Author Topic: quantity of line on tipups?  (Read 4163 times)

Offline BigDdoney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is best!
quantity of line on tipups?
« on: Nov 03, 2003, 07:28 PM »
how much do you guys usually put on ?i bought some new tipups at dicks sporting goods,  alot cheaper to buy version of heritage laker. i was thinking 75 to 100 feet. i like these new spools better the rod that holds the reel is bolted through the tipup, not like my heritage lakers that are press fit. i had one spool fall off last year as i pulled it out of hole.still got my pike tho.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:quantity of line on tipups?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2003, 07:55 PM »
BigDdoney
If your fish Pike and the weedline ends at about 12ft, 100' should be enough. Thats if you are close enough to get to the tipup before you get spooled. If it were me I'd fill them all the way just in case.
Colod Feet

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2003, 08:34 PM »
Cold feet is right on BigDdonney. Should you get a big musky on, you might get very disappointed after he makes his 2nd run. Be safe.....filler up

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2003, 10:57 PM »
Another vote to fill it up.  You "could" fill it up half-way and let the fish set the hook himself when he reaches the end of the line. :D :D  Some Pike seem to be bent for the opposite side of the lake and won't stop until they reach it.  Are those U.S. Line tipups you bought by chance?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2003, 11:58 PM »
Big D
I put on about 100-125 yards....never even been close to being spooled.I agree 100 feet is not enough.

Did you say your Heritage Lakers were press fit???? I have quite a few and all my shafts are screwed into the frame and the spools are heald on with wing nuts. I've never had a problem with reels coming loose.

Rusty Hook

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2003, 11:28 AM »
Any tips on securing line to the spool? Just tie a knot? Never been spooled but always wondered if my line was secure or the fish was going to run around with my line draging behind it.

GatorSlayer

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Fill it up. That way if you start to doze off (or pass out) and a flag goes, you don't have as much to worry about. Plus I have pesonally had pike rip off easily 100 feet of line before I could even get to the flag. Like mentioned before, some pike just feel like it's neccessary to take their meal to the other end of the lake before they eat it and sometimes there's nothing you can do but watch the spool turn or let the line run through your fingers.

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2003, 02:45 PM »
Personnally Rusty Hook, i prefer to secure the line to the spool with a knot. Probably would be a death sentence to a fish if it did spool you when you were not looking. At least with a knot you might get lucky and still have the fish on. I've had some fish run so fast they put a loop over the spool and snag up. It creates quite a strain on the tip-up tripods let me tell you. Nothing like looking out and seeing a tip-up trying to go down the hole. Hurry up ice!!!!! Currently 75 degrees in western Pa. as i post this....... >:(

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2003, 07:01 PM »
Big D,

I always use a Berkley knot,  still my alltime favorite knot.   Just in case:  wrap the line around the spool,  wrap the tag end around the line five times,  go down thru the hole u created at the bottom,  go thru the hole to the side u just created,  and pull tite and slide down.
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2003, 09:12 PM »
Fill it up,you don't want to run short.Last year I had a big rainbow just about spool me I was in my hut not paying attention to the tip-ups.Now I pin bells to the flag.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline BigDdoney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is best!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2003, 07:38 AM »
mine are heritage tipups .they have the wingnut on out side but 2 oif them were just bare shank and press fit in there.i did not check the rest.i bought some planer board line ,it is 135 lb test and fl green  for tipups this year. i run 50 lb florocarbon leaders for 3-4 feet before the hook.abuddy of mine thought might be easier to grab the line instead of it cutting through your fingers.have to wait and see. florocarbon leaders helped my catch rate last year i think.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2003, 08:35 AM »
BigD,
I ran 50# floro last year as well. It got brittle at the end of the season and I lost 2 big pike in one day. The only 2 break offs I had last year.

This year I'm swtching to American Fishing Wire Surfstrand Micro Supreme. 13# test 49 strand (7x7) camo wire and it's only .009" thick. For walleye I'm going with Surfstrand Micro Ultra...It's a 19 strand wire (1x19) in 6.6# test is .006" thick. Pretty neat stuff. I can't  to try it.

Notice I said Surfstrand and NOT Surflon...Surflon is thicker.

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2003, 04:16 PM »
I would make sure to have at least 100yd on there. If a big sucker takes it you want to have plenty of line. you never know when you might be busy doing something and your flag has been up for a minute or two  not that i know that from experience!!!!!   >:(
Anyway good luck out there and keep trying  and experimenting. you will learn a ton by trying different things out.
keep them flags flyin high!
smelty.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2003, 01:00 AM »
I run my Beaver Dams pretty much full of line.  I've never been spooled either, but been close.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline FFFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2003, 05:52 PM »
I use Heritage Lakers and have never had a problem. I have mine all set up with 150' of monofilament backing (15# test) and 150' of 36# ice line on top. It is very rare that you ever get down to the mono, but it is there if you need it. Be cautious about just "filling" the reel because you may have a tough time getting wet or frozen line back on.
Brace your feet! Them flags gonna start poppin any minute!!

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2003, 07:10 PM »
like the saying goe's you can always take it off but you can't put it on if you don't have it.
walk the hard water side.

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2003, 06:36 PM »
Fill it up, at least 100 yards. Caught many pike last year that would have spooled me at 100'. You never know if your going to fall or have something get in the way of you getting there to set the hook in time.Or when you set the hook and just about cut your finger off from the line and have to switch to the other hand, that takes time too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.