Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 1846 times)

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gloves
« on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:38 PM »
I want to get a pair of gloves for fishing, something that'll work both for when I go steelhead fishing in Erie, and for ice fishing. Any suggestions?

Thank You
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:04 AM »
Funny you post this. I was going to ask about a pair of gloves i ordered on Monday. They are from Buffalo Wool and are fingerless. I have always loved my old Cabelas 100% wool fingerless gloves but of course they don't make those like they used to. Now they are just thin and cheap. Soooo, i splurged and ordered a pair of the buffalo wool ones. Not cheap but if they are good they will last me years.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:25 AM »
Love the wool gloves .. ..my hooks not so much ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:28 AM »
I recommend 2 pairs one for keeping warm
And the others that are supposed to protect the fish and help you have a firm grip they are like a couple $ at walmart

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:00 AM »
I recently bought the Striker Attack gloves to have as a lighter alternative to the gauntlet style gloves. Wore them to fish the Mississippi a week and a half ago when temps were in the 30s. Comfortable and kept my hands warm and dry.

I had purchased some wool fingerless gloves, but they were just too small. I wear a XXL and seems most wool gloves I have seen stop at large.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:00 AM »
Wool gloves are the only way to go. Instant warmth for your hands. Have lots of other gloves but I always find that they get cold if you lay them on the ice, not so with wool.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:08 AM »
I have always used the Military Surplus glove wool inserts, see avatar to the left. A few years ago I upgraded to black ones and a pair of fingerless for ice fishing. Green one are reserved for hunting. I keep several pairs stowed all over the place just in case...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:32 AM »
Mittens with wool glove liners are the way to go if you want to stay warm. You can opt for a full glove, or fingerless depending on your needs. Wool insulates even when wet, and the air space in the mittens heats up quickly. You can find shooter’s and other styles of mittens and wool gloves at a lot of surplus stores, and they are reasonably priced. Just another option. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Gloves... I love wool. Wet, dry damp. Love the smell. Love the feel. If they made wool briefs I'd wear 'em. But gloves for fishing? Love to hate 'em. All they are for me is a place to snag anything with a hook(s) and spend the next several minutes wiggling it out.

Don't like real heavy gloves if I'm gonna jig. Most times I just don't wear one on my jigging hand. Still, fingers get cold. I'm uncomfortable. Basically I've got two, actually three solutions

1. Skip the gloves and tuck yer hands in the front of yer bibs. Keeps your hands plenty warm and it's easy to switch if your swapping hands jigging.

2. Not gloves but those giant Ice Armor/Eskimo mitts. The ones that got pockets for a little hand warmer. Nope, you can't do much with 'em on but when you need your hand(s) it's easy to slip 'em off by tucking your hand under your arm and pulling. Super warm and comfortable when it's bitter cold.

3. I too fish open water late into the year. I may be casting for muskies after Thanksgiving if there's open water. Now things change. Still no wool. There's even more hooks for me to get into. One fishes worth of slime and they're a stinky mess for the rest of the day. Plus I need to work a reel handle and a rod. Years ago Ice Armor (again) had some gloves they called "casual" ice fishing wear. Relatively thin but insulated, made with a slick fabric outer and a fake suede-like leather on the palms and fingers. No hook snagging in the fingers or palms, easy to get out anywhere else, thin enough I could work the larger snaps while wearing them and (best of all) they were all black. Fingers would get cold, if the sun was shining all I had to do was turn into the sun and make sure it hit my gloved hands. I could feel the warmth immediately. I but a couple pairs every time I find 'em as I literally wear a pair out every year. Also use 'em for gun hunting in November. Now Clam is or at least was having them made and monkeyed up the design. I always got Mediums. They went on pretty tight but did the job without anything floppin' around to get in the way. The Clam version made the slit at the wrist about a half an inch shorter and I can't get my hand past the wrist no matter what. Once past that they are just like the originals so on the Clams I excise the slit just a but and stitch it at the top to keep it from tearing further. They fastened at the wrist with a Velcro strap

Now you're wondering how you might find those. I've looked and I think they're probably not made any more. Take heart and start looking at shooting gloves (cold weather ones) or there's a pile of similar work gloves out there too kinda leaning toward the mechanics variety. These are very similar to the design:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2020, 05:27 PM »
esox_xtm...got ya covered

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-underwear

In all the right places  :roflmao: Tried the link and they are down "making some quick changes". Someone must have soiled their shorts... :woot:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:33 PM »
Simms wool fingerless, I've been using them
For years and love them.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:17 PM »
Dakota makes the style I prefer, I buy em a Mark's here in Canada.  They list them as 'driving gloves' on their (crappy) website here: https://dakotaglove.com/winterlined_options.htm

The key features for my preference & application are:
- mechanics style (dexterity)
- leather palm (somewhat water-shedding, hook resistant, and fish-friendly- although rare is the fish I handle with gloves on)
- thinsulate-lined
Nice to haves:
- ribbed cuff (velcro cuff is easier to find but more likely to have cold wrists)
- full leather fingers (I have more than once melted some polyester trying to move my fire barrel with the wrong gloves)

I fish in those.  I usually have leather thinsulate-lined work gloves in the truck for loading/unloading, and sometimes snowmachine in gauntlets when it's cold.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:12 PM »
 I'm in SE PA so not quite as cold as some of you guys....although I travel and we have our moments locally LOL.. I've been wearing Sealskinz for years...thin(I can do most fishing tasks except maybe tie on a jig and bait up with a waxie) and warm(sometimes I add a handwarmer packet in my palm) enough for me and they are waterproof(great for baiting up with shiners or taking fish off.  I do wear a pair of wool mittens while dragging the sled out/back and drilling holes during our "set up".

These are the ones I use(Cabala's used to sell then not sure if they still do) there are other styles.....
  https://www.sealskinzusa.com/products/waterproof-all-weather-ultra-grip-knitted-glove

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:37 PM »
I use a pair of nitrile mechanics gloves. It adds enough that I can fish on warm days, and lets my fingers last twice as long baiting the hooks on cold days. When I need to warm up, I use Joka mittens. Easy on/off, waterproof, and warm.

https://www.chssnowmakers.com/joka-gloves/

:tipup:

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2020, 01:09 PM »
I can not stand using gloves for any kind of fishing and Break/condition my handS in to getting cold in late fall centerpinning for steelhead.reels get pretty cold in the hands but anyways to haul my gear out and in i use the ht polar mitts which are joka mittens and says it right on them.i will stick my hands in my bib or coat pockets for a few before i put any gloves on.hooks get in them and i just lose all sensitivity with the line or even handlining a fish on a tip up sucks with gloves.im diabetic so i know about cold hands.i man up.jmo

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2020, 02:47 PM »
I can not stand using gloves for any kind of fishing and Break/condition my handS in to getting cold in late fall centerpinning for steelhead.reels get pretty cold in the hands but anyways to haul my gear out and in i use the ht polar mitts which are joka mittens and says it right on them.i will stick my hands in my bib or coat pockets for a few before i put any gloves on.hooks get in them and i just lose all sensitivity with the line or even handlining a fish on a tip up sucks with gloves.im diabetic so i know about cold hands.i man up.jmo
Diabetic and high bllod pressure here, I used to be able to stick my hands right in the water but no more! I hate any gloves also so I have a couple sets of these rechargable hand warmers in my pockets, work quick and great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DJ5B94G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2020, 04:58 PM »
I experienced near frostbite several years ago, so that’s why I recommend the mittens with wool liners. If I just wear a pair of insulated gloves, it only takes a short time for me to feel the burning cold. JMO
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2020, 05:05 PM »
Mittens. Waterproof for sure. They are off more than on anyway. Much easier to deal with than gloves and always warmer.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2020, 05:34 PM »
I've tried different mitts,  the old army gauntlets with the insert worked reasonably well.  Then I found a real leather sheepskin seat cover, too it to the local cobbler and had them sew it into a tube, or muff.  Put one hand heater in there and it's awesome.  https://imgur.com/wmnWjVN

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2020, 06:15 PM »
X2... Muff, fingerless wool gloves and hand warmers .

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2020, 10:30 AM »
I bought a pair of the Eskimo Mittens last year. They are WARM. I got them in the M/L size. But they are WAY too big for my hands. Too big that I can't fish with them on. They were $50 and now I am thinking I want the next size down which is a X-Small/Small. I don't have large hands but being an adult I thought they would be good. Now I see they have come out with Cold Weather gloves this year. Might go with those instead. but now I am stuck with the Large Mitts because the return window is closed. UGH!

Chopper Mitts
https://geteskimo.com/collections/gloves/products/buffalo-chopper-mitt

Cold Weather Gloves
https://geteskimo.com/collections/gloves/products/buffalo-plaid-cold-weather-glove

jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.