Author Topic: Gulp minnows  (Read 2313 times)

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gulp minnows
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Anyone use the little ones for jigging?i grabbed a jar this year thinking they might be good jigging for trout or crappies.any input or tips.thanx.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gulp minnows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:45 PM »
Yep they work

Make sure the cap is on super tight and/or you put it in a plastic bag. Those jars are notorious for leaking

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Yep, I've even got them to work on a dead stick when live minnows seemed to spook crappies.

They are fantastic baits for big bluegills for me in the summer using the same tungstens that I would through ice.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Thanx ,gonna try them on asmall maribou jig and my favorite buckshot rattle jig.if we get ice.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:09 PM »
They work great for crappie . I use a ball jam jar. Has a rubber gasket in the lid, keeps it from leaking. I think there are products out there that will help. Or put the jars in a good zip lock bag. Or deal with the mess!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:13 PM »
I carry blue, pink and chartreuse with me. Sometimes its all that will work.
Another good bait to have on hand.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:26 PM »
I use them for steelhead in the rivers tipped on a 1/32oz marabou jig.  The jars leak, so only peel back the top plastic to get the baits out, but make sure you don't take it off.  It seems to act as a gasket to keep those juices from leaking all over everything.  Now I dump the jars in to little specimin jars from the hospital.  Ask your doctor for a couple next time you're in there.  You will probably get a weird look, but they work way better than the leaky jars.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Yeah gulp is not allowed in my shanty,boat or truck.crap stinks and leaks out in any container.i just use live bait over gulp.i have a hate for it.lol it either leaks all over Gear, smells like nasty catfood or it leaks and dries up and it useless then.team anti gulp!haha i need some ice!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:07 PM »
Gulp leaches work real well for cusk.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:32 AM »
I use the gulp minnows all the time. I can keep the stuff all year without the fuss of keeping live bait.
I can tell ya it's important to keep the miinows at a good angle to get more bites.
Tungsten works best if its a horizontal.
If using a #14 hook size don't be afraid to shorten or trim the bait to suit the situation.
Split the tail, thin the tail, remove 1/4" of the head. Anything to make it presenable.
I use the shake and stop method.
I have used them in the summer under a bobber when worms are difficult to keep alive.
To fix the smell and leaking jar potential I use one of those orange boat boxes with the seal.
In stained water get the smelt kind or something with more white on them.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:01 AM »
We have a franchise of a business called "The Container Store" in Indy that sells all manner
of boxes, bottles, shelving and bags.  The workers by now are used to me bringing in all manner
of lures etc looking to see if they will fit in this box or the other in my quest for the perfect set up.

I found a couple of small glass jars with bakelite screw caps that will hold a couple of days worth
of crappie noogies.  The seal is tight enough to keep the stench from invading my tackle bag.  Mind,
they are glass so I wrap them in duck tape for protection.

As far as all of the scented baits go - some days they work great, some days not so much.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:04 AM »
All great advice guys thanx,hope we get some ice real soon.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:04 AM »
I love gulp minnows for open water, haven’t tried the little ones through the ice yet but I have a jar for this year. Besides the juice leaking, make sure you don’t let them dry on your jig! They are like leather once they dry and it’s hard to cut them off the hook.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:18 AM »
anyone use honeyworms?
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Make your own gaskets with this:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/faucet-and-faucet-repair/faucet-and-valve-packing/4218095
Trace your jar/bottle mouth on material then cut. Lasts forever and will never, ever leak.  :)    FT

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:54 PM »
I use the 1" Gulp chartreuse and white minnows.  The jars are kept in a small zip lock bag.

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:30 PM »
I use the 1 gulp minnows and also the gulp minnow heads caught gills, perch, crappies, and a few trout I start with them but on some days they wont work as good as a waxxie

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:44 PM »
we've caught everything from salmon to bass on these . i like the 2.5in watermelon pearl.  they will even hit it dead sticking a second rod next to where your jigging.  a chartreuse or white  1/4oz. jighead is all you need. works esp. well when they're fussy. I've used the 1in fishing creeks for brookies. beats playing with worms.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:48 PM »
It's a good bait.

Catches a variety of species. I just wished they held up better. It's like they make them purposely crapty to keep people buying them. I get it, I just dont like it.

I have smelt, fire tiger, and chartreuse on me at all times.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.