Author Topic: any one willing to share ice shanty plans  (Read 6620 times)

trout slayer

any one willing to share ice shanty plans
« on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:42 PM »
[img]looking for building plans for a real nice ice hut .walls and roof not plywood ends and tarp roof.solid construction walls with attachable roof. is this possible?send reply to site or [email protected] any input appreciated.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: any one willing to share ice shanty plans
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Got mine on sale at Freddy's ;D!

Icy Mike

trout slayer

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2004, 03:44 PM »
[img]looking for building plans for a real nice ice hut .walls and roof not plywood ends and tarp roof.solid construction walls with attachable roof. is this possible?send reply to site or [email protected] any input appreciated.
very funny icy mike just looking for good ideas to secure the walls together,like what would be the best eyelet and pegs or hooks.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2004, 05:27 PM »
I would use lag bolts to secure the walls to the floor and the roof to the walls.  You may want to lag the walls at the corners as well.  Screws and/or nails should work for the rest of the fastening.  Except if your going to be using 2 X 6's for skids.  I would double those up together with lags and glue (to keep out as much water/ice as possible).  Hope this helps.  I have the same problems with high winds here as well.  On those days I usually do not fish (winds reaching 75 MPH plus).  I use a portable shanty instead.

Icy Mike

trout slayer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2004, 06:53 PM »
I would use lag bolts to secure the walls to the floor and the roof to the walls.  You may want to lag the walls at the corners as well.  Screws and/or nails should work for the rest of the fastening.  Except if your going to be using 2 X 6's for skids.  I would double those up together with lags and glue (to keep out as much water/ice as possible).  Hope this helps.  I have the same problems with high winds here as well.  On those days I usually do not fish (winds reaching 75 MPH plus).  I use a portable shanty instead.

Icy Mike
icy mike thanks very much for the input .lag bolts with pre-drilled holes with the nuts wrenched in place sounds great!just bought 2 sheets of plywood yesterday 1/2" for this years new ice hut.the last 3 years was using a very small hut i would have to enter feet first! always have a portable on hand but like that big hut construction for instance like they build on elliot lake,fine cabins on ice.the whole sahbang!Tight Lines icy mike catch you on the next tide. trout slayer{another story}!! later hope to here from you in the future i just love fishing lies !!!

fish_slayer

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:39 PM »
there is a special thread for shanty plans, it might be under equipment or something, but there are alot of nice shanty plans.

trout slayer

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:27 PM »
there is a special thread for shanty plans, it might be under equipment or something, but there are alot of nice shanty plans.
fish_slayer yo!have ideas and plans but looking for that really unique designed hut something out of the ordinary i guess the marcedes of ice huts.just looking for feedback, thanks for the reply.Tight Lines.

Offline summitx

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!

fish_slayer

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2004, 10:25 PM »
ok, heres and idea, the king iceshanty, my buddie has this shack, it is on a huge trailer, that has hydraulics to lower it, then raise it up for travel, so you can drag it where u want it, and plop it down.  It is heated by a large wood stove, and it has a compartment on the outside, that lock, that you can store wood in, and u can open up a secret hatch from the inside to get some out of it too.  It has two stories, and it has a couch, three beds up stairs, and two buckbeds down stairs, with a look out loft on the top with all windows, it has grey siding, and the inside is log cabin design.  Insulated of course, the kitchen is nice, with a small bar and a refriderator, and a stove, and a generator mounted in a box outside.  it has a large tv with dvd player and a playstation 2 with numerous ice holes in the floor, with underwater viewing systems for a few holes.  The carpet is nice brown color so it doesn't show dirt, it is nice, you get the picture.  if you want to buy it it is about $13,000 and I am pretty sure he wants to sell it, but its too far away from alaska, so it depends how bad you want it.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2004, 12:08 AM »
hey slayer , where is this ice house located? im looking to buy something like that instead of building it myself
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

fish_slayer

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2004, 12:45 AM »
Its by Eau Claire, Altoona is the specific town, I'll find out if the guy wants to sell it.
Fish_slayer

fish_slayer

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2004, 12:29 AM »
I think he might

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2004, 08:30 AM »
We used to build "smelt camps" to fish for saltwater smelts when I was a kid.  My dad always made our shanty out of bed sheets with a good solid frame and a tin roof.  He mounted it on a plywood floor, and had a sled made from Goodwill skis that we towed it out onto the ice with.  He would stretch the sheets tightly and tack them to the frame then paint them with a good outdoor paint, usually 3 or 4 coats  A small 2 man camp was heated by nothing more than a dual mantel lantern.  A 4 man camp was heated with a small kerosene stove.  Bear in mind, to fish for smelts a racehole is cut in the ice that runs the whole length of the camp, generally no more that 6 feet long so you get A LOT of cold air on the floor. But to watch tip ups from this would be overly cozy!  Once he even installed windows that we salvaged from the dump.  I cant think of a cheaper way to build your dream camp!  Don't think painted bedsheets can keep out the wind and the cold?  Ever hear of Tyveck Insulation???  Well try to rip that stuff, and then try to rip a painted bedsheet!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2004, 01:11 PM »
you sure that was paint on those bedsheets? :o

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2004, 02:49 PM »
Well why do you ask Mike?  Do YOU have something different on your sheets??? :o

fish_slayer

« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2004, 02:28 AM »
sounds strange, but I think mike was asking about if it was some kind of thick coating of something else, because most if not all paint that I know of would chip off very fast on something like that

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2004, 01:14 PM »
Hey FishSlayer:

North2AlaskaDoug and I were in the service together years ago and I was just giving him a hard time.  I think I asked before, but where are you.  If your in AK we should try to hook up and go fishing.  Maybe try to get some of the other locals out for a day.

Icy Mike

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2004, 10:53 PM »
FishSlayer
I pretty much knew where Mike was headed, he figured it must have been flamming marshmellow that we used.  But my dad just always used regular old outdoor house paint.  Of course it is HIGHLY possible it was the old led based paint.  I don't know what kind of difference that would make.  But we never had a problem EXCEPT one time we had a freezing rain storm and my dad accidentally poked a hole in the wall when trying to loosen up the ice build up.  But he righted it pretty nicely with a piece of good ole duct tape!

fish_slayer

« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2005, 12:06 AM »
I am down here in chippewa falls WI, I wish I was up there though, that is my plan, maybe next year I'll be able to
fish_slayer

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:55 AM »
This may be late, but I have some plans that would be nice if you are constructing this summer?  If your interested, Email me...
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Check this one out. http://www.snobearind.com for one of the nicest ones I have seen.
It is also located on a thread in General Chitchat, Ultimate ice fishing vehicle.
Now you just need an exterior mounted, remote controlled auger and you can fish in your skivies.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.