Author Topic: 8” vs 10” auger  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
8” vs 10” auger
« on: Oct 28, 2020, 04:42 AM »
Should I worry about loosing fish with a 8” hole or will fish still fit through  the hole

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 8” vs 10” auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2020, 05:49 AM »
What are you fishing for?
<===Lefty===

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:29 AM »
NO
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Should I worry about loosing fish with a 8” hole or will fish still fit through  the hole

The issue is not so much"fitting through the hole" as getting caught on the hole or having the hole interfere with landing the fish. I spearing hole seldom has problems with hooks getting caught on the edge.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:46 AM »
I pulled a 13 pound pike through an 8" hole and there was tons of room left..he wouldn't have fit through a 6 very easily or at all..8 has been great for me..depends what you're targeting I guess..

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:09 AM »
Anything biggest concern is i get really big pickerel (when at hemlock) or pike or tiger muskie(conesus got giant pike)

Currently got an 8” clam electric auger

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Anything biggest concern is i get really big pickerel (when at hemlock) or pike or tiger muskie(conesus got giant pike)

Currently got an 8” clam electric auger

You will be fine with an 8 inch hole ..save your money from the 10 in auger purchase and buy better reels ...rods ..bait...hub shelter ..ice suit ...etc
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Worried a big prespawn will be too fat to fit

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:46 AM »
We fish for lake trout a lot during the winter, there are always at least 2 and maybe up to 5 of us on snowmobiles, as we primarily fish the remote lakes.  The combined group I fish with pull a lot of trout out the water during any given winter, the largest fish have been up too 42" and have come out of an 8" hole.  I don't think a fish is lost very often because the hole is to small, if so I would be using a 10" auger.  To me the down side to the 10" hole (and the reason I am not using one), is the safety factor, more risk in inadvertently stepping in one of the holes and breaking a leg.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I agree about it being a hazard
I just also dont want to loose the biggest fish if my life
(I have seen guys land big muskies unprepared only to have the net break as they try to lift the net into the boat) so i dont want the ice fishing version of it to happen

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:57 AM »
I had a 46" musky that was so fat it literally filled the 8.25" (Eskimo) hole coming up.  Needed another set of hands to help get her back down but did it with out squeezing eggs out. Lost a way bigger on last year caught jigging a Hyper Glide for walleyes. Couldn't fit even her head in the 7.5" K Drill hole. No way she was coming up. Biggest fish I've ever had that close on the ice. Easily low to mid 50 inches.

That's it though. Two fish in my time fishing that may/may not have fit through a hole. The one was so close but I got it. The other, well, 10" hole would have been a challenge without modifying it.  Two fish. But here's the deal, there is no way to be completely prepared for every possibility. Think about that and apply that to all of the questions you've asked here. Wanna cover all the bases with a minimum investment. Wanna be assured of landing every fish. Next thing you know you'll have spent everything trying to cover those possibilities and just when you think you got it... Ah! Here's something else I need! It can be a vicious circle, trying to insure everything.

You'll be fine with your 8" drill for probably 99% of the fish you will ever hook. I know, it's that 1% we all want but even then there are ways to get those fish topside. I've chipped a guy's 4" hole just a little bigger to help get his slab crappie through. Patience goes along way. Lots of guys lose fish in that class before they even get as far as the hole. If they are well pinned and you've got a guy to carefully drill an overlapping hole that also works.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Here's a 30"x19" walleye heading home. She filled the hole but but not to the extent of forcing it up or back down. An 8" hole has a circumference around 25"not many fish are that round where I am. I do use a 10" hole for pike only to help get their heads up the hole.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:35 AM »
A 10" hole will give you your boot back!! My vote is for a 10" auger simply because you can't get any larger!! ;)2 If you plan on fishing out of a hardside you'll want a 10" for sure. Plus a 10" takes longer to freeze over. You just need to be aware that you're fishing larger hole and watch that you don't knock anything down the hole and that any children are made aware of the dangers!! 98% of the time you don't need  anything bigger than an 8" hole. Ultimately YOU are going to have to decide!! :flex: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:46 AM »
I pulled a 13 pound pike through an 8" hole and there was tons of room left..he wouldn't have fit through a 6 very easily or at all..8 has been great for me..depends what you're targeting I guess..

Same here. 13#er. But it was through a 6" hole so it is doable. I remember the toughest part was getting it started in the hole but after that it slid right through. I also use steel leaders so I can get a little aggressive with it...not too worried about losing it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Same here. 13#er. But it was through a 6" hole so it is doable. I remember the toughest part was getting it started in the hole but after that it slid right through. I also use steel leaders so I can get a little aggressive with it...not too worried about losing it.

yeah mine was fat as hell and 6 pound test no leader..was not fishing for them so got really lucky..good to know it would do a 6" hole..he had tons of room on an 8 but I was alone so I was glad to have the room for mistakes lol

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:12 AM »
Used steel leaders and have had 1 bite from 1 perch trying to eat a pike minnow

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2020, 12:12 PM »
An 8" auger should be plenty. I have a 8" eskimo gas auger i use when i have my machine on the ice, otherwise its a 6" kdrill since its significantly lighter. Anytime im fishing for lakers or setting tip ups (pike or lakers) with my 6" ill drill a second hole right next to it to expand the opening. Ive found that the larger holes are much easier to land the fish so thats why i tend to always double up my hole size.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2020, 12:37 PM »
I have/use multiple augers.
Some of the lakes I fish have fish up to 40+#.
Not that I've caught anything really big but it's a definite possibility.
So I switch augers depending on where/what I'm fishing.
Yes I have lost fish due to a 8" hole.
Turning that big pike up the hole was the problem and she finally hooked a treble tine in the edge of the hole and shook off.
Yes big fish will fit in an 8" hole but, will you get their head turned into it?
Here in Alaska we could sell 12" augers as some people routinely catch big fish.
But an 8" works well 90% of the time.
The 10" also takes longer to freeze up when running setlines for Burbot so that's an added bonus.
Have I ever stepped in a hole? Sure it's bound to happen.
I don't blame the hole size though. I blame my own stupidity for not paying enough attention.
It's rare I fish with young kids these days so that's not a big worry for me either.
If monies an issue stick with the 8".
If you can afford both and have all the other gear you need then why not have the option?

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2020, 02:33 PM »
i pulled a 55" sturgeon through a 8" hole.  you are probably going to be ok.  i believe an 8" hole is a 25" circumference. 

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2020, 02:45 PM »
i pulled a 55" sturgeon through a 8" hole.  you are probably going to be ok.  i believe an 8" hole is a 25" circumference.
If i did that id be in prison

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2020, 02:54 PM »
The main reason for a 10in hole vs an 8in isn't about fitting a fish through the hole. 99.9% of fish will fit through an 8in.

The reason for the 10in hole is more about your hole freezing down in size & being able to site fish easier for pan fish.

If you fish out of a wheel house or permanent shack for a few days and it’s cold the 8in hole turns to a 6in or smaller pretty quick. Re-drilling the hole back to 8in means having a flood mess of water coming up the hole in the shack. Or boiling pots and pots of water to dump down the hole. Starting with a 10in hole helps to delay that problem for a considerable length of time. Hence why a lot of permanent & wheel house shack guys go with a 10in auger.

If your a site fishing tour of guy on a clear water lake. Your neck & body will thank you big time looking down a 10in hole vs an 8in

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2020, 02:59 PM »
My concern is getting the fish
If i was worried about sight I could drill a bunch of holes and connect them

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Some guys are fine with a 6 others need bigger.  It literally depends on what you plan to catch.

Very very few anglers need a hole bigger than 8 and even fewer need bigger than 10

I happen to be one of them though.  I'd love a 12

Overlapping double 10's works pretty good though.

Here's 5 8" holes overlapped

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:04 PM »
So basically even a 60” muskie will fit
(Largest fish in our state)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:22 PM »
Some guys are fine with a 6 others need bigger.  It literally depends on what you plan to catch.

Very very few anglers need a hole bigger than 8 and even fewer need bigger than 10

I happen to be one of them though.  I'd love a 12

Overlapping double 10's works pretty good though.

Here's 5 8" holes overlapped

Wow....I don’t know what be harder pulling that fish through.....or overlapping 5 8in holes...lol

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:26 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is your local regulations.  I know that Pennsylvania is weird about a whole lot of stuff, but check your state regs!  In Pennsylvania the largest hole you're allowed to make is 10".  So If you drill a bunch of holes together you may end up being illegal.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:52 PM »
I do use a 10" hole for pike only to help get their heads up the hole.

That's IMO the whole reason for a bigger hole especially as the ice gets thicker.  Pike and Muskies have big long heads and if you've got a decent one hooked right in the corner of the mouth it can be a bit tricky to get them turned especially if you can't just stick your arm in and give them a hand.  I use a 8" and it's usually fine but I do enjoy fishing leftover 10" holes late ice.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:07 PM »
8" never had a issue.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:43 PM »
I would give anything for a 12 inch auger.  I have seen plenty of fish not fit through a ten inch hole and I have also seen holes freeze over way to fast.  For me and my style of fishing anything under 10 is not an option.  For large fish that are to be released getting them to the hole and unhooked quickly is key to a safe healthy release.  If you have to sit there and coax a fishes head through a hole you are jeopardizing that fishes life.  It is our duty as responsible fisherman to do everything in our power to cause as little trauma to the fish as possible.  There are no guarantees with C&R we role the dice every time we set the hook.  Just because you can squeeze a fish through an 8” hole doesn’t mean you should.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.