Author Topic: Considering a New Insulated Hub style shelter .  (Read 4111 times)

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Considering a New Insulated Hub style shelter .
« on: Jan 27, 2018, 02:54 AM »
For price verses space , I believe I'm going with Eskimo Quickfish 5i . Does anyone here have one of these ? Recommend a good dealer ?  I see most have the 945i . Is it recommended to set these up after your done so they  can dry out ? The most people I should have at any one time would be 3 to 4 . Also could you recommend a sled size or model ? I believe these shelters are 65 inches long in the carry bag . I've never owned a true ice fishing sled . I've just always use one of the kids sleds to get the gear on to the ice , but I'm assuming with more dedicated gear I should get a sled more dedicated to the task . I've read that you guys with these shelters also recommend ratchet straps for the tie down ropes and a portable drill to set the anchors ? The only other thing I can think of is something to place on the ice for floor insulation . Maybe rubber fatigue floor matting ? I already have a propane Buddy heater , so we should be good for heat . Any opinions are greatly appreciated . Thanks.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Re: Considering a New Insulated Hub style shelter .
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:40 AM »
I have the Quickfish 3i and like it a lot.  Since Eskimo came out with the Fatfish line, there have been lots of good deals on the Quickfish shelters. 

I wear Kahtoola spikes pretty often, so for floor insulation I just use sections of 12"x12" puzzle foam to rest my feet and gear on.  They're cheap and hold up to the spikes pretty well.  Two pieces side by side make a perfect size mat to keep your feet off the ice while you're sitting down.  They're light as a feather too.  I use the same foam tiles to make hole covers for use with tip-ups and Jawjackers.

I have some NiteIze "Figure 9" quick tie-outs I use for the wall anchors.  They're much lighter and simpler than ratchet straps and sturdier than the two tie-outs that are supplied with the shelter.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Look at Polar Birds.  They’re a little pricy this year, but the floor is awesome.  Those of us that have them, love them.  They are very well built and very warm, even with no heater.  DR.SPECKLER(IS member)can give you a coupon code worth 10% off.

DN

Ps.  Those tiny scuffs you can see on the floor in the first pic are from my ice cleats.  That is the only damage cleats will do to it.  I wear my cleats always.  The floor is very, very tough material.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys . Deal Ninja , I can't believe the Polar Bird has never come up in my internet searching ! I even looked at Pro Bass for pricing . It seems like a very good shelter , but the Quickfish 5 I is slightly larger and taller and has removable windows ( may use it for woods camping and use window for wood burner chimney ) . I definitely wish it came with the Polar Bird floor though . That floor is excellent !
  Desmobob , I was definitely considering the puzzle mats . I was only afraid they may slide around to easily when walked on since they are extremely light weight .

Straightshot , that site is always the first to appear in my price searching . Thanks . I actually placed a 5i in my cart on that site , but was hoping to actually go see a 5 I in a store somewhere near western Pennsylvania . Seems the only dedicated ice fishing shelter suppliers are the North Central States ? I was even hoping there may be a stocked supplier up near lake Erie . Fish USA in Erie has a nice supply of shelters , but unfortunately not the 5 i . Someone in one of my past posts suggested I wait for the end of the season for some great deals , but I'm afraid they may be all picked over till next year . Decisions , decisions ........ Thanks again for all of your help guys .

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:12 PM »
check shappell wh6500 insulated.
insulated does hold a ton of water if heating or if it's raining. makes it very heavy and very hard to dry.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Thanks 3300 . I was kinda wondering about moisture build-up . I'll have to clear a dry out spot in my basement room and place a fan to dry it out after each use .

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:26 PM »
no problem.
here's some more talk about them i wrote for some one wanting the best hub.
they will be literally draining water from it when it gets wet enough. my uninsulated version just frosts up on the inside and no drying needed.
trying to stuff back in a bag become pointless also. i use cinch straps instead to get it back to shore in a sled and then it goes in the garage or in the house to dry. if it's draining water it goes into the bath tub for an over night stay and then in front of heat registers collapsed but loosely while it drys folded.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=356066.msg3807514#msg3807514

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:57 PM »
I read the link you posted to your other post . Thank you ! It was very informative about the insulated shelters . You already answered a question I had yet to ask . I figured a good soaking of water proofing would stop the soaking of the insulation , but apparently not .
  Here's another idea . I have a nylon cover from a old broken Pop-up shade shelter . I wonder if I would spray it heavily with water proofing and bungie it over the hub shelter , if it would help stop the soaking of the main shelters top side ? Just an idea .

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:00 AM »
While I’ve not taken the opportunity to fish in the rain with the Polar Bird, I have little doubt that I would stay ‘mostly’ dry.  The material repels water like was waterproofed.  The only part of the hub that soaks up water are the four black nylon straps sewn in at each corner of the skirt for ice anchors.  With that being said, I do bring it indoors to completely dry at the end of each weekend’s fishing.  It does an awesome job of fogging up the inside’s of my car’s windows if I leave it in the car(Toyota Highlander) damp.  lol.  Also see: 

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:46 AM »
polarbird,not that I'm biased..i own tons of shelters,clam, frabill,shappell and polarbird.polarbird was giving away a shelter if you could break their hub poles by hand,couldnt be done,ive broke two shappell wh 6500 poles setting it up.barely needs a heater and I like the light color inside of the polarbirds too.easier to tie on jigs.the floor is great too and is more mobile than other hubs.just drag it with gear inside.last year polarbird started a prostaff team and I was picked to be one for Michigan but I haven't heard anything this year from the polarbird team..however my prostaff code still works for 10% off any shelter.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:12 AM »
yep a tarp attached to the hub straps that fit just right would work. you can install grommets with a kit from harbor freight cheap and cut one up to fit it. they also give free tarps with coupons. you wouldn't want it loose and making a bunch of noise in the winds, so make the it a little short and use some bungee on clips to attach it to the hub anchors/eye bolts.

would just be a home made rain fly. i think about using it for camping at times, but we don't camp any more. making screen windows is what i would do besides a rain fly.
we shouldn't have to do this tho for an ideal shelter. so i am not satisfied with my purchases so far.

the polar birds floor would or should keep you floor dry if used for camping.
it's too bad polar bird doesn't have them on display like all the others do so we can shop them better.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:18 AM »
there are some polarbird displays at stores,bass pro and even the little swan lake store in Allegan has them.but pretty much a online deal..i always have guys come out and check out my polarbird 4t when I bring it out on the ice and I give them a little demonstration and feature walk thru.all were  impressed.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:10 PM »
yep a tarp attached to the hub straps that fit just right would work. you can install grommets with a kit from harbor freight cheap and cut one up to fit it. they also give free tarps with coupons. you wouldn't want it loose and making a bunch of noise in the winds, so make the it a little short and use some bungee on clips to attach it to the hub anchors/eye bolts.

would just be a home made rain fly. i think about using it for camping at times, but we don't camp any more. making screen windows is what i would do besides a rain fly.
we shouldn't have to do this tho for an ideal shelter. so i am not satisfied with my purchases so far.

the polar birds floor would or should keep you floor dry if used for camping.
it's too bad polar bird doesn't have them on display like all the others do so we can shop them better.

The polar bird is impressive in material and the floor . With the Eskimo , If spring or fall camping , I'll just throw a pop-up canopy over and a 10x12 tarp down for a floor . My childhood fishing buddy is now handicap from a stroke a couple years ago . When I take him ice fishing , I need as much room as possible for lawn chairs and heaters and such . I just have to remember to keep him & my setup close to shore . Last time we ( him with ice cane ) walked 500 yards in 10° temps and transport time took me hours and multiple trips from the truck to setup spot . This is the main reason I'm after a big hub shelter and in the works for a bigger transport sled . Everything has to be a one man job , but big enough for 3-4 people and equipment . Maybe I'm just getting to old for our adventurous spirits ? NAH ..... LOL !

Offline unclecrash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Look at Polar Birds.  They’re a little pricy this year, but the floor is awesome.  Those of us that have them, love them.  They are very well built and very warm, even with no heater.  DR.SPECKLER(IS member)can give you a coupon code worth 10% off.

DN

Ps.  Those tiny scuffs you can see on the floor in the first pic are from my ice cleats.  That is the only damage cleats will do to it.  I wear my cleats always.  The floor is very, very tough material.
  Wish I  would have seen the polar bird before I picked up my Guide gear 6x12. I had it one year sat in the box new bought after 1ce last year. Had it out three times was loving it . Till the other night went to put it away and notice one of the poles has a bow in it it was stuck in the hub a bit I think didnt think twice about it but should have so I wrapa strap a round it then see the pole is not bent any more but has somehow come out the hub. Glad I saw it so I stuff it in here it pop but didnt know if I fixed it . Well I was just out there and inspected each hub found the one I popped back in so I thought but there is a little pin that holds it into the hub and could see it was not in . So I had to unscrew the hub slide the pin and pole back in then try to hold it all mingd you I dont have the room to set it up so doing this from thenone side while shanty almost closed , what a pity, if this is what I have to look forward every time I set up and take down have to worry about loosing the pins once that is gone your screwed till you get replacements as the hub is shot if you lose a pin. Looks like I will be taking a adjustable wrench and some steel stock made into pins incase I lose one.

Offline unclecrash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:28 PM »
For price verses space , I believe I'm going with Eskimo Quickfish 5i . Does anyone here have one of these ? Recommend a good dealer ?  I see most have the 945i . Is it recommended to set these up after your done so they  can dry out ? The most people I should have at any one time would be 3 to 4 . Also could you recommend a sled size or model ? I believe these shelters are 65 inches long in the carry bag . I've never owned a true ice fishing sled . I've just always use one of the kids sleds to get the gear on to the ice , but I'm assuming with more dedicated gear I should get a sled more dedicated to the task . I've read that you guys with these shelters also recommend ratchet straps for the tie down ropes and a portable drill to set the anchors ? The only other thing I can think of is something to place on the ice for floor insulation . Maybe rubber fatigue floor matting ? I already have a propane Buddy heater , so we should be good for heat . Any opinions are greatly appreciated . Thanks.
  Was out in five below zero and all we had was a couple lanterns in mine wasnt bad . We cranked up the mr heater and toasty!! in 30 degree a lantern or two will do or just the mr heater if you want it dark

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:31 PM »
The polar bird is impressive in material and the floor . With the Eskimo , If spring or fall camping , I'll just throw a pop-up canopy over and a 10x12 tarp down for a floor . My childhood fishing buddy is now handicap from a stroke a couple years ago . When I take him ice fishing , I need as much room as possible for lawn chairs and heaters and such . I just have to remember to keep him & my setup close to shore . Last time we ( him with ice cane ) walked 500 yards in 10° temps and transport time took me hours and multiple trips from the truck to setup spot . This is the main reason I'm after a big hub shelter and in the works for a bigger transport sled . Everything has to be a one man job , but big enough for 3-4 people and equipment . Maybe I'm just getting to old for our adventurous spirits ? NAH ..... LOL !

The PB 4T long is a BIG hub.  Just saying.   If it’s the cash layout that’s making you shy away, just say so and the PB fanboys will be out of your hair.  The floor is worth it’s weight in gold.   If you have the coin, the Polar Bird is an awesome shelter.   You are more than welcome to come and see mine in person since you’re only 30-45? Minutes away.   You’re more than welcome to fish as well.   Pm me to make arrangements if your interested.  ;)

DN

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:54 AM »
Dealninja , that's a very generous offer Sir , thank you greatly . I definitely would have taken you up on that offer if just to see your PB Shelter ! I'm one of those people that appreciates good craftsmanship . But , unfortunately I pulled the trigger on a Eskimo Quickfish 5 i this afternoon . I only get one weekend a month working shifts , so I hope it shows up by Thursday or Friday . I'm hoping to take my daughter out for her first experience ice fishing . We fish lake Arthur . If your going out there this coming weekend , I'd really like to see your Polar Bird shelter . I usually go around the 528 bridge area . Muddy Creek or Shannon branch . I guess it will also depend on the ice conditions . If everything works out , please PM me and I'll give you my cell # . Everything I have is red . GMC truck , now ice shelter and probably my face after I lug all my gear out on to the lake .... LOL !

Unclecrash , I definitely agree on the lantern & Buddy heater . I have both . Now with an insulated shelter , it will probably be too warm . But , at least we won't have to worry about bumping into wet frosted up walls . If we use the propane stove , I'll probably have to cook outside the shelter ! LOL !

Tight line to all of you for your replies and advice .

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:40 PM »
So far so good . It arrived about 3:00 . First impressions ? It's heavy . Secondly , I can see how it could be difficult to get back into a bag that only opens at the end . Solution ? I picked up a Christmas tree bag as advised for the present time . I'm going to drop the original Eskimo bag off at the local seamstress . I'll have her put a heavy YKK Zipper down the seam of the bag and have her reinforce the stitching where the handles attach for backpack type carrying . Then I can reuse the original Eskimo bag and it should be much more user friendly . Now I just have to get a bigger sled !  :unsure: :thumbsup:

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:42 AM »
Finally got the Eskimo Quickfish 5 i out on the ice today . I can see why fisherman like these hub shelters . Very easy to setup once on the ice . I followed the directions to the letter . Slight 10 mph breeze so I placed 2 anchors on the windy side . Popped the top .  Much easier to pop the sides if you stand on the snow skirt . After that I placed a couple more ice anchors . I'd say the 5 i is plenty big enough for 3-4 people , but I personally feel it would be tight with 5 . Just to give you an idea how much room is in the 5 i , I'll list all the gear we had inside the shelter . I set up 2 directors lawn chairs , a 3x4 foot table , 48 quart cooler , small lunch cooler that is my portable fish finder package , bait bucket , tackle box and portable Buddy heater . We drill 3 holes to fish from and still had a 4 ft. by 4 ft. area to move around in the center and space behind the chairs . Headroom is fantastic at 80 inches ! Quality seems top notch . Everything looks well thought out and heavy duty .Here's a couple pictures to give you a idea of the size . And remember , this has 5 sides , not just 4 . Packing it back up was the only challenge . I had my daughter sit on it to get the compression strap back on  . Now it's partially erected in the basement drying out with a fan blowing on it . Very happy with the purchase .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.