Author Topic: Weekend Fishing (pics)  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Weekend Fishing (pics)
« on: Feb 08, 2004, 03:19 PM »
Well finally got out on Wednesday and Saturday for some pike fishing.  Took a couple "newbies" out on Wednesday, a southern boy from Florida and my 6 year old.  Florida boy did well!  He had caught about 10 fish from 4-9 lbs.  My boy did pretty good for his first time going "solo."  He managed three small fish of various sizes.  Managed to talk both of them into throughing all but a couple back for dinner.  Barleydog coached the two rookies through the intense battles, Great day! :'(
Saturday, managed to hook about 7 fish, (cold and slow out there.)  The last fish was my biggest Alaskan Pike caught through the ice.  A 19.7 lb. fish at 38" long hit a tip-up baited with a small piece of shrimp on 6 lb. test and a small #7 hook set for rainbows!  Great fight, with a dozen runs or so.  Had some trouble getting it through the 8" hole, because it wouldn't fit?  Finally grabbed the gill plate and pulled it through.  Found the fish had an unusual "hunchback" that kept it from sliding up the hole easily.  Ended up keeping it due to excess bleeding. :(  Great finish to a beautiful day.  Posted it on the Shanty trophy page even if it dosen't stand much of a chance. ;)  Hope everyone else did well this week? -Barleydog

The boy and his first tip-up fish, (without Barley's help)

First pike caught on ice by southern boy.

"Coach" Barley J. Dog and his pupil.  "WELL DONE HUMAN!"

TEAM ALASKA

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
Re: Weekend Fishing (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2004, 10:11 PM »
Barleydog,
Nice looking fish, were you fishing the usual location? Great job on getting the big one in. I obviously need catch up with you for a northern trip. The wife and I are headed out of town for a couple of weeks on vacation. I'll get in touch when I return. Stay warm.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2004, 05:53 PM »
Kevin,  Yeah it was a new spot.  Hog finds a peanut once in a while eh.   When you get back from "where ever your heading to get a tan."  We'll talk fishing!  Jim
TEAM ALASKA

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Great pics barleydog.  Beautiful Lab too......Off the subject a bit, but just wondering if the cabelas dog vest works well on your lab?  Kicking around getting one for my lab for next duck season. 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Dirk,  It works great!  This vest is about 4 years old and holding up well.  He uses it quite a bit in the winter and during the hunting season.  Only thing you have to do is cut a slot out for his whanker.  That is if you have a boydog!  Put your hand between his coat and the jacket, and you'll notice a HUGE difference.  Rather comfy, to bad they don't make one for humans. ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.