The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: needhand held auger help  (Read 2708 times)

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
needhand held auger help
« on: Jan 23, 2004, 09:10 PM »
So here is the deal.  I need a hand held auger.  I have roughly $50 to spend.  I am looking at a 6".  I will be mostly be fishing for gills and perch. Any help on what brand or why i should be swayed to spend more would be great help. Thanks
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
Re:needhand held auger help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2004, 09:41 PM »
They all get you through the ice. For that amount of money, you could get a Mora or Eskimo. For a little more money, a Lazer which cuts easier. For a bunch more you can get a Nils Master, which I havent tried, but many on here swear by.

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2004, 07:28 AM »
I just bought a hand held Lazer to replace a Mora.  It definately cuts easier, but what I have found is that it cuts a much cleaner hole.  There are no sharp edges on the hole at all, nice and smooth all the way through.  I wish I would have spent more on the better auger the first time around.

ALFIE

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2004, 01:45 PM »
   I bought a 8" Eskimo last year and I like it very much BUT when Iwent to use it this year I found it didn't drill worth a d-nm. I have since found out that I need new blades or have these sharpened. My suggestion is to pick-up another set of blades so you'll always be ready to fish.
     I ordered a set from my local bait shop but it takes a week to get them when I get the new ones I'm going to send my old ones out to be sharpened.

Hope this helps you out by the way get either the Mora or Eskimo both excellent for the money.

ALFIE

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: needhand held auger help
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2004, 06:32 PM »
Eskimo Barracuda........works great

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Mora
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2004, 12:37 AM »
I like the strikemaster mora, it seems to cut easy. You really need to replace blades after one year of use. Sharpening blades, even by a skilled sharpener doesn't really work. I would always recommend an 8 inch hand auger even when panfishing so you will have more room for your transducer.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Get a 6 inch Lazer. The mora cannot compare. The Lazer will cut thru refrozen holes without dulling the blades. Try that with a mora. Also the mora blades are a pain to replace, they have to be shimmed just right.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2004, 12:11 PM »
If you can afford the extra cash get a 6 inch Nils Master. I bought one last year and my Lazer is now collecting dust in the garage. This auger cuts like a hot knife through butter. If you can't afford the extra money go with the Lazer. These cut way better than the old blue Moras.   

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2004, 10:34 PM »
just fire up the chainsaw and save your 50 bucks.definitly alot faster then a more, lazer,or what ever type of auger you would but against it.and you can make the hole as big as you want say 6 by 6 or what ever.bill

Gillman

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2004, 12:17 PM »
walleye1, what are you going to be doing with the lazer auger?

raleigh

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2004, 01:37 PM »
I have a Mora 7 inch and a Eskimo 8 inch. Both where under 50 dollars and both work great !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.