The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: UPDATE FROM IFW 8/28 No Live-Fish Rule in Northern Region  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
IFW Response by Bio Greg Burr regarding "No live-Fish rule in Northern Region approved by state.”  Next, I’ll request a copy of the newly adopted rules to to post here.

"Hi Joe,

Thank you for your e-mail.  The new fishing regs proposals in the northern zone that will become law starting January 1st, 2020 has many exceptions that allow most of all of the traditional ice fishing waters to still be fished with live bait.  If anglers have questions or concerns about specific waters they should contact the Augusta office at 287-5022.

Good luck this deer season!

Greg
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Talked to IFW Joe Overlock this morning.

He’s going to email me when they are sending out a publication defining the new rule(s). Will be soon.

He was very clear that there are no substantial changes other than how the waters and rules are listed and defined. Where S-codes once defined no live fish waters, they will now define live fish allowed waters.

He said there are essentially NO changes to historically live fish as bait waters, but it sounded like some streams could be effected. Even many ice fishing prohibited waters would still allow live bait during open water.

As soon as I know when IFW will be publicizing the article and new rules, I’ll post them here.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: UPDATE FROM IFW 8/28 No Live-Fish Rule in Northern Region
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2019, 12:44 AM »
I have the full list of water including lakes, ponds, river and streams as well. I’ll forward those later.

From IFW Joe Overlock:

Hi Joe,

Thanks again for reaching out with your questions on the recent rule change.  As I mentioned we will be sharing some information on our webpage and on Facebook soon, but in the meantime attached are the lists of waters that will retain the use of live baitfish and smelts.

Also, here are few highlights of the rule change:

This rule passed through the final step of the advisory council last week (public comment period closed on June 27th) and will go into effect on January 1, 2020 (you will see it in the next law book).
The introduction of competing fish species is one threat that has contributed to range-wide population declines of brook trout in the Eastern United States.
Waters currently open to ice fishing and the use of live fish as bait will remain open and be assigned a special regulation (S-11) that will allow use of live fish as bait.  Live fish as bait will continue to be allowed on those same waters during the open water fishing season.  Some additional waters with a tradition of fishing with live baitfish during the open water fishing season will also retain opportunities for the use of live fish as bait.
The rule limits the use of live baitfish in the Northern Region (Franklin, Somerset, Piscataquis, Aroostook, and northern portions of Oxford and Penobscot Counties) to reduce the chance of introductions of baitfish and other fish in the vast majority of flowing waters, dead-waters, small ponds, as well as tributaries of State Heritage Fish Waters.
The goal of this strategy is to develop a balanced approach to enhance protections for native fish while minimizing unintended adverse impacts to anglers, baitfish harvesters, and the fishing law book.
Does not reduce use of dead baitfish and worms, only the use of live baitfish.
This effort does not change the list of waters open to the commercial harvest of bait or smelt.
In total 339 waters will retain the use of live fish as bait

I know most folks have been concerned that they would no longer be able to use live fish as bait while ice fishing.  To reiterate (and hopefully put minds at ease) all waters currently open to ice fishing with the use of live fish as bait will remain that way.

Thanks,

-Joe-

Joe Overlock
Fisheries Management Supervisor
Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
Fisheries Division
284 State St, SHS 41
Augusta ME 04333
(207) 287-5022

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2019, 05:28 AM »
Not sure how to post the lists here.

FYI New Live Bait Rules For Northern Maine. Info.

If you would like a list of waters, PM me with your email address and I will forward the email from IFW to you: I have the full lists of waters not changed, including lakes, ponds, river and streams.

The lists are quite extensive!

Offline HeadedTaCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Hey there clamfarmer, would you please send me a copy of the list.  Its hard to believe that its less than a month away and the 2020 law books aren't out yet.  I'm curious about how this change will effect us up here in the County.  Thanks in advance.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Hey there clamfarmer, would you please send me a copy of the list.  Its hard to believe that its less than a month away and the 2020 law books aren't out yet.  I'm curious about how this change will effect us up here in the County.  Thanks in advance.

They say it wont change or let's just say the obvious it wont change immediately but over time I feel it will be implemented on more and more bodys of water. The lesser know first and work towards the more pressured waters later....or once they have data to back up the agenda

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:23 AM »
They say it wont change or let's just say the obvious it wont change immediately but over time I feel it will be implemented on more and more bodys of water. The lesser know first and work towards the more pressured waters later....or once they have data to back up the agenda

Hey RC. IFW tells me the is and will be no change to waters where live bait has been allowed. I’m told there were enforcement issues with some of the previous role wording. NOTHING has been “implemented" to change live bait usage in any water that previously allowed it.

HTC, I emailed back and forth  with Downeast Biologist, Greg Burr on this subject. He said the book and online publications will be up this month. Didn’t give a date. I’m calling IFW right now to see if there is a date certain. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Just called them 8:20 12/4/2019. No defined date. Will be on line sooner than the book comes out.

I’ll be speaking with the IFW folks about fears such as The Rusty Crab voices. It is my understating form a months ago conversation with IFW Joe Overlock, there are no plans to change status of current and past live bait use in waters historically allowing live bait use. I’m probably fishing with one of the Bio’s first part of the season. In any case, I’ll get the best first hand info possible. Not as if anyone is obliged to believe anything beyond what they like to believe. hehehe  ;D ::) :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:23 PM »
Here’s the email I received from Joe Overlock back in August defining the general scope of the pending rules. I also have the lists lakes and streams which several have asked me to forward them. I any wish, I will forward you this full email that includes, attached, the lists of waters retaining the use of live bait. PM me your email here should you wish to receive the list sent to me by IFW

"Hi Joe,

Thanks again for reaching out with your questions on the recent rule change.  As I mentioned we will be sharing some information on our webpage and on Facebook soon, but in the meantime attached are the lists of waters that will retain the use of live baitfish and smelts.

Also, here are few highlights of the rule change:

This rule passed through the final step of the advisory council last week (public comment period closed on June 27th) and will go into effect on January 1, 2020 (you will see it in the next law book).
The introduction of competing fish species is one threat that has contributed to range-wide population declines of brook trout in the Eastern United States.
Waters currently open to ice fishing and the use of live fish as bait will remain open and be assigned a special regulation (S-11) that will allow use of live fish as bait.  Live fish as bait will continue to be allowed on those same waters during the open water fishing season.  Some additional waters with a tradition of fishing with live baitfish during the open water fishing season will also retain opportunities for the use of live fish as bait.
The rule limits the use of live baitfish in the Northern Region (Franklin, Somerset, Piscataquis, Aroostook, and northern portions of Oxford and Penobscot Counties) to reduce the chance of introductions of baitfish and other fish in the vast majority of flowing waters, dead-waters, small ponds, as well as tributaries of State Heritage Fish Waters.
The goal of this strategy is to develop a balanced approach to enhance protections for native fish while minimizing unintended adverse impacts to anglers, baitfish harvesters, and the fishing law book.
Does not reduce use of dead baitfish and worms, only the use of live baitfish.
This effort does not change the list of waters open to the commercial harvest of bait or smelt.
In total 339 waters will retain the use of live fish as bait

I know most folks have been concerned that they would no longer be able to use live fish as bait while ice fishing.  To reiterate (and hopefully put minds at ease) all waters currently open to ice fishing with the use of live fish as bait will remain that way.

Thanks,

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:54 PM »
So what's the agenda? Could they not provide an example of a body of water that may see this new s11 code? Most all heritage trout waters up here are already closed to ice fishing.  North region has been this way.... I just dont see the need so their has to be a underlying agenda. Like I said start with waters that get little to no pressure so they have the support system in place. Ask about how well they managed smelt around here....forget minnows thsts a new can of worms

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:19 PM »
So what's the agenda? Could they not provide an example of a body of water that may see this new s11 code? Most all heritage trout waters up here are already closed to ice fishing.  North region has been this way.... I just dont see the need so their has to be a underlying agenda. Like I said start with waters that get little to no pressure so they have the support system in place. Ask about how well they managed smelt around here....forget minnows thsts a new can of worms

Your funny!

There is a list of examples that will get the S-11 code. Like the emails says "In total 339 waters will retain the use of live fish as bait”

If you want the list, just pm me your email! They are LONG lists!

It appears to me the “agenda” is clarification and again, as the email states IFW's own defining agenda: "The goal of this strategy is to develop a balanced approach to enhance protections for native fish while minimizing unintended adverse impacts to anglers, baitfish harvesters, and the fishing law book. “

Is it the questions or the answers that you are having trouble with. hehe   ;) :icefish:

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:47 AM »
So I'll ask a question......what waters will be affected by these changes? 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:16 PM »
So I'll ask a question......what waters will be affected by these changes?

Talk to IFW. It appears to me, only having received an email and having a couple conversations with IFW folks, it’s mostly a rewriting of the rules without ANY effect on waters where live bait is and has been traditionally used.

I sent you, Rusty,  the list of waters which also includes the original email from IFW’s Joe Overlock. I suggest you go to the source for a better take on this issue. I don't  understand why some folks just don’t ask IFW. I just got info and shared it. YOU can peruse info the same way.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Thanks I will follow up with them.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2019, 09:38 AM »
structuring the laws the way they have makes me wonder also why they needed to do that. it was fine the way it was. they said at the meeting last year that it was done to make it more simple to understand the regs. but that was already the case the way it was before.
 now it seems it would make it much easier in the future to ban live bait the way its structured .  the purists have been trying to ban live bait for a long time and there is evidence behind the benefits of banning it to prevent illegal introductions. look at the white perch found in the FRC lately. surely they came here in a bait pail. also the diseases that can be carried by bait from different areas. i think this is a step towards gradually banning live bait. i hope I'm wrong. time will tell.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:20 AM »
My take on the whole thing is that they wanted to change the General law to No Live Bait to force people to look in the book for the exception allowing it. The other way people might have mistakenly been using bait on bodies of water it was not allowed if they didn't take the time to look it up.

I also think the Press Release was intentionally written for the shock factor that, OMG, the state is banning the use of bait for ice fishing. Once you dig deeper you see this isn't true........YET

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:54 AM »
i agree. YET is the key word. i see that press release as a test to see what kind of reaction they would get. I'm hoping they got the drift that most everyone likes fishing with live bait. it would weed out the lazy fishermen and the size/ quality of fish would get better but then they would lose a lot of license sales also. can't have that. big government needs big money. got to feed the monster.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.