Author Topic: True story you gotta hear...  (Read 1710 times)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
True story you gotta hear...
« on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:53 AM »
I did a bit of scouting yesterday and found a lake a few miles east of Palmer and north of Butte.  The road (not maintained) was a bit scary in spots but there was a lake at the end of it.  I did not have any fishing gear with me and I noticed the some one had recently been fishing (within the last 2 weeks).  I walked out and found a jar of salmon eggs so I got the erge to fish.  I took a cotter pin from my tool box in the truck and filed it down to a make shift hook.  For line I used some black nylon fibers (use to weave those blue tarps that are everywhere).  I took out my one-pound ax from the truck and punched a hole through the ice (that took some time and work).  In the end I landed about 6 dollies and 1 salmon.  The salmon and two dollies were cooked on the lake over an open fire (I couldn't resist- mmmmmm...).

I took my girls out with me today and we hammered the dollies.  Started by using salmon eggs but kept pulling in fish around 6 inches long.  We switched to chunks of herring on larger hooks.  In the end we kept 7 fish ranging from 10 to 18 inches (three were caught on a tip up).  The best part was that all of the fish were caught in less than 2 FOW.  The water was gin clear so we fished mostly by sight.  The kids loved it.  We'll be heading out there again.  No fishing pressure at all.  Lake was about 1 square mile.  Name...?  Still trying to learn how to get the pics up, sorry.

Icy Mike

Offline burghangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • schooley slinger
Re: True story you gotta hear...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005, 12:17 PM »
man, thats hardcore.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2005, 01:30 PM »
Great story mang. Next time you head up there, take some pics of the road, I'd love to see it.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2005, 04:58 PM »
Very inventive Icy Mike. You must be of the older generation (40 and up). You don't see many people going to such lengths. Used too but rare these days. Love to see some pics.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.