Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 304468 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #150 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:17 PM »
I did my mod, ordered an other grill for my Buddy and altered it for my cooker.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Trooper Bri

« Reply #151 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Looks great Bart!

Those tins are perfect fit.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #152 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:53 AM »
That's a great idea too Bart! How much did the extra grill cost you? Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Looking good Bart! Did you do the Pilot Shield too or are the new ones coming with them now?
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #154 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Smitty, $6.50 for the grill, with shipping $11.50. I though it was reasonable and a lot cleaner finish than the paint roller things?

Gamalot, I made the pilot shield, works great.

Can't wait to try the Buddy "Cooker".
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline blueperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sodus Bay
« Reply #155 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Looks like you talked me right into getting a buddy heater.
thank for the info

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #156 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Do you guys find any time to fish, When we are out we usually dont get that much time to eat, we are busy jigging and the tipups are a pain sometimes when you just want to concentrate on jigging, no time for cooking

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Just set it, and forget it!

Offline JJZFlash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sun rise at the bait shop
« Reply #158 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:01 PM »
way to many years under the belt not to  eat  a warm lunch on a cold day you youngsters can have your cold sandwiches. we just had back straps sliced thin fried up on the ice saturday for lunch. even the guys wife who didnt know it was venison , when he told her she still liked it . dont think she would even have tried a cold one. so ya its easy to make time to enjoy a geart meal on the ice.  JJZFlash     ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Smitty, $6.50 for the grill, with shipping $11.50. I though it was reasonable and a lot cleaner finish than the paint roller things?

Gamalot, I made the pilot shield, works great.

Can't wait to try the Buddy "Cooker".

I still don't know where "Out There" is but we can fish together! I did that same pilot shield years ago. I think I was there but I can't remember! ;D

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #160 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Necessity is truly the mother of invention !!!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Necessity is truly the mother of invention !!!!!

AMEN Reb! I used to sit in my trap saying "Blow on this"!

With a good pilot shield it will take a stiff wind to shut mine off.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #162 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I have been cooking or for a better term heating up my meals on my Buddy for a few years now. I disagree with anyone who seems to think you could add a grill and fry up burgers and dogs on your buddy. I have never had to clean it since nothing ever drips down on to the ceramic and if it ever did you will probably be replacing the entire heater.

My idea was to make a shelf to place already prepared food on for reheating and nothing more. I can use the little meal size aluminum pans or wrap a sandwich in aluminum foil and have a hot meal in a flash while sitting in the middle of the frozen lake. A buddy heater was never designed as a cooker and should not be altered in any way other then to heat something up that is wrapped or in a pan.

Defeating the tip switch is a very bad idea. My shanty got blown over on Monday while I was catching a fish. The buddy did what it was supposed to do and shut off so I did not burn my ice house down.

I guess if what you want to do is cook hot meals from scratch out on the ice then you ought to just buy a Coleman stove and lug that gear with you. For warming up my stew or an already grilled cheese sandwich the buddy does a pretty fine job and with no adverse safety issues.

There is plenty of heat going straight up from the front that you won't need to tip the heater at all. You could boil water but it might take a bit longer then on a real cooker. I just figure it is a heater and I can heat up my prepared foods while I heat up the shack, 2 for the price of one.

When the shanty flipped my old grill screen got crunched. Stopped at the hardware store and they had a different type. Took me half an hour and cost me $2.29. Just a couple bends and some copper wire soldered to hold it on.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Good post, I agree

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #163 on: Feb 12, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Tried my modified Mr. Heater/Cooker today, worked luck a charm. Nice warm mac & cheese was a great treat. No mess, no fuss. The pilot guard worked great also. It was like a hurricane out there today, couldn't see the snowmobile at one time 15 feet away.

Keep America Godly...

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #164 on: Feb 12, 2011, 04:45 PM »
That's awesome Bart! I've used mine a few times, and each time it gets better. Today I used it to dry my hand towel...lol  That Mac n cheese sure looks good! It sure is nice to have extra uses for the Buddy heater  ;)

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #165 on: Feb 12, 2011, 06:05 PM »
we sit the foil with brkf.  burritos on flip twice and watch the sun rise over the  flags!!   But i like that  Patten time!!
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:06 PM »
does anybody have any pictures cooking with mr.buddy heater.some type of modified grill  for warming coffee etc.

surflizard

« Reply #167 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:09 PM »
On the community page on the bottom in ice shack tips, there are a bunch of heater pictures and posts !

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #168 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:17 PM »
I saw one on here somewhere they modified a grate to hold food or can. Not sure where I saw it at though.
Fish on!

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #170 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Ya modify a paint roller tray...works great. Pics on here somewhere from a year or two ago, use the search function, it works well.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:39 PM »
dang I only eat hotdogs on the ice and Im lucky if I have onions or ketchup.  :'( This year I think I am taking spagettios or soup in a theromos.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:27 PM »
After looking at all these innovative ideas you guys came up with, I decided to give my idea a try.  I used to have a blind heater with a 9" grate that I never used, so I decided to adapt the grate  to my Buddy Heater.  It had 4 legs on it, 2 of which I cut off and used the other 2 as hinge pins.  I mounted a piece of 3/8" copper tube between the handles.  The tubing has 2 end slots to except the 2 hinge pins (legs) and is attached with 2 small sheetmetal screws.  To attach the grate all you need to do is hold the grate vertically, rotate it forward, and snap it over the cross bar on the wire guard on the Buddy.  It makes a very solid attachment, and can be attached and removed in less than 5 seconds. 

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #173 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:40 PM »
 I cant wait to try this mod with my buddy heater but I was wondering about the coffee mugs put on there. they dont break from the heat do they?

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Nov 17, 2011, 11:23 PM »
any ideas on doing this with a little buddy heater??  It doesn't have quite the btu's but it should be able to keep brats warm... right?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:14 AM »
any ideas on doing this with a little buddy heater??  It doesn't have quite the btu's but it should be able to keep brats warm... right?

Most of these cooking mods shown here are on the little Buddy heaters and I rarely ever have mine on the high setting when I re heat a meal in the tin trays.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #176 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:44 AM »
No modifications needed if the Mrs has the right size pan in the cupboard. ;)

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #177 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:38 AM »
Ok,I am going to update my heater,I have a Frabil Predator,and the old heater I have just don't cut it.Which one should I buy? Small or big? I have seen the big ones really cook you out.   Jerry

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Ok,I am going to update my heater,I have a Frabil Predator,and the old heater I have just don't cut it.Which one should I buy? Small or big? I have seen the big ones really cook you out.   Jerry

I have a Clam Guide 2 man pop up and it is very rare that I ever need the high setting on my little Buddy heater.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:44 AM »
haha sorry, by little buddy, i meant the base camp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.