Author Topic: Losing Fish on 3mm Tungsten  (Read 2854 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Losing Fish on 3mm Tungsten
« on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:13 AM »
I just commented on spring bobbers and noted that I try to avoid going down to 3mm jigs because I seem to lose more fish on them due to the tiny hook.  This got me thinking. 

Has anyone found a solution or have any tips to minimize the number of fish, particularly larger (9"+ crappie) fish, on these tiny hooks?  I'm guessing it's just something you deal with using these small hooks, but I'll take any tips that you've found to help!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Losing Fish on 3mm Tungsten
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:21 AM »
How soft is the rod you're fishing with? We catch big trout on little hooks out here, seems they stay pinned better with rods that have a little more flex in 'em.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Bending the hook down some 45 deg ..may help ..also moving the knot forward ..allowing the hook to be at 45 deg may work also

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Along with the above suggestions, make sure your hood are “fingernail sharp”!
It’s been my experience many missed hook-ups are due to dull hooks. Even out of the package, they sometimes need a touch up.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:56 AM »
Agree with Hardwater.  Move the knot forward and this helps.  I don't like to use the 3mm and try not to when fishing, but when its called for, you have to try.  Moving forward seemed to work, so I just always do this now.

Never really thought of bending the hook down, so may try this if I notice more misses. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:03 PM »
Don't bend it down, bend the hook sideways- Gives it a larger gap.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:48 PM »
How soft is the rod you're fishing with? We catch big trout on little hooks out here, seems they stay pinned better with rods that have a little more flex in 'em.

I throw the 3mm either on my 27" UL Tickle Stick using 4lb braid to a 2lb flouro leader or on a 25" L Wicked Ice rod (with spring bobber) with straight 3lb flouro.  Maybe a noodle rod would help keep from pulling the hook...
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Bending the hook down some 45 deg ..may help ..also moving the knot forward ..allowing the hook to be at 45 deg may work also

I've never tried this!  I have moved the knot back before to get jig to hang horizontally.  May have to try that.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:52 PM »

I like this idea!!!  I think the small gap on the hook is likely the issue, leading to skin hooked fish that flop off near/in the hole.  Reminds me of using Tru-Turn hooks, which my dad always swore by when using crappie minnows under slip-bobbers in open water.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2020, 01:14 PM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:36 PM »
If you want to fish a 3mm size head but want a larger hook I would get some of the Clam Drop XL jigs in 1/64 oz size it has a 3mm head on a #12 hook.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drop-jig-xl.html#size=13
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:43 PM »
I think the more important question here is how are you setting the hook? Those tiny tungstens on a noodle-tip rod takes zero effort to set the hook. Literally just calmly, but swiftly, lift the rod keeping the rod parallel to the ice. Like an “=“ equals sign. With these tiny tungstens, it’s really the type of rod you’re using that does all of the work. I tend to get excited and anxiously set the hook in a jerking motion. That’s the wrong thing to do here using these tools. Especially considering that the majority of your line is braid. Braid has no give so all of the force being exerted to set the hook is a direct link from your jig to your rods action. Meaning, YOUR setup is highly dependent on your rods action and what YOU are doing as the angler to effect that action. On top of being excellent bite indicators, rods built like this are even more inherently like shock absorbers for your line and bait than normal rods and you have to let the rod do it’s job. I’ve heard a lot of guys snapping the tips on this style of rod on the hook set many times. Sure, the tips are fragile but more often than not they set the hook with the rod at an extreme angle relative to the ice. Instead of setting the hook like “=“ they set the hook like this “_\” and it pushes the rod tip (shock absorber) to its functional limit and breaks. Much like a shock absorber for your vehicle does when you hit a huge pothole or run over a high curb. It tends to break at that point.

People don’t tend to realize that there is a learning curve when it comes to using tungsten jigs and modern noodle rods together. There is. There are a few things to consider and they are subtle but it can make a difference. You’re getting them to bite so you’ve accomplished half of the battle, now we just need to work on sticking the hook. There is a lot of good advice already here like widening the hook gap and using sharp hooks that can help but ultimately it comes down to how you’re setting the hook in conjunction with the gear you’re using. And once you get them stuck, you have to try to not over-zealously rip the jig out of their mouth during the fight by stressing that “shock absorber” (especially since you’re using mostly braid). A good drag helps tremendously but again, it ultimately comes down to staying calm and letting the rod do it’s job.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2020, 02:57 PM »
And once you get them stuck, you have to try to not over-zealously rip the jig out of their mouth during the fight by stressing that “shock absorber” (especially since you’re using mostly braid). A good drag helps tremendously but again, it ultimately comes down to staying calm and letting the rod do it’s job.

I think i'm doing well on the hookset because my hookup ratio is high.  The part I quoted is I think the problem.  The majority of the ones I lose are once I've seen the fish.  I get them right up to the hole or in the hole (but not out of it) and then they come off.  Does anyone do anything special on the landing with 3mm?  I usually do a lift/swing out of the hole.  Or are you guys grabbing them with your hands to lift them out?

Again, this rarely is an issue using 4mm or bigger.  Maybe I need to be holding them in the hole and fish them out (pun intended) with my hands? 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:03 PM »
If you want to fish a 3mm size head but want a larger hook I would get some of the Clam Drop XL jigs in 1/64 oz size it has a 3mm head on a #12 hook.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drop-jig-xl.html#size=13

I didn't realize they made this head in a small size.  I think the XL threw me, thinking these were 5-7mm heads.

I think finding small jigs like this one (or the Sportsmans Direct Pro Series that Matzilla linked) with the larger hooks will be on my to-do list for black friday sales!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:10 PM »

Agree with this! I do this on all my tip downs as well, helps alot when using minnows.
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:12 PM »
I think i'm doing well on the hookset because my hookup ratio is high.  The part I quoted is I think the problem.  The majority of the ones I lose are once I've seen the fish.  I get them right up to the hole or in the hole (but not out of it) and then they come off.  Does anyone do anything special on the landing with 3mm?  I usually do a lift/swing out of the hole.  Or are you guys grabbing them with your hands to lift them out?

Again, this rarely is an issue using 4mm or bigger.  Maybe I need to be holding them in the hole and fish them out (pun intended) with my hands?

Although I dont use those smaller sizes ...landing is always at the hole .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:27 PM »
I didn't realize they made this head in a small size.  I think the XL threw me, thinking these were 5-7mm heads.

I think finding small jigs like this one (or the Sportsmans Direct Pro Series that Matzilla linked) with the larger hooks will be on my to-do list for black friday sales!

the Drop XL are 3, 4, & 5mm heads with larger then normal hooks hence the XL in the name.

1/64oz is 3mm head with #12 hook
1/32oz is 4mm head with #10 hook
1/16oz is 5mm head with #8 hook
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:52 PM »
An easy one to forget. Make sure your hooks is sharp. Too many hooks straight out of the package are dull nowadays.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Although I dont use those smaller sizes ...landing is always at the hole .

Do you pull them out with the rod or grab them with your hands?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2020, 05:17 PM »
I use 3mm 99.5% of the time snd have no problems with hook ups.might be the way you tie them on.try a rapala knot once the jig balances at a perfect angle.also i bait with 2 spikes and i do not cover the hook point.i use jigs with sharp hooks too like fiskas or amped outdoors as some jigs just have thick cheap hooks.

Offline reggie1610

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2020, 05:29 PM »
The gap of the hook is the most important part on small hooks in my opinion. Most of the nymphs I use fly fishing are smaller then a 3mm tungsten, but all with a very wide gap hook.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:01 PM »
I second that little trick for small hooks.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:13 PM »
depending upon the size, I will do either. the smaller ones i will lift, but the bigger ones, I bring to the hole and i will grab them

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:01 AM »
depending upon the size, I will do either. the smaller ones i will lift, but the bigger ones, I bring to the hole and i will grab them

I'm swinging all of them.  Now I do use a 10" hole (let's not debate that in this thread). 

Once they are up to within an inch or so of the surface and their head is facing up, then I lift/swing them up onto the ice.  The majority that I lose occur when they're right at the bottom of the hole to the top of the hole.  Living in PA, we rarely have more than 8" of ice (FYI).

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:16 AM »
I'm swinging all of them.  Now I do use a 10" hole (let's not debate that in this thread). 

Once they are up to within an inch or so of the surface and their head is facing up, then I lift/swing them up onto the ice.  The majority that I lose occur when they're right at the bottom of the hole to the top of the hole.  Living in PA, we rarely have more than 8" of ice (FYI).
that's when I usually lose them too. they bump the edge of the hole and pop the hook. I'm fishing either a 6" or 7" hole. My 8" auger is gas and more then twice the weight of the cordless drill combo.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 27, 2020, 11:30 AM »
I dunno...maybe it's just me, but I use 3 and 4mm through a 5" hole and rarely lose any. I do use Fiskas and Skandia jigs which are pretty sharp. I also either remove my transducer from the hole after setting the hook or use a separate hole. But I think rod action, especially the tip, is important. Need to find a good balance between not too stiff and not too whippy. And on the 5, even 4" hole? You can pull 9 and 10" gills through either of them if you take your time and don't start horsing them . And if they do come off? You have time to reach down there and pull them out. Takes them a bit to get turned around before heading back down the hole.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #26 on: Oct 27, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Use your scoop to help land them.

Crappie have thin skin at their mouth. Unless you can hook them in the lip or roof of the mouth, it is easy for them to knock the hook out of the now oblong hole near their lips at the ice hole.

Also, the more out of the water they are, the heavier they become on the hook as they lose buoyancy making is it easier to rip out the hook.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2020, 12:21 AM »
Totally unrelated but with older fish, especially in crappies, the soft mouth lining either applies or doesn't.  Older fish have a hard mouth skeletal cartilage that hooks points just doesn't pin into.  There is a small percentage of fish that will bite onto a lure and no hook point will ever get pinned into any flesh.  You are able to pull that fish several feet or all the way to the hole just then the fish will open it's mouth fully to just merely let go of the lure.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:28 AM »
Still trying to figure why you would bend a hook down, closing the gap. I’ve always bent hooks up and a slight bit out for better hooking. Doesn’t that make more sense?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Still trying to figure why you would bend a hook down, closing the gap. I’ve always bent hooks up and a slight bit out for better hooking. Doesn’t that make more sense?

Bend the shank near the jig head down some ..puts the hook in a better position.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.