Author Topic: northern and laker hotspots  (Read 3689 times)

lookin4gators

northern and laker hotspots
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:41 PM »
Hi all, well if it ever stops snowin im hoping to get out on some ice - my last trip out I headed down to Hidden Lake near Coopers landing and was unable to reach the lake due to snow Skilak loop hadnt been plowed.  I then tried Mckenzie Lake heard there were pike to be caught but was S.O.L. again - all private access.  Can anyone give me any tips on a good Northern or Laker Lake within 2+ hrs of Anchor town, I hope to head to fairbanks for some big ones this spring but dont have any contacts or info? I dont have a snowmachine but some snoshoes and ambition  - im thinking about Redshirt but havent heard anything of it in several years - and it might be a trek with all this snow.. well thanks enjoy the ice   :'( :'(   oh and if anyone knows of a good spot to pick up a new or used vexilar or flasher please send a line :D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:northern and laker hotspots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2003, 02:20 PM »
Welcome Lookin4gators!  If your looking for information on SKilak, I think FishermenJake is down in that area right now and could probably give you a report.?.?  I pretty much fish Lakers locally at Harding lake or cruise down to Paxson or Summit lake.  Paxson has the numbers and some good numbers.  You can pull off the side of the road and fish them via rest areas.  As for Pike, have you tried Fire lake down in your area?  Don't know about any flashers for sale but can keep an eye out for ya. -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2003, 08:29 PM »
hey looking4gators I'm planning to go to hidden lake tomorrow morning.  How much snow is on skilak loop?
there are a few other lakes that are good for lake trout on the peninsula as well.  Skilak, Kenai, and tustamena lake all have good lake trout fishing.  I've only fished skilak due to warm winter the past 3 years.  But if ice conditions kick into gear, Kenai lake is probably your best bet on the peninsula.  As for pike, check out the stocked lakes that have been infested.  they all have public access if they are stocked by ADF&G.  Just check their website.  Anyway, I hope i can get into skilak loop tomorrow.  

lookin4gators

« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2003, 09:42 PM »
Hey Fishermanjake,
thanks for the fish and game tip and Its nice to know of other lakes to give a shot down there.  I might have to try Kenai on my days off next week.  I tried Hidden on the 7th and was real surprised - shocked and bummed by Skilak loop not being plowed. It must have snowed a good 12 inches down there the days before and not a vevicle had ventured forth on the north side the south side had been driven but it was still deep and I didnt take the gamble with my Trooper since I doubted it the tracks would go to the lake.  
Good luck getting in and on the ice - and keep us posted!

Barleydog - thanks for the heads up on Fire and some laker lakes Ive had my eye on summit lake and really like that area anyways so will definately be hitting them this winter as time permits.  Im sure ill try coaxing a few tips from you when I do.  thanks again and good fishing.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2003, 03:06 AM »
made it to kenai lake friday, caught 1, 13 inch laker and lost a couple.  want to go back and camp there, i know there are big fish to be had.  There was 7 inches of ice where i was fishing and some overflow.  the cold weather has been nice.  The clarity is terrible due to the break of the ice dam, but it still has potential.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:41 PM »
Jake you gotta show us a BIGGIN! ;D  I scored some hammerhandles this weekend, very depressing indead! :-[
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.