New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: water rescue on Irondequoit Bay today  (Read 2403 times)

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
water rescue on Irondequoit Bay today
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:08 PM »
Saw on the TV news that a man about 80 yrs. old was rescued from Irondequoit Bay North of the Bay Bridge closer to the Eastside  He was rescued by fire fighters  with wet suits and a boat  alerted to the  man in the water by a passing motorist on the Bay Bridge. Stay safe out there!

Offline FishinDude0901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Wisdom
Re: water rescue on Irondequoit Bay today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2019, 05:45 AM »
By newport yacht club. Don't be aimlessly meandering! Stay frosty
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Here's the article......
https://13wham.com/news/local/man-falls-through-ice-at-irondequoit-bay

This is the time of year things get dicey. A few warm days, especially with rain, can absolutely wreak havoc to the ice conditions. 

Stay safe everyone
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:50 PM »
I think they should just outlaw icefishing because of those asinine bubblers that were installed on both sides of bridge!The ice is always kinda dicey anyway,unless we have winters like before the 80's without all these thaws.

FN

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:10 AM »
looks like the rescue took place right out by that wide open water? I wonder why the guy fell in? that's really strange.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:26 AM »
I think they should just outlaw icefishing because of those asinine bubblers that were installed on both sides of bridge!The ice is always kinda dicey anyway,unless we have winters like before the 80's without all these thaws.

FN

yes that's what we need   more laws!   make ice fishing illegal to protect us!  i'm voteing for  cortez  and  Bernie next time! .......bye the way the man that was  rescued wasn't ice  fishing he was   just out for a walk ..... NO MORE WALKING  .......

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:29 AM »
Yup take away our shoes 🙄🙄😂
I live back in the woods you see

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:44 AM »
we need a law  you can never wonder further  from your home then one city block !!!! and  you most wear a helmet  and  no  bon fires!.......

seriously from my understanding this man wasn't a  fisherman  just a  man going for a walk ........    remember  SPUD SPUD SPUD  ice picks  and   floatation doesn't hurt

use  your head

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:44 AM »

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:48 AM »

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:31 AM »

FN

The only bubblers operating in Irondequoit Bay in the winter are maintained by individual property owners to keep their docks ice free.  The oxygenation system is turned off every year in September when it gets cool enough at night to dissolve adequate oxygen from the atmosphere.  There has not been good ice in the north central bay except in very cold conditions since the bay was opened up to the Lake, and the use of dock bubblers became so prevalent.  The bridge also impacts ice formation because of salt runoff from all the traffic carrying all the salt, and the salt that is used to keep the bridge from icing.

Offline eyetalian stallion

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stand back! I am a professional
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2019, 01:08 PM »
yes that's what we need   more laws!   make ice fishing illegal to protect us!  i'm voteing for  cortez  and  Bernie next time! .......bye the way the man that was  rescued wasn't ice  fishing he was   just out for a walk ..... NO MORE WALKING  .......
i'm sure albany adolf ,will come up some urgent law for our protection...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.