Author Topic: One unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure clarification  (Read 1816 times)

Offline VinceAK

• IceShanty Rookie
I was recently told that plastics impregnated with salt are not allowed in waters restricted to the above regulation. Is that accurate? Also, is scent not allowed? I've been having a hard time finding soft lures like senkos without salt and/or without scent.

If it isn't allowed, would any of you mind pointing me in the right direction for soft lures that are within this regulation? I want to fish Big Lake.

Thanks,
Vince

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: One unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure clarification
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:56 PM »
In big lake a lure can't have any bait or artificial scent of any kind.  The troopers will smell your jig to make sure that there is no scent on it.  Sportsmans sells tube jigs that aren't scented and they seem to work pretty good.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline VinceAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Thanks for the info AKhardwater. Are the lures with salt allowed on Big Lake?

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:51 PM »
I'm not sure on salt but to play it safe I would say no.  I would be worried the troopers would view salt as an attractant of some sort.  I would stick with the Fresh Water basics tube jigs from sportsmans.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:40 PM »
I'm not sure on salt but to play it safe I would say no.  I would be worried the troopers would view salt as an attractant of some sort.  I would stick with the Fresh Water basics tube jigs from sportsmans.

Correct, salt is added for the purpose of attracting fish. It's a form of bait and prohibited in unbaited waters.
Why do I always leave shrimp in my pocket from last week?

Offline VinceAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate it. I thought the salt was used to give the lure a certain amount of buoyancy so that 'll sink at a specific rate. I'll make sure not to use salt or scent at Big Lake.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:02 PM »
maybe soak the scented ones in something like sports wash or baking soda that destroys scent. . then soak and rinse them in warm water. should remove any scent on them. after all the scent has to be water soluble if its going to attract fish right?

Offline Buckhunterbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:39 PM »
But I've always wondered can u still use two lines ......with ONE single hook, unbaited artificial?

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Yes you can continue to use two lines with a single, unbaited, artificial hook on each line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.