The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Auger Recommendations  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Red Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
Hand Auger Recommendations
« on: Dec 02, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you out there know of a hand auger that deserves recognition.  I have a Mora and it works alright, but if someone has a strong recommendation I would appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks.

-Red Beard

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Hand Auger Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2004, 04:46 PM »
I have had a mora for years now. Just repalce the blades every two years and your good to go. :)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:05 PM »
Jiffy gas auger

Offline lebruce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:11 PM »
The LAZER is a so much better hand auger then the blue mora.For about every 4 cranks to a mora it's only 1 with a lazer. The lazer also works great for opening old holes,if you do this with a mora blades are done.The blades on a lazer will stay sharper about 4 times longer then blades on a blue mora.When I used to use a mora,I would only drill 20 holes max in a day (to poop to do anymore).When I got a lazer I would drill anywhere from 20-60 holes a day and still can drill more if needed.I have bad elbows now (had surgery on them) so I only use my hand auger first ice till it gets 6",then I'll use my eltra-lazer power auger.

P Gottshall

« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2004, 11:24 PM »
Nils Master.  I like my hand auger so much I just spent the bucks on a powered Nils.

Paul

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2004, 03:18 PM »
No question about it - the NilsMaster is the best by far. Check out the NilsMaster thread below.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:02 AM »
:)   last season was my first  icefishing .Borrowed a Mora auger think it was 6 inch .Took 10 minutes to drill 1 hole through 10 inches of ice .. i was ready to quit. Next trip i put on brand new blades ... wasn't much better it really sucked .Stopped by the local bait shop on the way home  too sell my new equipment .Talked about it with the shop owner.He convinced me to go back out with a lazer 7 inch  money back guaranteed if it wasn't good enough .. lets just say i still have it and  have cut through almost 20 inches of ice faster than i ever could 10 inches of ice .Hands down the Lazer  over a Mora ... i don't know about the Nil's or other augers.I have out drilled my buddies jiffy gas auger.. lol he cant keep his fingers off the choke ... floods it all the time . ;D
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2004, 10:54 PM »
I have a mora   my buddy has a lazer   last year ran out of gas for jiffy   I used his Lazer once and mora went to garage sale  this year we both have Lazers for when the Jiffy runs out of gas.  Why is it we remember to pack a spare hand auger but forget the gas can? ;D
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2004, 11:46 PM »
The LAZER is a so much better hand auger then the blue mora.For about every 4 cranks to a mora it's only 1 with a lazer. The lazer also works great for opening old holes,if you do this with a mora blades are done.The blades on a lazer will stay sharper about 4 times longer then blades on a blue mora.When I used to use a mora,I would only drill 20 holes max in a day (to poop to do anymore).When I got a lazer I would drill anywhere from 20-60 holes a day and still can drill more if needed.I have bad elbows now (had surgery on them) so I only use my hand auger first ice till it gets 6",then I'll use my eltra-lazer power auger.

This is so very true.  I also used to have a Blue Mora and it didn't matter what blades I had on there, it was difficult to cut holes and tiring.  I bought the Lazer and still use it with the same blades that were originally on it and cuts well, 7 years later.  Well, now I bought new blades for this year, but will keep the old ones as spares just in case because frankly, they are still pretty good.  I've also tried the Nils, pretty darned fast and easy also, about the same IMO as the Lazer though.  Flip a coin.  I found that it was tough at first to get used to using the Nils because the motion is a bit different than what I was used to, but after a few holes I got used to it.  Either way, both are good and a heck of a lot better than the Blue Mora.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:02 AM »
Nils Master!!!! I had a guy with a brand new Lazer try to buy my Nils for more than I paid for it after he drilled just one hole.
Pete Lewis

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2004, 07:38 AM »
Nils Master - is the best however I only have a Laser now. I did have a Mora it's okay if that's all you can find but I hope to never go back to one!

I just got Power this year and can't wait to give the Strike Master a try... Good Luck!

Mole!   :tipup:
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:45 AM »
I started out with a mora,I thought it was great,then I got a lazer,much better! I gave the mora to buddy who didn't have an auger. Then I got a Nils Master it made the lazer like trying to punch a hole in the ice with a dull stick. You will pay more for the Nils but the first time you drill through more than a foot of ice you will think,ahh best ice fishing investment I ever made!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2004, 10:07 AM »
FishDaddy09:

I must Agree! :D

If I ever buy another Hand Auger it will be a Nils! :tipup: ;D
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2004, 01:58 PM »
Nils here too.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Red Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2004, 11:48 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I am going to go with a nils.  Does anyone know where I can buy one?  I'll buy online if I have the opportunity.  If anyone knows of a good place to purchase one please post it and let me know.  Thanks again.

-Red Beard

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2004, 05:57 AM »
Red Bird, Cabela's sells them as "high velocity augers". You won't regret payng a little more.
Pete Lewis

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2004, 06:44 AM »
I believe the guy that I got my Nils from was someone I saw here. I think his name was Tony on Ice. I remember he beat everyones price and sent it right away,..BTW I can't think of using any other hand auger now.  I've had a number of guys come over to see how I'm drilling so easily. Unless the other guys have changed their designs I think it beats anything out there. One caution the blades are VERY shape. Knowing this I did cut myself last year.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2004, 08:57 AM »
Hello all,

It's been a very long time since I've posted, however I've still been hanging around reading the posts & viewing the awesome pictures on a regular basis :)

I'm sure no one remembers - however I made a few posts last winter about getting into ice fishing.  Been software fishing most of my natural life, however last year was the first for ice.  I consider myself a novice @ it, however I plan on getting out as much as I can this winter once we have stable ice here in South Dakota.

I have a question pertaining to the hand/power augers that people use.  If I could get a few good suggestions from people I would greatly appreciate it :)

Last year I borrowed a gas powered auger and the first time out probably drilled about 10 holes or so throughout the day.  I was impressed with the speed and all as it only took a few quick minutes (if that) to drill one hole.  This year I am considering purchasing my own power or hand auger - but I'm not sure what to go with.

I am considering a StrikeMaster Lazer power auger (I believe it was the 8" one that goes for close to $300 or so).

My question is:  Is there a better auger for the price or for a cheaper price than this one?  I have heard many opinions that Jiffy is better, yet they are heavier, Lazers breakdown more often, but Jiffy's are more reliable, etc...

Or - would it be more beneficial to spend 50-$100 for a hand auger?  I don't mind spending a few minutes drilling a hole with a hand auger - but I would want one that works the quickest and obviously for the best money :)  The NilsMaster I have read is the way to go - which runs about $100 or so for the 8" one.  Will this put a hole through 12-24" of ice in a small amount of time - or will I be cranking on it for awhile?  Would it be worth it more to spend an extra $100-200 for a powered auger?  If so - which one is the best in your opinions?

Sorry for the 'drawn' out post - I just wanted to explain myself :)

THANKS in advance for any good advice I get :)

W.F.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2004, 09:19 AM »
Redbeard:  You can cet them from cabelas or from HT  ( www.877icefish.com ) Just make sure you get the model with the handel that connects to the auger shaft with a wingnut,that way it you decide to get a power head or drill hook up you will be set.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2004, 09:46 AM »
Hey Waubay Fisher,  I would recommend that you purchase power auger if you're going to drill through more than 12" of ice.  I reserve use of a hand auger for early/late ice and less than 6" of ice.  Then again,  I drill 40-60 holes per outing,  so I need one.  If your style of icefishing is one spot all day deal,  few times a year, then hand auger would be ok for u I guess and then Nils is the way to go.  Need to figure out how often you go out, how much you move  and how thick the ice will get in your area. and then go from there.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2004, 10:58 AM »
JIGAwhopper,

Thanks for the reply!  I will likely go with a power auger just for the simple fact I plan on doing a lot of hardwater fishing this year as I'm extremely excited to get into the sport.  We didn't move around except for twice the one time I went out last year.  I just like the idea of being able to punch through the ice quickly whenever I want to...  Ice usually won't get much thicker than 2-2 1/2 feet up here... at least that is what I've heard is usually the norm....

What would you suggest as the best ice auger in the range of $250-$350 for performance, reliability, and weight?  I believe an 8" auger would be more than sufficient for my needs...

Thanks again!!!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2004, 12:01 PM »
.....you definitely need to go with the power auger then if you get two feet of ice in your area.  I've owned the Eskimo Shark 10" for 4 years.  It's a bit on a heavy side but cuts really well.  If I had to buy something ever again,  I would go with 8" max and perhaps a Jiffy would be my first choice to keep it light.  Just make sure that whatever you buy,  it has idle ajustments on the carburator body so you can tweak it if it goes out of wack, primer bulb and the choke.                            J. 

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Slipbob, congratulations. You now own the finest auger made. If you have never used one before, you won't believe how good they are.Just remember,do not put any downward pressure on the unit, it'll pull itself through the ice.
Pete Lewis

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Does any Canadian member know where you can get Nils in Canada?
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline jsnyd4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2004, 10:39 PM »
try a lazer cuts easy and fast

-Red Beard
;D

power driller

« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2004, 09:58 PM »
check out strickmaster.com they produce some of the fastest cutting ice augers on the market. Hand or power and they have the testomony to prove it.

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2004, 10:02 PM »
I've used Mora for quite a few years. A fishing buddy of mine has a 5" Lase I used last year and today I went and bought my own. The laser is much faster and easier to crank.
Boiler Up !!
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.