Author Topic: Flip Over Skirts  (Read 3940 times)

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
Flip Over Skirts
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Good Morning Guys,

So I decided to brave the winds and go fishing yesterday. After moving to a few spots and finally settling on a decent spot the winds gusted a little bit harder and decided to push me and the old TC around on the ice. The gusts pushed most of the snow away on the lake so the only real "snow" I could put on the skirts was what the auger made. Which made for a few drafty hours in the spot.

Anyone have any fixes for weighing down the skirts without adding to much drag weight to the sled? It was a heavy drag for the 3/4 of the mile I decided to trek as is, or maybe im just not in as good a shape as I thought, But thats another issue!

Thank in advance for the ideas!
Cody

:tipup:

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flip Over Skirts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:09 AM »
The frost guard windshield thing works good.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:12 AM »
The frost guard windshield thing works good.

Do you put this under the sled to give it traction?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:24 PM »
use your spud bar on one side and a logging chain on the other two.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Clam makes these "skirt snakes" that you fill with sand to keep your skirt down.  You can probably make them yourself easily, but for $7.49, it might just be easier to buy:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CLAM-FISHTRAP-SKIRT-SNAKE-PK/2568579.uts?slotId=0

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:43 PM »
I pull my skirts to the inside if its windy and no snow.then put my heater on one and my vex on the other.thermos too or my rod locker.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:49 PM »
My fx100 skirt get pulled inside, and I use the slush from drilling  three holes to keep it weighed down...

Most distracting post I've made... Lol don't Google "wind skirt"  at least at work... ;D

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:54 PM »
yep, id rather fold the skirts to the inside than bring some worthless heavy sandbags or log chains..lol.maybe if they were useful for something else but..

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:56 PM »
yep, id rather fold the skirts to the inside than bring some worthless heavy sandbags or log chains..lol.maybe if they were useful for something else but..

X2, all kinds of free heavy ice around, and you can leave it there when your finished!

<°)))>{

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:57 PM »
My fx100 skirt get pulled inside, and I use the slush from drilling  three holes to keep it weighed down...

Most distracting post I've made... Lol don't Google "wind skirt"  at least at work... ;D

<°)))>{

HAHA I will make sure not to google that!

To you guys who flip the skirt does the slush weigh it down enough to prevent it from sliding? I looked into the skirt snakes, PS id make sure to google Clam skirt snakes, but didnt know if anyone used them.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:14 PM »
HAHA I will make sure not to google that!

To you guys who flip the skirt does the slush weigh it down enough to prevent it from sliding? I looked into the skirt snakes, PS id make sure to google Clam skirt snakes, but didnt know if anyone used them.

Sliding? To keep it from blowing away? Not enough for me to trust, there are days if my shanty takes off and I want to get it back its a three hour drive and I'd have to stop home for my passport lol...

I always set up with my back to the wind, but before flipping, or drilling, I install an ice anchor and throw my tow rope around it.. Then I pull the sled so the rope is tight, that tells me exactly where my holes need to be.. I drill the holes, keeping all the shavings handy.. Once I flip it over, I clean out the holes in comfort out of the wind (always windy on Erie)... 

Obviously I use my door to get out and stretch....

<°)))>{

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Do you put this under the sled to give it traction?

no I clip it onto the front bar as a extension or sew it into the front flap to do the same

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Sliding? To keep it from blowing away? Not enough for me to trust, there are days if my shanty takes off and I want to get it back its a three hour drive and I'd have to stop home for my passport lol...

I always set up with my back to the wind, but before flipping, or drilling, I install an ice anchor and throw my tow rope around it.. Then I pull the sled so the rope is tight, that tells me exactly where my holes need to be.. I drill the holes, keeping all the shavings handy.. Once I flip it over, I clean out the holes in comfort out of the wind (always windy on Erie)... 

Obviously I use my door to get out and stretch....

<°)))>{

I always put my back to the wind as well. The ice anchor to tow rope is a good idea!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:56 AM »
In the past, I've punched extra holes to make enough chips, carry a couple pieces of lead/steel/wood, filled tube socks with sand to keep the skirt on the ice. ;)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Try adding bungee cords to the flaps to keep them close to the sides of the sled.
jbird68

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:08 PM »
I always put my back to the wind as well. The ice anchor to tow rope is a good idea!

When I bought by used flip over shanty there were two large eye bolts installed on the back of the sled, which I promptly removed. First time out in heavy winds I realized what those eye bolts were for, LOL!!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:08 PM »
When I bought by used flip over shanty there were two large eye bolts installed on the back of the sled, which I promptly removed. First time out in heavy winds I realized what those eye bolts were for, LOL!!!

If you look close, you can see my anchor and rope, also the bucket with something in it, tipped away from the wind, on the leeward side of it all...

Although if my rig blew away that day, it would have gotten back to the truck lol, of course, the time I wasn't pulling by hand lol...

<°)))>{

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Tell me about that boat!!

If you look close, you can see my anchor and rope, also the bucket with something in it, tipped away from the wind, on the leeward side of it all...

Although if my rig blew away that day, it would have gotten back to the truck lol, of course, the time I wasn't pulling by hand lol...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Tell me about that boat!!

Called an ice scratcher, made in Wisconsin, before I was even a thought...

<°)))>{

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:30 AM »
I have a small clam shovel I bring and scoop ice chips onto edge of flaps to keep in place. Make sure you don't cover the whole flap because it will be a b***h to move when it freezes. I usually cover maybe an inch of the flap. I covered a flap too much on my pop up hub and tore the flap pulling it free from frozen ice chips I had put on there.

I have anchors to use if needed but i usually pop a hole and let water run under sled to freeze to ice. Works very well for keeping me where I want in wind. When it's too warm for that, i usually don't have my flip over anyways.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.