Author Topic: Late ice crappies  (Read 6248 times)

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
Late ice crappies
« on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:35 AM »
i fish a small lake by the alexndria area.  I am out there almost everyday and found the crappies a few days ago in  25 ft or more and they were suspended 3 to 5 ft or more.  I put everything in front of them i possibly could and still was unsuccessful.  I went to that spot for three days and now they moved on me where could they have gone?  I drilled over 1000 holes on that lake in the past week and still am unable to find the fish anywhere.  What am I doing wrong or passing up?  Where could they have moved to?  How can I get them to bite if I do find them again? 

Offline frosty

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Late ice crappies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Are you near any areas where they go for spawning? If there are any drops from weedy areas leading into that deeper water work the drop points.They will hold in an area for awhile but then move out. Try first thing in the morning or last 2 hours before dark and into dark.  Pay close attention specially if you have a vex. You will see one or a few move in then at a certain time you will start to see schools move through. The schools may be small or good size but that is when you want to work them. Work them fast. catch one and quickly get your line back in the hole. With a vex keep your bait at the general depth they are moving through. They will see your bait. Hope this helps.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2008, 10:54 AM »
i have a lowrance flasher and when i pick up a school they dont bite i can put anything in front of them and nothing happens.......    the deepest point in the lake is 32 ft....  this winter the crappies moved on us three times and now i cant find them anywhere again.....    the lake has an inlet that only runs in the spring and a dam on one side that flows a little bit year round...  i have been on weed edges, flats, holes, rocks, sand, shallow, deep, and still no crappies anywhere i look..... i keep reading that this time of year the crappies move to the north end of the lake because it warms up the fastest.......i am unable to find them darn slabers anywhere and that lake has some real nice ones.... i more than one outta there this year over 15 inches..... like i said the lake is quite small but has a lot of fish in it as well as a lot of structure........there are a lot of different points and bars on this lake as well......you can look at a topo map of grove lake on the mn dnr website just go to lake finder and type in grove lake and pope county then you yourself can take a look at the lake and maybe that will give you some ideas on where them slabs may be

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:03 AM »
next year try placing some structure..Old christmas trees with a concrete block works well..They will gather near it..

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:10 AM »
isn't putting structure in the lake illegal?????  i have heard putting Christmas trees do help and straw bales work too but i am a little nervous about doing that since the lake is surrounded by houses and there are always people looking out there wondering whats going on you know.......around here everyone has to know what goes on

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:21 AM »
I never heard that it was illegal..But I guess I should research that :o 

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:25 AM »
let me know what you come up with i am curious to know if it is illegal or not.....if not well our back woods better look out cuz we got a lot of pine trees around here

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Im pretty sure its illegal , It is here in Michigan .......

Anyways , they could be out in the middle of nowhere just suspending , or right under the ice.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2008, 01:27 PM »
I have heard X-mass trees work for a while, then they start rotting and release chemicals that fish, especially crappie, hate.  Did you try using perch minnows for bait?  I have heard of ppl dropping pallets into the lake, talk to your DNR first.

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2008, 01:30 PM »
Some company makes a think that looks like a big 3d star that you put in the water as structure..ever see that advertise?

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2008, 01:50 PM »
i havent ever heard of that it seems like it may work but i have seen what they call reel weeds that go on your camera cable or they make one that you can put in a different hole next to yours and make yourself a weed structure...........

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2008, 02:53 PM »
Pine trees are no good. I have heard of people making cover out of pvc pipe. Wont rot or tangle lines. May cost a bit however, if you are going to make structure for your special place should be worth it. IMO.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2008, 02:57 PM »
thats a real good idea i never thought about putting something together with pvc pipe that would work real nice thanks for the idea........are you sure that isnt illegal like xmas trees and other strategically placed items i.e. boat motors, rock piles, tree branches, anything of that nature

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2008, 04:56 PM »
thats a real good idea i never thought about putting something together with pvc pipe that would work real nice thanks for the idea........are you sure that isnt illegal like xmas trees and other strategically placed items i.e. boat motors, rock piles, tree branches, anything of that nature

I have seen commercials for bill dance fish attractor called a porcupine. Basically a big star of pvc pipe.  I bet dropping rocks all along te bottom and wall of a drop will bring in all types of fish and creatures like crawdads

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.