Author Topic: Garmin Striker 5 Issue  (Read 761 times)

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
Garmin Striker 5 Issue
« on: Feb 03, 2023, 11:43 AM »
I’ve had this for a year now, still learning and having a ton of fun with it. It’s an absolute game changer.
Once in a while I get a crazy picture like this. Or sometimes just one single straight line rising up. Is this just glitchy stuff? The unit being weird? Or do I have settings “wrong”?

I just really need to get out with someone who knows the best way to make it work and help me out!
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin Striker 5 Issue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2023, 11:50 AM »
I have same.unit I only use mine on the dual screen with sonar and the graph. That way I can watch my jig in 2 different spots
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:01 PM »
My Echomap does those lines every once in a while too. My best guess is that sometimes it picks up the line or something.  Doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about it.

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:03 PM »
I have Lowrance Elite 5 that shows one line like that now and again. Doesn't seem to bother anything

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:34 PM »
Possibly air bubbles rising off your lure after physical contact by a fish. Looks like your sonar gain is set at an overly high level which exaggerates the return signals. Try reducing the gain so your lure 'track' is as small as possible while remaining perfectly visible on screen.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:38 PM »
Were you jigging or was your jig just hanging in one spot? Trying to figure out the (red) lines on the graph. If you were jigging and pounding the bottom, it could be debris stirred up off the bottom. If the jig was just hanging there and that was a fish that swam up and took off it could just be air bubbles caused by the fish. Also you might want to see what your settings are at, if your sensitivity is maxed out that could be causing you to pick up everything in the water column.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:40 PM »
Ive got that unit but turn sensitivity down to where it reads thin lines but looks like you have it in zoom?i thinks its air bubbles.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:45 PM »
Common to see that. My Bird Helix does it occasionally. Make sure your ducer is a foot or so under the ice. Sensitivity could be a little strong, and check you don't have any ice build up on the bottom of the ducer.

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2023, 02:24 PM »
Were you jigging or was your jig just hanging in one spot? Trying to figure out the (red) lines on the graph. If you were jigging and pounding the bottom, it could be debris stirred up off the bottom. If the jig was just hanging there and that was a fish that swam up and took off it could just be air bubbles caused by the fish. Also you might want to see what your settings are at, if your sensitivity is maxed out that could be causing you to pick up everything in the water column.

Fishing on a Jaw Jacker. The two bold red lines I'm confident are the weight and the smelt sitting at the same depth. Also confident that the squiggly line is a fish moving around towards both. Going to keep playing with settings to see what else can happen. Thanks!
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2023, 04:15 PM »
Yup. Looks like a fish came up off the bottom to investigate and went back down. Solid lines will be your weight and the bait for sure. You can adjust the sensitivity down until the weight and bait are thin lines.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:28 PM »
If it was bubbles they'd all be rising at the same rate.  That looks to me like the fish either hit whatever the red line is and stirred something up or took a massive growler while he was looking at it.  Either way it's more a symptom of having your gain cranked up really high than anything wrong.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.