Author Topic: Rigging smelt  (Read 5373 times)

Islander

Rigging smelt
« on: Feb 25, 2003, 06:25 AM »
This is my first year using smelt on a tip-up for pike, and I am having a very hard time getting a hook set. I'm getting 2 to 3 times more strikes using them, as compared to sucker minnows, but not nearly the success getting them hooked. My first problem, was that they want to float, so I put a small bell sinker with the hook on the same snap. It looks gawdy, but doesn't seem to bother the pike any. Next problem is that when the flag goes up, 9 times out of 10, may bait is gone, and so is the fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re: Rigging smelt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2003, 03:32 AM »
I need to know what kind of hook rig you have(Single, treb, Quick strike)?  As for weight on dead smelt, use a finish nail (size depending on the size of your smelt) inserted/shoved in the anal pore (butthole) lenghtwise into the dead smelt.  Not only dont you see it but it hanges the smelt in a more natural position in the water.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Islander

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2003, 04:03 AM »
I'm using a #2 Eagle Claw treble hook, on a 9 inch leader. That doesn't mean I'm not willing to learn a new trick though!!
I had been hooking them the same as I did sucker minnows, under the dorsal fin.
I just put one on that I took the hook off, pushed the shank up thru the belly, and up by the dorsal fin, then reattached to the leader. Hoping that might work. It looks and feels pretty solid.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2003, 06:43 AM »
You might want to try a smaller size hook (#6 is what I use for pike and tigers).  Also try making yourself up some quick strike rigs using 2 treb hooks on one leader.  Hook one by the tail and the other bu the head.  When you go to the flag, if the line is moving hit it and you will have the fish.

Islander

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2003, 10:30 PM »
The quick strike rig sounds interesting. How do you make one? The only thing I can think of is to take the snap off the leader, slide a hook on and reattach the snap, then put on the second hook, leaving one to slide on the leader, and one stationary on the snap. Is this the idea? The nails are a great idea, never would have thought of it. Thanks.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2003, 04:29 AM »
Sounds like it might work.  Give it a try, keep toying around with different ideas.  I have crimping pliers,sleeves and diff wires and heavy monos.  I build my own from the ground up.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2003, 08:44 PM »
i use two number six hooks, tied in tandom, one hook through the back, just infront of the dorsal, the other through the tail.

the key is that the bait lays horizontal.

Lucius

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2003, 09:34 AM »
I make my own rigs with Sevenstrand wire and # 6 or 8 trebles (barbless here in Manitoba). Run wire thru a leader sleeve, thru 1 treble, and back thru sleeve. Crimp. Take 2nd treble, bend eye at 45 degree angle and slide on wire. Cut length of shrinkable tubing to match length of the shaft of the 2nd. treble. Slide on wire, over shaft and heat gently (candle flame or over stove element) until tubing shrinks. Don't shrink tubing too much or it will be so tight to the wire that 2nd. treble will not be adjustable. Pass end of wire thru another leader sleeve, thru a good quality swivel and back thru leader sleeve. Crimp.Use largest smelt you can get your hands on. Position end treble just back of the head and 2nd. treble about halfway up the length of the smelt.(here's where that adjustable treble pays off.) Don't worry about the bait being horizontal. I have fished with these rigs for years and I don't think it makes a difference to the pike. They are opportunists and will grab any easy meal they can. One other tip - take your fillet knife and insert into belly of smelt puncturing the air bladder. Helps to make them sink especially if your bait is thawed first. When you get a flag, don't wait too long. If you get to your tipup and see the fish moving off, take up any slack and then strike. Most often you should find that you have hooked the fish in the corner of the mouth, making it easy to release.

Hope this helps. If more questions, post and if I can, I'll be glad to explain further.

Islander

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2003, 01:06 AM »
Dogfish, Bigredoneonice, and Lucius,
Thanks for your input. They just got restocked with smelt at the store, so I'll be going to pick some up today and try out your suggestions. I don't have any heat tube yet, so will have to let them slide for now.
(I gave up on the hand auger, and got a gasser. What a joy to punch holes now!)

Cheers,
Islander

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2003, 03:14 AM »
Good luck and have fun!  Let us know how you are doing.

simm0116

Re:Rigging smelt
« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2003, 02:41 PM »
 8) Hey, next time you are at the local bait shop ask for a Swedish hook they are fairly big and shaped like a bent letter L. They are the KEY when fishing with smelt as you don't have to wait for them to take the hook...just set it and hang on! :'(

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2003, 11:54 PM »
I have used swedish hooks in the past. they work great. but they tend to hook deep and make it hard to release a fish unharmed.

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2003, 06:40 AM »
I have no new ideas on rigging, but I have been using circle syle hooks for a while now.  They set very well and usually right in the corner of the mouth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.