The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: CHOOSING A JIFFY POWER AUGER.  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Doug M

• IceShanty Rookie
CHOOSING A JIFFY POWER AUGER.
« on: Nov 17, 2004, 09:09 AM »
I'M GOING TO PURCHASE A JIFFY AUGER THIS YR,, I HAVE DECIDED ON A JIFFY BECAUSE OF THE RELIABILITY, I HAVE NEVER HEARD A FISHERMAN OUT ON THE ICE THAT HAD ONE SAY ANYTHING BUT GREAT THINGS ABOUT THEM. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE COST, I JUST WANT TO BUY IT ONCE AND HAVE IT TO GIVE TO MY SON WHEN SOMEDAY I END UP AS FISH BAIT. I AM UNDECIDED AS TO THE MODEL/HORSE POWER ETC, NEW LIGHT STEALTH ?, REG 2 OR 3 HORSE ? . 8 INCH OR 10 INCH BLADE ,,I FISH IN CT AND SOMETIMES IN VT FOR PIKE, USUALLY NO MORE THAN 12 INCHES OF ICE. BUT SOMETIMES GO ON TRIPS TO VT. WERE IS THE BEST PLACE ORDER IT FROM ALSO ?,, I DO MOST OF MY ORDERING THROUGH CABELAS,,,ANY INPUT YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED... THANKS DOUG

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: CHOOSING A JIFFY POWER AUGER.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2004, 09:14 AM »
I have a strike master, but my buddy has a jiffy & it cuts good. The only thing his a 3 hp and real heavy, maybe the new models are lighter.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2004, 09:18 AM »
Go  with the 3hp 10" if you are comfortable with the weight. Will punch holes in heavy ice for years to come. I like ten inch hole as fish pike and extra room nice to get hand (if you are brave or foolish) into to help pull up fish or even a gaff hook. 8 incher can get a tad tight at times. The 3hp is tough, dependable and has the oomph to get the job done.  Remember to consider the weight though. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Absolutely go with the 10 inch holes, the 2 inches make a world of difference.
I own a Jiffy and that is what I recommend for anyone, but I have seen a few guys not be able to start one all day long?!?!?!? Take care of your auger and it should outlast us all.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2004, 10:30 AM »
If your ice gets no thicker than 12 inches there is no reason to get a 3 hp.  I bought a 2hp stealth last year and was really impressed and much lighter than the 3 hp.  I drilled through 20 inches last year and it never missed a beat.  I use an 8 inch auger and have never had a problem pulling big pike through an 8 inch hole.  I have heard that some of the 3hp models were tough to start, which backs up what Andrew was saying.  I ordered mine on line from Thorne Bros. and they had free shipping.  Alot cheaper than cabelas. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2004, 10:39 AM »
I agree with icenutter, Thorne Bros is a good outfit,prices are good and have great costomer service.
Size to me depends on if you carry the auger by hand onto the ice or drive out/ tow auger out.  If you are walking out and carrying the auger get the 2 hp lots lighter and go with the 9 in it is almost a 10 in hole and less weight in the shaft.  If weight is not an issue go 3 hp with a 10 in blade and chew her up.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Mr.G

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Bought a 3HP 8" last year - the only drawback that I have found is what everyone else has said - weight - has A LOT of power there to utilize - I love mine and I wouldn't recommend anything but a Jiffy - If you are walking out a lot, prolly go with the 2HP, I have a big sled that mine gets pulled out on so the 3 HP is no problem for me.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2004, 11:21 AM »
I have the 3Hp 8 inch Jiffy Legend and love it.  I too had problems starting, but it turned out to be a carb adjustment (performed under warranty from an authorized technician).  It now starts easily each and every time.  No problems.

I am usually punching through up to 2 ft of ice.  This is why I opted for the 3HP.  As someone earlier mentioned, 8 inches is plenty for pike as this is the largest predator I pursue.  If I were in your shoes and was poppiing 12 inch holes most of the time and once and awhile drilling deeper.............get the 2Hp with the 8 inch blade.  Make sure you get it with D'IcerArmor and the ripper blades.  With this it will cut like butter and the ice will not stick.  My friend has the 2 HP and it is IMO significantly lighter than mine.   Trust me, this will make a difference unless you are pulling your sled via snowmobile or ATV.

One last thing.  I would not purchase it from Reeds.  I purchased mine there and it was a nightmare.  If you would like the details you can IM me.  I have dealt with alot of online companies and I would say one of the best is Thorne Bros.  Honest and great customer service.  Deal with them and you can't go wrong.

Good luck with your new best friend! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2004, 12:04 PM »
I bought a 3hp.,10in. jiffy stealth last year and i gotta say its one of the best things i ever bought.Wouldnt go without it.

Mr.G

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Ok - heres a question - I have the 8" 3HP - has anyone ever bought an extra auger assembly for switching from species to species?  If a person were going to go BIG pike hunting would this be worth it? - How much of a hassle is it - I do know that its about $100 bucks or more for the extra auger but if one were going to try catching huge pike would it be worth it?

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2004, 07:25 PM »
MrG
Good question.  I had a strikemaster 2hp (49cc) with an 8 in auger for 12 years and it always ran like a champ.  I decided I wanted a 10 inch for bigger fish and slower ice up.  I purchased a 10 in auger assembly for $95 and installed.  The install is a snap just remove a pin slide out the old, slide in the new and reinsert pin.  2 years later the power head was toast.  that auger was made for a 8 in shaft and not geared for the extra weight and ice cutting ability.  Not worth it to fix so I tossed the whole thing this spring (buying a new powerhead assembly for the 10 in is the same price as getting a brand new auger!)  So I am looking at buying a new Jiffy 2hp stealth in 9 in this year.
Crux of the biscut is call the mfg and see if they recomend changing the shaft size on your auger.  It might be better to sell the one you got and purchase a new one?
Dogfish

cid

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2004, 08:02 PM »
Have a 10" and at first I thought it was a bit big, but after a season its the way to go, holes dont freeze so quick . Go for the 10 then see if a smaller bit will work wo smoking the head

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2004, 09:51 PM »
I bought a 10" legend about 2 years ago.  I too had trouble starting at first, but after the carb ajusted, It runs like a champ.  I live on lake superior, and go through 2 1/2 -3' of ice every year, so the 3 horse was a must.  Let alone I've got a sled or an atv to pull it out, so weight isn't an issue.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2004, 03:59 AM »
Mr .G, you already have a 3 hp powerhead so a 10" bit will prolly work fine but i dont know if they are geared differently at all.

Mr.G

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2004, 11:31 AM »
the 8" to 10" swap would definitely be something to check with manufacturer about - just wondering if anyone had ever done it before.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2004, 01:14 PM »
Like I said yes I have. 

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2004, 05:43 PM »
I bought a 2 HP Stealth 9" last winter and it is a very nice drilling machine, quick, lite, starts and runs well. No problems with it yet, my ONLY advice is if you are going after big fish go with the 3 HP 10" because you can't buy a 2 HP 10". I fish muskies and I'm buying a 10" just for that reason. Good Luck.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Mr. G,

For what it's worth.  I went with the 3 HP 8 inch because I felt it would handle both panfish and pike fishing.  The biggest pike I have caught was 35 inches and came through the 8 inch hole, no problem.  The other reason I didn't go bigger was my concern for drilling large holes that little feet (there are quite a few small kids where I fish) could accidently step in and get hurt.  Just something to think about.

Oh yea. I contacted Jiffy awhile back and they told me the 3 HP powerhead (both Model 30 and 31) can accomodate a larger drill without a problem.  They even have an earth auger bit that will work with the Jiffy Powerhead.  You can check it out on their website.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Doug M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2004, 10:59 AM »
you guys are giving me some great info, I think I'm leaning toward the 2hp stealth with dicearmour, ripper blades in a 9 ".. and sounds like thorne bros is the place to buy it.. last year my son and I took several good size pike out of an 8 inch hole but we always use a small gaff... it saves on the fingers and also on the heart ache if the line lets go... keep the great info coming, this is the best web site I have ever found on ice fishing, last year I asked you guys which portable shanty to go with and I purchased a fish trap guide,,, it is the best.. Doug ,,,

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:32 PM »
Ok - heres a question - I have the 8" 3HP - has anyone ever bought an extra auger assembly for switching from species to species?  If a person were going to go BIG pike hunting would this be worth it? - How much of a hassle is it - I do know that its about $100 bucks or more for the extra auger but if one were going to try catching huge pike would it be worth it?
I have the Jiffy 30, and emailed the manufactor about this, and yes you can swap different sizes, in fact you can buy a dirt auger to put on it. You might check ebay to pick up a differnt size bottom.
If you go to thier website, ask any question and they get right back.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:29 PM »
i own a model 30 since 1989  8 inches and it work very well.i recommend it to anyone.
don't worry about the weight.I'm not a big guy and i can drill lot of hole before I'm out of breath.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:52 AM »
My father bought the Model 30 in the mid 80's. It has the 10" auger. It  is by far the best auger on the market in my opinion. Anything with the name Jiffy on it will last a lifetime if it is taken care of properly.  I went out and bought the same auger this year!

I read somewhere that the Jiffy 2hp is only 7#'s lighter than the 3hp.  I would sacrifice 7#'s for the 3hp engine.

Thorne Bros is great because shipping is included in the price.

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2004, 11:41 AM »
HI guys

i have a 3hp jiffy to whit the 8 inch blade and i do have some probleme to start it,where is the adjustement on this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

my father have one he baught in the urly 70 small on whit the strait handle on the side and the triger on top...start like a charm after 25y plus,,,,,,,

but i do think there are very good,

have a great ice season.

joco ;)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2004, 10:46 AM »
Joco.

If your auger is new, there are two adjustment screws on the carb with red caps. Take them off.

First pic is the Engine.  Notice the red caps on the carb. You want to take these off.

If you can not find the red caps.........Here is a close up.

Once you have the red caps off. Screw the adjustment screws all the way in GENTLY until they stop. Then unscrew(open) the left screw 1/4 turn. Unscrew the right one 1 1/4 turns. Start the motor. At this time the engine should run but still might need some fine adjustments.

If you want, you can then put the caps back on.

vikzilla

« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2004, 03:42 PM »
I bought the 2 HP jiffy  9".  It is easily managable and runs great.

All makes have there advantages. However, everything I have ordered from Thornebrothers.com has been a good price, cheap to no shipping, no sales tax, and fast. They're as good as it gets.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Thorne Bros is where my auger came from!

Troutcall

« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I have the 3hp 10in blade gotta say works like a charm when theres 3ft of ice.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2004, 08:26 PM »
I bought a new one last season from thorne bros.

The Jiffy Legend LIGHTning with the D-Ice'r ARMOR drill. 2HP / 8".

My brother and lots of other friends have the Model 30 with a 10" and like them.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2004, 09:40 PM »
Duck Doctor - Thanks for the photos and the explanation.  I've tried adjusting the red caps, but wasn't happy with the performance I got.  It helps to know what I should have done.  I've got a 3 yr old Jiffy 30 Legend, and have generally been happy with it.  Your machine must be brand new - no oil drips, no dirt/dust on it, and no scratches on the handles.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

P Gottshall

« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2004, 09:50 PM »
FYI - there's been a Jiffy on e-bay, I think listed as 20yrs old.  It's been up for sale twice, & got no bids.  The min bid is $125.

I just bought a Nils or I'd be interested.

Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.