New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095216 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Axel2610.Twinlakefishe r welcome to Ice Shanty ,can I ask a small favor from both of you please update your profiles with your respective locations it helps me and others when replying to your posts. Also for your knowledge once each of you reaches 3 posts you will be able to access to New York Reports and Conditions forum/board. There is a thread for Sullivan county small waters and other waters in south east NY. A good season to both of you.
Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Welcome TLF, Actually it is pretty rare to be out on safe ice much before the new year around here. It certainly can and does happen but I have been fishing the hard water here in Sullivan county since the early 1960s  and there have been very few years when good ice got here before Santa. YMMV and we all have our own definition of safe ice but if I had kept records I would bet there were more years that we never did get good safe ice all winter long than years we had it before the new year.

Gam

First week in January most years ..anything before that is a plus ...sometimes in March you can fish past St Pats day ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
I doubt there was ever a year we didn’t have safe ice no matter what your standards.
But I wouldn’t be surprised if we had our first in the very near future.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys,
      Just checking in. Welcome TLF. Hope you all are well. Wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday and ice fishing season.Merry Christmas.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well if Accuweather monthly outlook for January for lower Sullivan County is spot on.. should be out during the first 7 days …

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/rock-hill-ny/12775/january-weather/4802_pc?monyr=1/1/2019
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well if Accuweather monthly outlook for January for lower Sullivan County is spot on.. should be out during the first 7 days …

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/rock-hill-ny/12775/january-weather/4802_pc?monyr=1/1/2019

That does look promising but with over 50 degree temps the last three days and warm rains I bet it sure put us back a ways. I am at 33 right now but it was 51 when I got up at 4 AM this morning.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Greetings Merry Christmas to all of my fellow Southern NY. ice fishermen/women may you all have a safe and good ice fishing season. I have been searching for information on the various ice fishing contests held in Sullivan County. Only information found so far is for Hurleyville Fire Dept-Town of Fallsburg Youth Comission contest. The date is Sat. Feb.9,2013  at Morningside Lake in Hurleyville   7Am-3PM . For more info. on this contest please visit website in the hyperlink below.

www.hurleyvilleny.com scroll down home page and you will see contest information. I have sent moderator adkRoy a message with contest info. so he can post it in the Ice fishing derbies and contests thread found stickied at top of NY.forum/board main page. This thread hopefully will be update in coming week.

Mr.Clean/Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
any reports on ice on morningside or superior?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yesterday was the first night temps were under freezing after the warm temps and rain. I'd give it a couple days before the ice is safe again.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
any reports on ice on morningside or superior?

Yesterday was the first night temps were under freezing after the warm temps and rain. I'd give it a couple days before the ice is safe again.

All the lakes that had ice lost it on the shore/edges over the warm up ...Friday into Saturday looks to be a warm one after that looking better ..had about and inch or so of snow over night ..but temps now are mid 30s ..the beginning of the new year looking good..be patient ...and fish hard after new years eve on those ponds and lakes that freeze first .

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/rock-hill-ny/12775/december-weather/4802_pc

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I saw a group of guys out on the ice yesterday. Not for me! 

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone know of any ice close to Ulster county? All I’ve been able to find is Thompson’s lake in Albany county... 1 hour 40 min drive. Or long pong in Chenango County 2 hours 20 min...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Anyone know of any ice close to Ulster county? All I’ve been able to find is Thompson’s lake in Albany county... 1 hour 40 min drive. Or long pong in Chenango County 2 hours 20 min...

North-South lake in green county

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/84938.html

other options

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24487.html

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24316.html

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31156.html

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks diehard... do you know the ice conditions on north-south lake?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks diehard... do you know the ice conditions on north-south lake?

no ...but if I am not mistaken their is a member from Greene county that post regularly about the conditions of lakes up that way I would look in the conditions thread ...RIVERRAT2 may want to PM him

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=28797.msg3890131#msg3890131

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heard some guys have been on smaller water in Sullivan on Sunday. I'm gonna head up to Sullivan on thursday to take a look.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Not mine, but I had to share:

‘Twas the night before Ice Fishing, and all across the lake,
Not a fish was stirring, not even a splake.
My buckets were filled with ice rods and plastic,
In hopes that the perch really do, believe it's fantastic.
The tip-ups were strung with nylon and steel leaders,
To deal with the bite of the big toothy feeders.
The flasher was charged and cleaned up reel nice,
My drill was ready to shred through some ice.

Then out on the lake arose such a clatter,
I sprang into my ice suit to assess the matter.
In the dark to the pickup, I flew like a flash,
I drove to the store to fill the truck with some gas.
The way the full moon shined on the new-frozen water,
I knew the bite couldn't get much hotter.
Alone toward the lake I started to steer,
The hum of my flasher was all I could hear.
Ice trolling with the fish finder on new frozen ground,
I was searching for fish like a veteran Fish Hound.
More rapid than lightning to my baits they came,
I hooted and hollered and called them by name.
Now, WALLEYE, now NORTHERN, now BLUEGILL and CRAPPIE!
Any will do - catching red lines makes me happy.
The excitement, the passion, the fins and the tails,
Is impossible to measure with rulers and scales.
The colors of fishes of varying size,
Its the wonder of nature that light up my eyes.

And then, in an instant, I set the hook real hard,
I looked down and saw her, she was over a yard!
All gold and silver and tipped with white,
She promised to battle, I was ready for the fight.
Rolling and twisting, my pole started to sag,
And from my reel, she pulled at the drag.
I cranked and I pulled as her head neared the hole,
I grabbed her gently, not dropping my pole.
I unhooked the lure with a twist of my pliers,
And gazed at a walleye, that anyone would admire.
Better suited she was for a story than a plate,
I watched her swim away, it made me feel great.
To let free this Eye, to catch one day again,
Is a thing that is done by a true Sportsman.
The pictures I took preserved her for all to see,
For I knew that no-one would really believe me.
As I drove away, the lake leaving my sight,
I said Merry Christmas to all and to all a good bite!!!

Wishing everybody a very Merry Christmas!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good luck to those who found a little ice today. Probably will be gone tomorrow!

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys updated my profile, also looking for that conditions and reports forum, cant seem to find it. Weather for January looks great, hopefully it stays as the forecast shows!!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey guys updated my profile, also looking for that conditions and reports forum, cant seem to find it. Weather for January looks great, hopefully it stays as the forecast shows!!!

Need 3 posts to view after that ...go to forum > New York ...should see conditions board >Sullivan co small waters

some helpful reads

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=43.0

Offline fisher277d

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Haunted by waters
Hello everyone, I've been fishing the Croton river for some years now and was curious if I could fish the east branch reservoir from rt22 with just my dep permit or do I need an additional permit for ice fishing there? Thanks for any replies
Dirty Drifters

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
You need a DEP Access Permit and a NYS Fishing License. That's all.

Offline fisher277d

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Haunted by waters
Thanks tipup28, now does that close at dark or is it open for night fishing, couldn't find anything about when it closes in my book
Dirty Drifters

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You need a DEP Access Permit and a NYS Fishing License. That's all.

I am sure you are correct but you missed the most important necessity, ICE! I am completely bummed and it is supposed to hit 50 today with more warm and ice killing rains.
At this rate we may not have safe ice until February if at all.
Contrary to member Jiggynut's claim "There has never been a year here with no ice". There sure has been a few years here in Sullivan county when the big contests were cancelled due to unsafe ice conditions. At this point in winter we will need a solid week of sub zero temps to make for safe ice. YMMV but I call safe ice at 6 inches when fishing big waters with friends and machines. Shallow and protected ponds are a whole different story but the big lakes with river flows and springs can remain real dangerous if we don't get the super cold we normally have by now.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline fisher277d

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Haunted by waters
I hear you gamalot, same thing up this way might be mid to late January before we can hit any big waters 👎
Dirty Drifters

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
NYC Reservoirs can be fished at any time of the day/night. Be careful down there, not even the smaller ponds here in Ulster County have safe ice, so it will be a while for the Putnam Reservoirs...

Offline lepricated

• IceShanty Rookie
looks like open water fishing continues. damn rain and 50 degree weather. its ok. the walleye have been hitting good

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was able to get out yesterday on 4.5 inches in Sullivan. Shorelines were a little sketchy. White Lake still had a lot of open water.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
NYC Reservoirs can be fished at any time of the day/night. Be careful down there, not even the smaller ponds here in Ulster County have safe ice, so it will be a while for the Putnam Reservoirs...
Remember as well some reservoirs are restricted from ice fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.