Author Topic: hard water on my mind  (Read 1567 times)

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
hard water on my mind
« on: Sep 24, 2016, 03:57 AM »
I know its early but the ICE is calling to me......

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hard water on my mind
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Me to. I am in the UP in Michigan If I am lucky I will find some ice around the end of November. Last year it was mid January I found about 2 inches of ice and managed a limit of nice rainbow trout about 7 pounds each.

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2016, 10:46 AM »
Me to. I am in the UP in Michigan If I am lucky I will find some ice around the end of November. Last year it was mid January I found about 2 inches of ice and managed a limit of nice rainbow trout about 7 pounds each.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2016, 01:57 PM »
It's been getting down into the teens up at the lake the past week so it's only a matter of time.  There was about a half inch of ice on the marsh when I was duck hunting last fri.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2016, 04:43 AM »
With the night time temps around the valley its just a matter of time before they start to lock up!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2016, 09:07 AM »
just had first frost around here, temps in 60's.
under extreme drought, lakes/ponds very low. if we get a long period of ice, oxygen depletion will probably result in  fish kill. >:(

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline johnnycake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:36 PM »
I've been itching since I moved up here last Spring!  I cannot wait to take my 3yo daugher, aka my Cupcake, out on the ice again!  She loved last winter on the Utah hard deck and has asked 2-3x per day ever since when I am going to take her ice fishing again.  Any lakes in Anchorage/close to Anchorage that are kid friendly were we might be able to catch a small trout or two? 

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Jewel lake and beer can are probably the two most popular and sand lake has some real nice fish in it to.  Mirror lake in Chugiak is loaded with little stockers that would probably be my first choice.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline johnnycake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  My daughter is so excited that it is "winter time" and she is dying to go ice fishing!  Might have to go hunt down some hard deck this weekend

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Oh no!! never too early.

Offline BrookTroutKid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2016, 12:58 PM »
I've been itching since I moved up here last Spring!  I cannot wait to take my 3yo daugher, aka my Cupcake, out on the ice again!  She loved last winter on the Utah hard deck and has asked 2-3x per day ever since when I am going to take her ice fishing again.  Any lakes in Anchorage/close to Anchorage that are kid friendly were we might be able to catch a small trout or two? 

I grew up in Utah and that's where I got hooked on ice fishing!  As for fishing near anchorage, Little Cambell lake is pretty fun for small stocked rainbows and occasionally large brood stock char, pautzkes balls o fire on a small Swedish pimple works great there.   If you wanted to drive  over to wasilla I could shoot you a pm with some awesome lakes in that area. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.