The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Cordless drill auger  (Read 4853 times)

Offline nino61881

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cordless drill auger
« on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:37 PM »
What do you guys use for a drill/ battery size? Im currently using a dewalt 18v with a 6" strikemaster mora. I'm looking to purchase a brushless drill.

Offline tspace

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cordless drill auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:54 PM »
i use a ryobi hammer drill with 8". last saturday i drilled 24 holes and still had lots of juice that was 7"- 8 " of ice

Offline gmuddle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:06 PM »
    I've run a 18 volt Hitachi cordless for the past 3 years attached to a Clam plate with 7" Mora .  Drilled 20+ holes in 10" of ice Sunday with plenty of drilling left. You need at least 4 amp hour batteries and  shouldn't use the hammer drill setting.  The newer Clam plates don't require that you remove the Chuck from the cordless drill.

Offline tspace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:29 PM »
i agree on the battery and i dont use the hammer drill that is just the model i own

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:04 PM »
I use milwaukee fuel m18...18v. Just make sure you have high torque on low speed. I use it with clam plate and works incredibly great....lots of holes...after day of drilling 10+ holes I can use it next time with still full charge

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Bought the RIDGE 18 volt octane drill. Have it with an 8 inch fin bore. It is an absolute beast. Better then any gas auger I’ve seen

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:38 PM »
post a vid

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:57 AM »
I use a Milwaukee fuel brushless with the 9ah battery and a 8in k-drill I fished Saturday in 12° with a high of 22° and drilled 24 holes in 8in of ice still had full charge I also never keep my battery warm  I just leave it attached to the drill in my sled will only bring in the drill if its raining out
Go big or go home

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Drill Brush less w/700 in/Lbs or greater...Battery 4 ah or better ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline steinea286

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:07 AM »
I have a Ridgid Drill which also comes with a lifetime warranty. I can drill 30-40 holes on ONE 1.5 amp battery when its below 25 degrees (7" hole) and I will carry two batteries with me. The lifetime warranty sold me on the drill and don't know why I didn't pull the trigger on a drill earlier. not to mention its lightweight for long walks!

Offline smj8322

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Glad to see the rigid with 1.5 ah batteries will at least get me a few holes.  I just ordered a clam plate yesterday and will be using a 6" strikemaster mora.  Hoping I don't have to spring for the bigger battery.   Would still beat lugging my gas auger out though I suppose..

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Could I ask a follow-up to those with a Rigid/clamplate setup?  I tested my new setup on Saturday and the drill would start cutting ice and then suddenly stop like the trigger had been released even though it hadn't.  What specific settings to you have on you drill for it to work every time?  thanks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:10 AM »
Could I ask a follow-up to those with a Rigid/clamplate setup?  I tested my new setup on Saturday and the drill would start cutting ice and then suddenly stop like the trigger had been released even though it hadn't.  What specific settings to you have on you drill for it to work every time?  thanks.

Read this thread...https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=362620.0;topicseen

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=362620.msg3931455;topicseen#msg3931455
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dog4up7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:11 AM »
My question is I have a Mil. Fuel 1/2 drive impact it has tons of torque and pretty slow rev.. This is for taking bolts off. Could I put a socket on the auger and do you think it would work ??? I don't think it would even hammer and impact so long as it cut smooth. Any thoughts.

luv2fish2

« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:58 AM »
it gets its torque from impact so when it starts to turn hard it'll use the hammer function and prolly toast the blades

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:53 AM »
I jumped on the rigid battery deal (I think it’s still running) got the octane and a 9ah battery, running a mini Nero 7”. Punched two holes through about 9” of ice last week in 10 seconds!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:48 PM »
it gets its torque from impact so when it starts to turn hard it'll use the hammer function and prolly toast the blades
.    X2

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:56 PM »
I am using a ryobi brushless 18v and 6" lazer on a clam plate. More than enough power and speed, but next year i will have a milwaukee fuel.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:58 PM »
i use a ryobi hammer drill with 8". last saturday i drilled 24 holes and still had lots of juice that was 7"- 8 " of ice

Does it slow down at all when drilling? I'm thinking about getting some 7" blades for my old 8" mora and trying that on mine. 6" lazer does not slow down at all.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:03 PM »
I use a Milwaukee fuel with a 9ah battery and 2 5ah’s for back up.  Clam drill plate with a 7” strike master lazer and I’d like to upgrade to an 8” cause I know the Milwaukee can turn it no problem

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:25 AM »
I use a Milwaukee fuel with a 9ah battery and 2 5ah’s for back up.  Clam drill plate with a 7” strike master lazer and I’d like to upgrade to an 8” cause I know the Milwaukee can turn it no problem

I have the same setup and use one 5ah battery with an 8” Lazer. Awesome setup for ice up to around 20”. How much of a performance difference is there between the 9ah and the 5ah? I’ve been thinking about getting a 9ah.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:03 AM »
Picked up a Milwaukee Fuel high torque at the home depot this past summer with Sawzall, impact tool and drill with two 5.0mah batteries and a bonus 9.0mah battery, with carrying case on wheels. With the military discount, it was all under 500 bucks. I attached the drill to the  8" K-drill and am happy so far with it. No more dragging my Ice King (had it since the '70s) around with 10" auger weighing over 42lbs...   :o :o

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:37 AM »
I have the ridgid Octane 1300 in lb, 9ah battery love it. Got the deal HD is running. Run an 8” Nils and got 136 holes on one charge. 25” of ice in 10 seconds. Here’s a few of my review videos if your interested in watching them.

Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Milwaukee Fuel with a Clam plate or Ridgid Octane with just the extension handle. I have both and they both perform better than any gasser I've owned (3) and almost as fast as

the legendary IceGator, now in retirement. Just plain  beasts. This year I'm spinning a 7" Nero auger unit and it exceeds all expectations also.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:06 PM »
I have the same setup and use one 5ah battery with an 8” Lazer. Awesome setup for ice up to around 20”. How much of a performance difference is there between the 9ah and the 5ah? I’ve been thinking about getting a 9ah.

It’s quite a difference, nearly twice the ah’s

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I use a Dewalt 20V brushless drill with 4 AH batteries. Took the drill chuck off and had a machined 16" stainless extension made that accommodates a finbore auger using the same threaded thumbscrew that connects to the handle and the adapter reverse screws into the threaded chuck spindle. I can cut 75 or more holes easily through 16" of ice on a single battery and don't keep it warm. This set up is so lite and has no wobble. The handle on the Dewalt is very rugged and is needed since the drill has a ton of torque. Trust me this is the best way to go

Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:20 PM »
+1 for the dewalt 20v brushless. Used this on a Eskimo 7” hand auger with the ht extension/drill adapter. Drilled 19 holes through 12 inches of ice and still had full battery on a 5ah. The drill handle is a must as this combo has a lot of torque.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:29 PM »
I have a Ridgid with 2--1/1/2 A-hr batts.  My drill stalled out a couple of times on each hole last week. I switched to a newly sharpened set and it went thru the ice so fast it was scary!. I have found that, so far, those 2 batts will give me all the holes I want. "Your results may vary"  ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Tom1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2019, 10:25 AM »
The Rigid octane with 9ah batteries seems like it would be hard to beat.  And a lifetime warranty on drill, batteries, charger, etc if you buy at Home Depot and register it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.