The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Suggestions for a non-local?  (Read 821 times)

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Suggestions for a non-local?
« on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:50 PM »
I just got dispensation from SWMBO. She is visiting family friends that I don't know very well at all. We are going to Libertyville, north of Chicago. I have a day-night-day to ice fish sometime during the week between Xmas and New Years.

Looking for suggestions with in 2-3 hours (Rheinlander might be just a little too far - though I'd love that!).

I'm a multi-species guy - just as happy with panfish as walleye, maybe happier! I'm not really a tipup guy. I won't have my quad, just a pull-behind sled, electric auger, graph, rods, etc. and gear. 

Looking for suggestions as to where I might try, and where I might stay. Not looking for a spot, but maybe a lake?? Winnebago looks a little big to walk.....

Please PM if you can find it in your heart to take pity on a poor visitor.

Thanks,

Dave
South Lyon, MI

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Suggestions for a non-local?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:59 AM »
I would think that Monona bay in Madison would be good for you, you can park near the lake where they fish, lots of panfish. I live more west of there, so lakes at Gov Dodge state park in Dodgeville and Blackhawk lake near highland offer different species (musky/walleye at twin valley in gov dodge and Northern pike/walleye in Blackhawk) There is also Yellowstone further south but I don't fish that much. If you decide to head out this way PM me and maybe I could meet you at the lake.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:49 AM »
I would say be very careful that far south, we are just finally getting good enough ice up north here to where I am not nervous walking out. After next week should be good to go almost anywhere. We might not make it above zero next week.

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:27 PM »
Thanks, Lenny. I'll call on you if I get the chance.

Thanks Eriksat1. I'll be careful. I'm not going out if the spud goes through! I also wear my vest this time of year.

Dave

Offline Kcorb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:02 AM »
I have always had great luck on Bangs Lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.