Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Late season fishing

(1/4) > >>

Brian VT:
Gotta love New England. Fishing in 68 degrees temperature through 16" of ice after work today.  @)

I'm new to Maine.
In VT I only fished with traps and mostly caught pike and a few bass or hornpout.
2 winters in Maine so far (Upper Range).
Last year I got skunked. This year I caught 1 brookie (and lost 1 at the hole). Still mostly fishing with traps.
I finally caught my 1st fish ever on a jigging rod this afternoon (I'm 55 yrs old) . A 14" salmon on a chartreuse Road Runner (that I got from site sponsor MONSTERBASS).
It was a roller! The line was wrapped around it 4 times and it came up the hole tail first.

I'll be sad to see the ice go. I hope you all get a few more good days in before then.

Jim_C.:
Congrats on that 1st jigging trout!  Still no shortage of ice as of this week.  The rain, wind, and fog coming in this weekend may chew it up quite a bit.

Brian VT:
I just looked at Upper Range fish species to see what type of salmon it might have been.
No salmon listed.
I was a very dark colored fish with some dark maroon also. And the top jaw hooked down over the bottom jaw.
Looked like salmon to me.  ???

Fish Wayniac:
You never know a salmon might of got mixed in while stocking. Some of the Browns look similar .

nbourque:

--- Quote from: Brian VT on Mar 18, 2022, 07:48 PM ---I just looked at Upper Range fish species to see what type of salmon it might have been.
No salmon listed.
I was a very dark colored fish with some dark maroon also. And the top jaw hooked down over the bottom jaw.
Looked like salmon to me.  ???

--- End quote ---
More than likely a brown there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version