Author Topic: Lithium battery problem?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lithium battery problem?
« on: Oct 26, 2020, 05:34 AM »
I have an Energized Outdoors 20Ah battery (purchased 12/19) that will not charge. I’m using a Ctek lithium charger, and it comes back with an error that indicates “battery cannot hold charge”. I last charged the battery in April (without any issues), and it has been disconnected/stored in a closet for the last 6 months. Is there anything that I can do to salvage the battery?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Re: Lithium battery problem?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:14 AM »
Have you contacted the vendor?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:17 AM »
If its under warranty i wouldnt do anything but contact amped outdoors.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:58 AM »
Thanks!

I contacted Amped Outdoors, and I did not expect a reply so fast (within minutes….before 7am EST). They indicated that my charger is not made for BMS. I will need to connect another 12v battery in parallel to reset the BMS. Will let everyone know the results.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2020, 07:12 AM »
Well, I was not able to “wake” the battery by connecting it to another 12V in parallel. The chargers offered by Amped Outdoors are inexpensive ($20), but I’m not sure if I would just be throwing good money after bad?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2020, 07:34 AM »
So its not under warranty??i would think a battery should last longer than that.i had a similar issue with my dakota lithium and they made it right after some persistent emails.i went with amped outdoors batteries because they are a sponsor here and believe the customer service is better?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:28 AM »
I have two lithium batteries, Dakota and Amped, I bought the charger for each one when I bought the batteries and I labeled them which came with which.   When you spend that much on a battery i want to maximize my use for it.

PS the charger that I bought with the Amped was much better and had indicator lights for charging Lithium or lead acid batteries.  Its looks copied the Battery Tender brand (green/yellow) but is a knock off.  Works great thou.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:30 AM »
I would contact them again and see what they tell you to do.  Before I threw it away I would probably get their charger that is designed for their battery (sounds like a simpler fix than adding other batteries in sequence to reset).  But again, I would talk to them since they're the battery experts.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:54 AM »
You need to call Matt for service or questions. It should not have fully discharged in the resting state it was in after 6 months. He will take care of you.

From amped web page.

(LiFePO4) Batteries

Q – Do I need to use a lithium charger?
A – We HIGHLY encourage the use of a LiFePO4 charger with our batteries. Your SLA charger will put a charge on our battery but are typically only 13.5v vs LiFePO4 chargers being 14.4-14.6v. To ensure a full charge, speed of charge and proper cell balancing, it is wise to use a LiFePO4 charger. We sell these with batteries at or below cost to enhance our customer experience. Deltran and many other chargers that show will charge lithium, often do not include the feature to reset a BMS. This means they will not charge a battery that has been fully drained.

Q - Warranty and Money Back Guarantee of Amped Outdoors Batteries?
A - We offer 2-5 year warranties on all batteries. Our warranty will cover more than most gimmick warranties in the industry today claiming 10+years. See warranty section for details. We also offer a 30-day money back guarantee on all batteries from date of purchase. *

https://ampedoutdoors.com/pages/faq

How to Obtain Warranty Service

Contact service at ampedoutdoors dot com or call 715-914-7274. Most warranty claims end up being educational or charging related issues, which can easily be resolved through troubleshooting. If we deem your product is defective after troubleshooting first, then, you will be issued an RMA number and can move to step 2.

Offline seano

• IceShanty Rookie
  • if you can read this your fishing too close
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2020, 12:03 AM »
lithium batteries are no joke. a proper BMS is critical, i found out the hard way after i burned my shed down, i reccomend a smoke detector in the charging area
im surrounded by ice holes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.