The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Has any one used the K-drill and Pistol bit and have a preference?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline CAP207

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for a new auger bit.

Has any one used the K-drill and Pistol bit and have a preference?
Born to fish, forced to work!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
I haven't but with the research I have done I'm thinking  Eskimo pistol bit or strike masters new lite flite.  would both be good choices . 

The k-drill is only 7 1/2 inches and I have read people having trouble with slush layers in thick ice stopping the k drill .the heavy slush layers stopping a k-drill may be a cordless drill vs gas powered issue more then the k-drill .

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
I have last years Pistol bit. I had 2 minor complaints with it. On glare Ice you had to be careful that it didn't walk on you because there is no center point. The other issue is that they didnt give you much room to tighten the drill chuck. The big disc on top that prevents it from falling to the bottom of the lake gets in the way of tightening the chuck real good.

Thankfully, Eskimo has addressed both issues for this year with a centering point and an extended shaft to make tightening the chuck easier.

Other than that, I loved it. Cuts ice like no tomorrow.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Love my 8" K-Drill ...but I would have considered the Pistol Bit had it been available two years or so ago ..it comes down to the pros and cons ..which can be found on the NUMEROUS threads and posts on IceShany via the SEARCH function. All is moot if you try to put either on a picture hanging drill with under powered batteries . Take some time and use the search function ..lots and lots of recent activity ..with some videos

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
I haven't used either the KDrill of Pistol Bit.

I used an 8" Nils for 4 years. 3 by hand, 1 with my Ridgid Octane. Probably the most universal hand auger, and is nasty on a drill. But they are the heaviest drill augers, and the replacements heads are 120+ for the 8", and have to be sent out to be sharpened.

I just picked the 8" StrikeMaster Lite Flite, and its a beast. Definitely going to bench the Nils for my drill applications. It has a centering point, and is 5.3 lbs for the 8". I like that its a little taller than the KDrill, which is around 38".

Something to keep in mind with the KDrill is, they use more battery, and can kick on your drills protection mode faster than the shaver style blades (if your drilling several holes in a short amount of time.) Definitely a good option, with several Pros, like being able to open old holes, and use in dirty ice. They also have free blade sharpening.

Good luck. All will drill a nice hole.

Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
I haven't but with the research I have done I'm thinking  Eskimo pistol bit or strike masters new lite flite.  would both be good choices . 

The k-drill is only 7 1/2 inches and I have read people having trouble with slush layers in thick ice stopping the k drill .the heavy slush layers stopping a k-drill may be a cordless drill vs gas powered issue more then the k-drill .

My nero got jammed up once last year in some nasty slush with 2ft of ice, k-drill was fine though. I think with any drill setup its a good idea to clear some slush halfway down in those kind of conditions.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
I also have read some stories of broken flights on k-drills. From my understanding all 3 of them have some sort of plastic flights so I'm not sure who's is most durable ,but it should be considered. With the k-drill the flights are replaceable in sections I'm not sure about the others .

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
I also have read some stories of broken flights on k-drills. From my understanding all 3 of them have some sort of plastic flights so I'm not sure who's is most durable ,but it should be considered. With the k-drill the flights are replaceable in sections I'm not sure about the others .
They all do have a flexible composite material for their flights. My Lite Flite has removable, replaceable flights. Ive thought about removing the last one, and save it as a backup, just Incase one breaks.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline JTRCNC

• IceShanty Rookie
They all do have a flexible composite material for their flights. My Lite Flite has removable, replaceable flights. Ive thought about removing the last one, and save it as a backup, just Incase one breaks.

That's a good idea Pike. I just got my Lite-Flite yesterday.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict

They seem strong to me, have towed em behind a snowmobile in a jet sled a good amount, and it lives in the back of my truck all winter, I've had it for 4years. There was a picture of one last year with all the flights stripped off, no clue how it could happen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.