Author Topic: Delayed Knutsons bait order  (Read 1165 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Delayed Knutsons bait order
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:38 AM »
I ordered bait from Knutson's Bait last Thursday and paid $20 in 2nd day air delivery and I still don't have my bait! Lady at Knutson's said they use FedEx for deliveries and FedEx only delivers Mon-Fri. FedEx website says delivery is scheduled for Wens by the end of the day. So I guess that you must order bait from Knutson's Mon-Wens in order to get bait with 2nd day air price of $20. That really sucks! Changed my whole fishing plans now! Thanks for listening to my rant.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Delayed Knutsons bait order
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:05 AM »
No problem listening to your rant. The only problem is that it states clearly on the web page that you must order by Wednesday. Just saying. Well not clearly you have to click on the shipping tab. Sorry to hear your plans had to change! Only upside their live bait will arrive in really good shape!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:09 AM »
All live animals sales from reputable dealers, be it aquarium corals or fishing bait, work this way with their 2-day shipping. It’s two days from when they ship, not necessarily from when you order. They ship between specific days to ensure that 2-day delivery. Since you ordered on Thursday, they will ship the following Monday and on Wednesday you’ll have a FedEx guy at your door. They do disclose this on their “shipping info” page.

For future reference, when ordering anything living (even some plants), ALWAYS check for shipping information. I know it sucks but they’re coming and there’s plenty of winter left.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:18 AM »
All live animals sales from reputable dealers, be it aquarium corals or fishing bait, work this way with their 2-day shipping. It’s two days from when they ship, not necessarily from when you order. They ship between specific days to ensure that 2-day delivery. Since you ordered on Thursday, they will ship the following Monday and on Wednesday you’ll have a FedEx guy at your door. They do disclose this on their “shipping info” page.

For future reference, when ordering anything living (even some plants), ALWAYS check for shipping information. I know it sucks but they’re coming and there’s plenty of winter left.

This also apply's to anything that ships with Dry Ice.
Just add water.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:58 AM »
This also apply's to anything that ships with Dry Ice.
Yep and if the shipper decides that the temps will be too extreme they will hold off shipping. I know that it is an inconvenience, but they really want you to receive their products in great shape! Done business with this company several seasons and always have been happy with the products.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:59 AM »
Who has time to read shipping info on bait sites? I guess I do now since I am not going fishing. If I read shipping info, I would have made other arrangements. Thanks for pointing this info out for me guys! Question: I have shipped packages across the country in two days with postal service then why cant I get bait shipped in 2 days? Post office delivers on Saturdays too. If I spent time reading shipping info then i could have missed something on shanty posts!-lol I will recover from this blunder and I have learned something in the process. Thanks guys!

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:06 PM »
Unclegillhunter- I have been ordering from Knutson's for many years now. I like their baits for the most part. Sometimes the "Giant meal worms" are not so giant, but bait is usually in good shape and last the whole season for me. I am just frustrated that my plans didn't go as I hoped. Thanks for listening and replying! I will fully recover from this tragedy as soon as i get back on lake and catch a few fish.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:31 PM »
FWIW meal worms are dirt easy to raise yourself. So easy, in fact, that most often you'll find yourself overrun with the critters. A couple of five gallon buckets or other good size containers, some flour and some wheat bran and a sieve and you're good to go. I can't remember the process from when I did it but it was the beetles in one (flour I think) and worms in the bran. Wife hated listening to the beetles try to scrabble up the side of the bucket but they couldn't get out so I just left it open with no top. Always left a glass gallon jug of leeches in the fridge too  ;D. After raising thousands more than I could ever use I gave up the project. Still a good exercise in being self-sufficient.

Spikes are easy too. Just throw a hunk of meat somewhere and wait.It won't be long. Want 'em colored? Add food coloring to the meat. Best meat to raise spike for bait? Commercially it's usually turkey but fish raised spikes are killer.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 PM »
FWIW meal worms are dirt easy to raise yourself. So easy, in fact, that most often you'll find yourself overrun with the critters. A couple of five gallon buckets or other good size containers, some flour and some wheat bran and a sieve and you're good to go. I can't remember the process from when I did it but it was the beetles in one (flour I think) and worms in the bran. Wife hated listening to the beetles try to scrabble up the side of the bucket but they couldn't get out so I just left it open with no top. Always left a glass gallon jug of leeches in the fridge too  ;D. After raising thousands more than I could ever use I gave up the project. Still a good exercise in being self-sufficient.

Spikes are easy too. Just throw a hunk of meat somewhere and wait.It won't be long. Want 'em colored? Add food coloring to the meat. Best meat to raise spike for bait? Commercially it's usually turkey but fish raised spikes are killer.

Interesting, thanks for the info.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 PM »
esox_xtm- good info, but I dont even have time to read shipping info on bait sites nevermind time to raise my own bait. Maybe I can convince my neighbor to raise bait. Thanks for info!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Unclegillhunter- I have been ordering from Knutson's for many years now. I like their baits for the most part. Sometimes the "Giant meal worms" are not so giant, but bait is usually in good shape and last the whole season for me. I am just frustrated that my plans didn't go as I hoped. Thanks for listening and replying! I will fully recover from this tragedy as soon as i get back on lake and catch a few fish.
Well at least you were planning to go to some ice to fish! I may have safe ice by Sunday!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:04 PM »
esox_xtm- good info, but I dont even have time to read shipping info on bait sites nevermind time to raise my own bait. Maybe I can convince my neighbor to raise bait. Thanks for info!

Seriously, it's hardly any work at all as I recall it. Too easy, almost set it and forget it except for sifting out your bait from time to time. Kept mine in the basement. No stink, no mess... Just throwin' it out there.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:45 AM »
because 2 days is not guaranteed.  you can ship anything 2 days and it will likely get there but if it doesn't oh well.  with live organisms that 2 day is not guaranteed this cushion allows them to not have to reship when you complain all your bait sat in a truck over the weekend and is dead.   Knutsons, Vados, Jada all have these policies and have for years. 

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:11 PM »
Yea! Bait was delivered! Bait was a little warm, but i didnt see any dead ones with the spikes, mealies or wax worms I ordered. I will be fishing tomorrow and my "saga" is over! Thanks for reading my whiney post and all who responded. Life is good again now!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:19 PM »
its tough to time.   in the lower midwest where you can never be certain, sometimes it puts us in a bind.  And our shops around here historically have been terrible at tgetting bait especially spikes on time. 

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Yea! Bait was delivered! Bait was a little warm, but i didnt see any dead ones with the spikes, mealies or wax worms I ordered. I will be fishing tomorrow and my "saga" is over! Thanks for reading my whiney post and all who responded. Life is good again now!

Good deal! Just make sure you store them in an air-tight container at about 40 degrees. A dark jar and the bottom/back of a fridge works great!  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.