for vets will fill up fast tomorrow morning, is there anywhere else to park in that area, I plan on bringing the Quad and trailor. thanks
I'm right there with you man. I'll bet that place is going to be an absolute zoo this weekend.
I might scratch that place myself and head elsewhere on the lake.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.