The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 8 inch lazer on a DeWalt drill  (Read 1662 times)

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
8 inch lazer on a DeWalt drill
« on: Nov 05, 2019, 06:44 AM »
  I currently use a 6 inch lazer on a clam plate with a Dewalt drill. I'd like to have a bigger hole, but until the ice gets really thick, don't like dragging around my gas auger. I normally drill probably 20-30 holes at the most. If I went to a 7 or 8 inch lazer, would I lose a lot of drilling power? I normally carry 2 4 amp batteries, and seldom need the second one.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 8 inch lazer on a DeWalt drill
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2019, 06:52 AM »
It depends on if your drill has enough torque to turn an 8” auger. 750bs of torque is the minimum for 8”. Also, keep in mind that an 8” hole is twice the volume of a 6” hole so  20-30 holes instantly drops to 10-15 holes. Math can be a Richard sometimes.

I use a M18 fuel with a 5ah battery with an 8” Lazer. I get 30 holes in ~18” of ice. I like an 8” hole so I just upgraded to a 12ah battery. If your drill can handle an 8” bit, I’d highly consider upgrading to a larger battery.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:53 AM »
whats the model number of your drill? i can look up the out put for you.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:26 AM »
 I believe it's a 996, but I'll have to check for sure when I get home.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:32 AM »
I ran a DeWalt 996B with an 8 inch up at Winnipeg in March and it cut through 50 inches of ice.  I have been told that it can be hard on the drill if you just drill hole after hole with an 8 inch using a drill but I just try to go easy with the drill and not over exert it.  Mainly I just don't drill a lot of holes in a row with it to try and not overheat the thing.

Seems to be working well thus far.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:53 AM »
if it is the 996 here are the specs.
https://products.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DCD996P2/

95nm is 840+ inch pound.  https://www.fuelunitconversion.com/95-nm-to-lbft/

seems as if the uwo is about the same as inch pounds. being we want approximately one hundred inch pounds per inch of ice auger, it should spin the lazer fine. wet heavy ice will slow it down some and yield less holes per charge. just lift some while cutting to take some load off and listen to the motor work. also lift at break thru to shave less ice so it can make a clean cut hole and not pull you down to the ice. the plate adds 5 pounds to the blades.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2019, 06:10 PM »
My drill is a 995. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2019, 09:59 PM »
650 unit watts out (UWO)
so it is about 660 inch pounds. will be hard turning the 8 inch lazer if it can turn it for any amount of time. it may work just ok on the 7 inch lazer.

if you already have every thing, then nothing to loose trying, just don't let it get to hot. black friday sales are around the corner if you need to turn the 8 inch lazer and care to upgrade the drill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.