Author Topic: Flathorn Lake Report  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Corey16

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Flathorn Lake Report
« on: Dec 12, 2004, 10:25 PM »
         My dad and I did a day trip to Flathorn today and had a great time on the ice. There was about 10in. of solid ice. We iced 9 pike and lost a half a dozen more, the bigest 2 were 30 in. All were caught on tip-ups with herring. Great weather even though we had an hour of almost whiteout. Awsome first trip. :)

Also I was wondering what kind jigs to use for pike.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
Re: Flathorn Lake Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2004, 11:44 PM »
Hey Corey,
Is Flathorn out on McKenzie Pt.? Fished a lake called Figure 8 a few years back, long rough ride in and only caught a few hammer handles. Have to be in the Palmer/Wasilla area in January for a wedding, if the temps look good before I leave Fairbanks I'll bring the sno-go and ice fishing gear. I've only used whole herring with a circle hook for pike, don't know about jigs.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:40 PM »
I like to jig Krocadiles.  They were fairly productive for pike back in Wis.  My guess would be that Storm soft bodied plastics would work well too.  If it matters, I was using a Fjord Spoon (3/8 oz) last Friday and it did well for rainbows and a nice dolly.

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Corey:
Were you with us and Viktor's traveling ice show last year on Figure 8?  I was jigging with a green beatle spin and that Northern hit it and broke my pole.

Offline Corey16

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
common man
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:16 PM »
   Yeah that was us.  My Dad and I tagged along.  Thas was awsome when that fish almost ripped the rod out of your hand.  Too bad the rod broke.

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2004, 03:56 PM »
I figured that was you.  That happened again a few weeks ago on Flathorn.  Only this time the fish cut my line because, like an idiot, I wasn't using a leader.  The shack is almost done...just need to fine tune a few things.  We plan on getting it out there after the first of the year.  Do you and your dad want to get involved with that circus?

Offline Corey16

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Yeah, I would love to help out any way I can.  Hopefully we can free up some time and join the fun.  Lets keep in touch.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2004, 09:59 PM »
Hey Corey and Commonman-

where are you guys?  I heading out to Big Lake again on Saturday afternoon and am going to fish until midnite or so.  I think I'll be out behind South Port Marina or The Kondike Inn.  Stop by if your in the neighborhood.  Small white truck/Green Eskimo shanty.

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2004, 11:58 PM »
Thanks for the invite, Icy Mike.  We are heading back to Wisconsin for Christmas, so my icefishing here won't get into full swing until after the new year.  I will definitely look for you on big lake in January. 

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2004, 01:19 PM »
sounds good.  Where in Wisconsin are you heading to?  I grew up in Point, went to school in Eau Claire, and lived in Waupun for three years.  BTW, bring back some walleye and perch fillets!!!  Merry Christmas guys.

Icy Mike

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2004, 12:42 PM »
My family is in Chippewa Falls and hers is in Menomonie...so we'll be running back and forth.  I am going to try to get on Tainter Lake and the Chippewa River for some Walleyes for sure.  Happy Holidays!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2004, 01:48 PM »
I know that vacations with family are the best and worst of times... all at the same time.  But if you get a chance you should try to fish the Coon Fork Flowage.  It's been a long time but I believe it is near Fall Creek off Hwy 12.  I fished it often for crappie, gills, and perch.  Also caught a couple of dandy muskies as well.  There are also bass.  As best I could figure there were no walleyes or pike.  But the lake was surround by county land with no houses.  It was quiet and barely fished.  The crappie weren't very big but plentiful.  Some day I'll get back there and fish it again.

yetinate88

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2005, 10:19 PM »
I fished Flat Horn 2 times mid Feb. and railed em' with a 5" Green Wildeye shad, and paul nailed a 28" hen with 2" white jig with a green head. Kept 5 over 20 " threw them on the smoker and they turned into jerkey you could read the newspaper through but tasted pretty good. Made good fish cakes too, brought the fillet board with the second trip and left the heads for the eagle.  Bon Appetit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.