Author Topic: Ice camping question…  (Read 1400 times)

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice camping question…
« on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:02 PM »
Good evening everyone…

Last year, toward the end of the season, my son (12 years old) and I did an overnight in our new quickfish 6i.  It was awesome and, due to the temperatures outside late in the season, was actually quite warm.

Schedules have been crazy, and the continue to be, but this weekend is actually pretty open (figures).  He keeps asking to go out soI am thinking about heading out with him tomorrow night but am unsure how it will be as it’s much colder than when we went last year…

Love life experiences from the group…

If temperatures are 0 outside with minimal wind, then what’s the rough inside temperature with a big buddy heater?  Floors would be covered with foam mats.  Sleeping bags are decent but we would have extra blankets to go on top if needed… 

And yes, we would absolutely have a co2 detector in she shack.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice camping question…
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:07 PM »
I do alot of overnights in cold temps and its very important to pack a folding cott and get up off the floor I have gotten by with the standard buddy heater in subzero temps, a good sub zero temp sleeping bag as well, Battery clip on fans to circulate heat works pretty well, And make sure to use any snow to cover the flaps and further insulate

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:07 PM »
No one is going to be able to give you an exact or approximate temp. Too many variables. It’s always best to prepare for the worst. I personally use a sleeping bag with a -10 safety rating. As mentioned, fans are huge, packing snow around the skirt and a cot to get you off the ground. A sleeping pad would add another layer of warmth. A fan is a must to push the warm air down and circulate it. I highly recommend using a 5-20lb tank on the buddy if possible. Nothing worse than changing out 1lb tanks in the middle of the night because you woke up from the freezing cold.
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:09 PM »
Also I’m gonna be that guy…. You need a CO detector (carbon monoxide) not CO2 (carbon dioxide).
Tight Lines!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:26 PM »
Insulation under your bodies is very important. Even in the best sleeping bag the insulation is compressed under the weight of your body and thus looses a lot of R value.  Separation between you and the ice is critical.  Even with a cot an insulating pad is very important.
Hopefully you are using mummy style bags, as its critical to keep your head and neck area warm.  Also remember to put on all fresh dry clothes before going to bed, even the smallest amount of perspiration on in your clothes can make you cold.

Though your schedule is free, weather wise this may not be the weekend to take on such an adventure - consider the Risk vs Reward.

If you do take it on, have a bail-out plan ready in case it gets to be too much...

Good Luck

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:58 PM »
All of the above of course…but what I feel is MOST important is getting up off the floor/mats/etc. with a cot. one of the most miserable nights of my life was sleeping overnight in my bobhouse with my dog. I felt so bad that ai couldn’t keep her warm (I did) but it cost me my nights sleep. Elevate above the frost line!

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2023, 10:02 PM »
Evening all. Quick update….

Yes, we would use a co2 detector, floor mats, cot, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, extra blankets, a wood stove fan on the heater and a battery fan on the ceiling.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2023, 10:12 PM »
Good luck and post pictures of what you catch without giving away your spot. I hope you bring a bucket or other means to deal with solid waste.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2023, 02:44 PM »
Coldest ive done was -6 overnight and it was doable but not overtly comfortable.  Will advise, foam floor mats will stick to the ice and you will ruin them pulling them off.  Small trade off.  Change clothes before getting into the bag or you will freeze.  Dont wear cotton in the bag or youll freeze too.

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:47 PM »
Thank you everyone. We pulled the trip off.

My 12 year old son and I took off for the lake around 1pm on Saturday. After two trips back-and-forth to the truck carrying a load each time we had everything on the ice. Set up took a little longer than expected because I wanted to make sure everything was how we wanted it for the night.

When everything was set up he started jigging from the end of his cot. A few fish later I cooked up some chowder and cheese quesadillas for dinner. We jigged a few more hours and put quite a few crappie on the ice. Surprisingly enough, we’ve been caught a horned pout before setting the rattle reel for the night.

Evening conditions were cold outside. Probably close to 5° at most. We slept in a comfortable 60° tent before waking up to more fishing and sausage and egg sandwiches.

Great night and one that we will both remember for quite a while.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:53 PM »
Sounds like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:55 PM »
Awesome
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2023, 02:14 PM »
Sounds like a great time and memories made... Gotta love it when you hear a horned pout barking in the hole lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2023, 03:18 PM »
Sounds like a great overnight!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2023, 03:59 PM »
That's amazing.  Sounds like a great kid and he's lucky to have a father like you. 

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:01 PM »
Tough to beat by the sound of it. Well done
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:06 PM »
I've only winter camped a few times.  Everyone of them was memorable.  This doesn't sound any different, great job!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:52 PM »
Glad it worked out and you caught fish!
Tight Lines!

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. One the most memorable fishing trips for me was spending the weekend out for the derby last year. Ice camping was so much fun. Lots of prep/gear required but so worth it in the long run!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:43 PM »
As others have said - sounds like a great trip. Well done

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:22 AM »
Great times there and ones you both will never forget.  My son is now 16 so ice fishing is no longer the number 1 priority in the winter however, I think we have an overnight planned in a couple weeks during his February vacation.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.