Author Topic: My Old Auger Needs Help  (Read 3658 times)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
My Old Auger Needs Help
« on: Jan 25, 2004, 12:47 AM »
Hello fellow ice-nuts,

Most of you Alaska fellows have most likely heard my problem, but I am posting this with hopes that someone may be able to help me find a blade and/or extension for my old auger.  It is a 1968 "Easy Boy" that was manufactured by Heus Manufacturing Co. in Marytown (New Holstein), Wisconsin.  I tried posting a copy of the original brochure, but could not get it to work.  It has a 3hp Tecumseh, 4-stroke (yes... a 4-stroke) engine.  It cuts an 8 1/2 inch hole and it runs like a gem.  However, the blade is old and tired and the ice is getting too thick.  Couple more inches and then I'll be spudding out the bottom of the holes.  The blade (it only has one) is serrated.  All the points on the blade are aligned in a straight line.  About 7 points in all.  The outside point is more like a chisel about a quarter inch wide.

Thanks,

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My Old Auger Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:46 PM »
I think Strikemaster makes several kinds of chisel blades that might work.  They are specifically for single blade units.  Also, they make extensions that might work.  If not, maybe I can help you out with fabricating one.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2004, 12:06 AM »
Mike,  How about salvaging an old unit, and welding it on your bottom section?  Do you have the means to post a photo of the lower unit?  That may help us help you?  My best suggestion would be to adapt a newer drill assembly to your power head.  Jim
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:09 PM »
Hey Common Man... does this mean you work in a machine shop?  My next step was to take the drill section of the auger to Superior Machine in Anchorage.  They have a CNC machine and should be able to make blades and an extension.  I went out the other day and if the ice was another inch thick I would not have punched through.  I would be willing to modify a new bit to replace the old one, but I would rather not have to cut, weld, or drill any of the original parts.  Let me know if you can help.

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2004, 11:19 PM »
Hello Icy Mike,

No, I don't work in a machine shop.  However, I do some hobby welding.  I was thinking of making a fitting that would adapt to the current configuration of your auger and your power head.  I assume your auger bolts on with an allen head cap screw??  I was thinking of doing something similar so that my 8" auger could fit on my power head (currently has a 10" auger).

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Common man,

actually, the shaft on the power head is solid (no holes).  It has a flat spot the fits into a similar female end on the auger bit and held in place with a set screw.  It's official now.  The ice is too thick for my auger.  Had to punch out the last couple inches with a spud yesterday.  All that work for one little trout.  Oh well... the kids had fun.

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2004, 09:00 PM »
Sorry I couldn't help you out. Spudding isn't much fun.  I had a pretty good day on Figure Eight yesterday.  We caught 12 slimers, none really very big, but steady action all day.  I took a nap in the sun...tended the tip-ups...it was great.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2004, 09:46 AM »
My ex.brother in law had an old auger. He got a new bit, modified it, put it on and found out it turned the wrong way. Maybe thats why he is an ex.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2004, 07:36 AM »
IcyMike,
Which direction does the shaft turn? Depending on direction, you can get a Jiffy (CCW) or a Strikemaster (CW) chipper auger unit for it. You may have to have part of the old shaft welded onto the new shaft so the attachment is correct. When doing this you could also make the bit a little longer so you don't need to worry about an extention.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2004, 08:42 AM »
I got a 1953 Eska Moe made in dubuque, ia.  Awesome teeth and big point in center.  Any decent sharpening guy can sharpen.  Need name email me [email protected] 
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

basskid5520

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2005, 03:07 PM »
I have nerver had this problem all though I had friends have this problem from Ny and what happened was it was by a sand pile and he sand got under the ice and when he drilled his hole his auger blades went to HELL!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.