The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Giving up on PA  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Giving up on PA
« on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Bought new Carharrt  gear and Ice fishing gear for Christmas and I can't wait another month to get on the ice. I'm from Pittsburgh, anyone know of a trip I could take within 6 hrs that I can take to get me on 4+ inches of ice??? Lakes in New York?? Anywhere?
: )

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Giving up on PA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:21 PM »
when you find out let me know. i was going to head to Michigan this weekend but it don't look good up there. my brother by law lives in Fenton and he said its the same weather and problems. Good luck to you, hopefully soon PA will be hardwater.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:56 PM »
ive been going to lakes about 20 miles ne of Binghamton. check out small water Chenango in new York reports.beautiful lakes. long pond balam lake. solid ice but tough fishing. need to be on the  move

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Ok, thank u! I'll check it out

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:37 PM »
i'll also have to check it out. thanks for the info
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:38 PM »
I quit spending money on ice fishing gear 3 years ago.  I also stopped making my annual trip to PA during (what used to be) ice fishing season.

I can't justify spending my limited outdoors $$$ on gear I MIGHT get to use a day or two a year.  I now make my trip for the entire month of May instead of spliting it into two weeks in Jan-Feb & 2 in May.  My money gets spent on fly fishing trips now.

Yes, I miss ice fishing.  But there comes a time when you've got to admit that your job at the buggy whip factory ain't coming back and it's time to move on.

Whether you chalk it up to man-made causes or strictly to Mother Nature you've got to admit, the climate in PA has changed.  And not for the better for icefishermen...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Whether you chalk it up to man-made causes or strictly to Mother Nature you've got to admit, the climate in PA has changed.  And not for the better for icefishermen...

Unfortunately, you might be right.  It definitely seems like we get more warm ups and more heavy rains in the winters now.  Wish I hadn't put my boat away before Christmas.  Haha.

I've still got my fingers crossed for hopefully getting a few weeks or maybe a month of ice!  It looks like after today we're supposed to start getting colder here in the center part of the state.  Hopefully we're on the ice next week sometime and it hangs around. 
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Fourth lake.
Raquette Lake.
Schroon lake.
Tupper lake..
Cranberry lake..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!  Unfortunately these are all 6+ hours away from me.  Too far for my wallet.  haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:44 AM »
10 days of solid ice making weather at Mt. Pocono, starting tomorrow. Two hour drive for me but hoping I'll be out by the weekend or soon after.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:19 PM »
I quit spending money on ice fishing gear 3 years ago.  I also stopped making my annual trip to PA during (what used to be) ice fishing season.

I can't justify spending my limited outdoors $$$ on gear I MIGHT get to use a day or two a year.  I now make my trip for the entire month of May instead of spliting it into two weeks in Jan-Feb & 2 in May.  My money gets spent on fly fishing trips now.

Yes, I miss ice fishing.  But there comes a time when you've got to admit that your job at the buggy whip factory ain't coming back and it's time to move on.

Well, I don’t give up that easy! Been out 3 times so far. Had to drive over an hr North Sunday to find safe ice, but did.

Last year when guys were complaining about the warmup in Feb and all but gave up, I got back out on the ice for a couple weeks in March. I got out over a dozen times last year, even though it was not a great season.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Fifty years ago in late Jan there was 20 - 24 inches of ice on Glendale.  I don't believe that's ever the case anymore.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Raystown ever freezes over.

I hope you get out a lot, catch a truck load and stay safe.  Like I said, I miss it.  I'm down to reading a forum to get my "fix"...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Thanks Uncle Shorty. I’m just stubborn! I’ve been known to go to extremes just to get out on the ice for a day!  ;) I’d still ice-fish even if we only had a couple days of safe ice per year!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline keith hess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:26 PM »
I hope we get so ice in the poconos by the weekend or early next week. Saw the weather forecast up till then they want a lot of wind hard for the lakes to set up.

Offline keith hess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:29 PM »
I hope we get so ice in the poconos by the weekend or early next week. Saw the weather forecast up till then they want a lot of wind hard for the lakes to set up.

Offline Clearfieldbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Fifty years ago in late Jan there was 20 - 24 inches of ice on Glendale.  I don't believe that's ever the case anymore.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Raystown ever freezes over.

I hope you get out a lot, catch a truck load and stay safe.  Like I said, I miss it.  I'm down to reading a forum to get my "fix"...

Uncleshorty,I hard watered fished Raytown on the main part back in the mid 80's trying for stripers and lake trout. Pretty hairy out there, it was plenty thick, just different.

Offline cabst119

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:05 PM »
I fished on hard water into late March  3 years in a row 2013-2015 and I think I even made April once in that span, all on state park lakes. No way climate changed drastically enough in 4 years since to permanently ruin ice fishing in PA.  We’ve had a few bad years in a row...but it will come back.  By the way 2012 was a horrible year, most lakes never saw an ice fisherman that season, then Bam, 3 banner years in a row.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:33 PM »
when you find out let me know. i was going to head to Michigan this weekend but it don't look good up there. my brother by law lives in Fenton and he said its the same weather and problems. Good luck to you, hopefully soon PA will be hardwater.
.          About a hour north of Grand Rapids Michigan they have 4-8” I hear from a buddy

Offline YukonClam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:01 AM »
Hang in there friend's.  This weather should make inch a day on most lakes.  Next week!  Jigging and Grinning. ICE ICE BABY!
If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Zane Grey

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:21 AM »
I like your attitude YukonClam ! ! ! Winter has finally arrived in Pennsylvania ! Drill baby Drill ! :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:50 AM »
Weather starts looking very promising. Hoping to get out in a few days.

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Anyone know of any ponds in the area that freeze over fast? Would like to fish some good ponds as well as Arthur

Offline Scission913

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:43 AM »
After I filled my buck tag this year I started early prepping for ICE.  That cold snap in early December had me drooling.  The came the warm air and rain.  At this point it looks like there is a good chance I will get on ice this weekend.  Finally!

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:06 AM »
I hear ya ! It's been a long wait . I just hope no one rushes on without checking the thickness .

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:09 AM »
I hear ya ! It's been a long wait . I just hope no one rushes on without checking the thickness .
its not the rushin on that gets you its when you stop :o :o :o
gets you wet
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Low temp of -3 sunday night. I'm thining i better take a few days off work next week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.