Author Topic: Cascade Tips?  (Read 3139 times)

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cascade Tips?
« on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:03 AM »
Howdy, all.  Still haven't made my pilgrimage over to Perch heaven at Cascade.  Maybe this year.  For prep, I could sure use some tips for lures/bait, etc.  PMs would be most welcome and appreciated if anyone is so inclined.  TIA.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cascade Tips?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Bump. From what I can tell , perch colors work really well. I have seen a lot of different jigs used on YouTube videos. Looks like Jaw Jackers work pretty good there too! I will be headed over there mid January and I cannot wait!  I picked up a few Rapala jigs in different sizes and of course will be bringing in a lot of tungsten jigs as well.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Thanks!  Yours is the only response, so far.  No PMs.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Thanks!  Yours is the only response, so far.  No PMs.
I think they must be hunting. Sure like the new trailer you bought! :thumbsup:

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Some may be a bit tight lipped on cascade or chasing game right now. Like prospector said there are some good youtube videos and I like combing thru old posts in the R&C board. Also look up other forums for old reports, there are a few out there. I'll be up there with prospector and will hopefully have some good Intel by then.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Beerman44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2017, 08:16 PM »
FG Steve---I just pm'd you but not verse at all in how that works. So if you don't get that, reply here and I will get in touch with you. I fish Cascade quite a bit and have had success on those beautiful jumbos!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2017, 09:03 PM »
FG Steve---I just pm'd you but not verse at all in how that works. So if you don't get that, reply here and I will get in touch with you. I fish Cascade quite a bit and have had success on those beautiful jumbos!
Way to help a guy out! :bow: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10:09 PM »

Got it and sent an email.  Thanks tons!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2017, 09:21 AM »

Good on ya Beerman  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Just wondering what pound test you guys recommend for those perch? I usually fish pretty light, but I would hate to lose a good fish. I feel like going light increases my catch rate though. Thanks!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:24 AM »
I too am hoping to make the drive finally in January. Prospector I am planning on using 4lb floro on everything I take up there. There is the chance that you hook into a decent size bow out of there as well so I wouldn't fish too tight.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:55 AM »
For perch I use my normal 6-10lb braid and just vary my leader from 6-10 lb floro.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Thanks guys! I was  putting new line on all of my reels yesterday and thought about 2 pound test for a minute there. LOL  While I’ve got your ears, what weight of Rod do you guys like to use for your jigging set up? Thanks again!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:10 AM »
I will be using 4lb & 6lb micro ice on my rigs. Can't decide what lb test I want to use on the jaw jackers though. May bring a few of my 8lb test rods for that and mix it up with some of the 6lb test rods
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Did you ever get your new Snappers yet Matt? I will come ready with Jackers for sure. Does a large perch put up much of a fight?  I would imagine they wouldn’t fight nearly as much as for trout.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Matt does make a good point, if I were to use a jaw jacker or something similar I would bump up to 6 or 8 lb line. Perch do fight but not like trout do, think small walleye type of fight. I am using medium to medium light action rods on perch but they have the super fast action tip that acts similar to a spring bobber but then transitions quickly into the backbone.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:51 AM »
Here in Colorado catching perch in gin-clear water I use my MH 28" rod. Same rod I use for walleyes and trout.  I simply add a wire indicator to the rod. Now I have unrivaled sensitivity and backbone for a lightning fast hookset! 

I mean if you want to get any fight outta a perch you use a noodly ultra light but I dont fish perch for their fighting abilities! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2017, 10:08 AM »
 Thanks guys. I’m just a little bit torn right now because where I’m at, I catch feisty rainbow trout that are pretty much 2-3 pounds. I’m using 3 and 4 pound test line with no problems and they fight like hell.  I just love the feel of a light  line set up  with a tungsten jig on the business end of the rod.  I think I will just come loaded for bear with all of the above and see what works. Hate to miss of fish because of a break off, but I also wonder how many would be missed because of heavier line and not being able to feel or see what is going on down there under the ice.  I love the anticipation of a good fishing trip! Going to be a blast!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:06 PM »
I haven't received the snappers yet. He's still getting the molds fine tuned. Last I heard from him he was hoping to have them to us in time for Henry's. I picked up a couple jawjackers from dicks on one of their 20% off sales a couple weeks ago. Cost me $32 each. I felt that was fair enough for me. Could have been cheaper but raise didn't have any deals for them the day I put the order in. I'm not fishing Henry's again without a jacker, snapper ect.... watched you guys catch to many fish off of them the last few years and when you can put 5 rods out it's worth it to me. Be it cascade, Henry's or six rods at the gorge
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:25 PM »
5 or 6 rods is a hoot!  In CO you can only use 2 max.   Thats why I often fish outta state. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I haven't received the snappers yet. He's still getting the molds fine tuned. Last I heard from him he was hoping to have them to us in time for Henry's. I picked up a couple jawjackers from dicks on one of their 20% off sales a couple weeks ago. Cost me $32 each. I felt that was fair enough for me. Could have been cheaper but raise didn't have any deals for them the day I put the order in. I'm not fishing Henry's again without a jacker, snapper ect.... watched you guys catch to many fish off of them the last few years and when you can put 5 rods out it's worth it to me. Be it cascade, Henry's or six rods at the gorge
Seems like I saw thread on here somewhere of people talking about  already having  the snappers. That’s why I was wondering if you got yours yet. Sounded like they like them way better than the Jackers, not sure why?  That’s not a bad price on those ones you got. They are not a perfect product, but I liked them enough to buy five.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:40 PM »
5 or 6 rods is a hoot!  In CO you can only use 2 max.   Thats why I often fish outta state. ;D
Five Rods are  fun! We can fish six over here where I’m at on some lakes in the winter time and even that is not enough to avoid the big skunk. Sometimes when we are fishing tip ups, I will bring the kids out to increase our odds of catching. Usually when you have about 18 to 24 tip ups, something has got to give!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:45 PM »
I am interested to see how you like the slammers vs the jaw jackers matt. I myself I guess couldn't decide which one I wanted so I now own one jaw jacker, one of the origianal automatic fisherman, an Ifish pro tip up, and I made a couple of the homemade slammer types myself. Out of all that I have used so far I would say I like the Ifish pro the best mainly because I like to be able to set the hook myself.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:02 PM »
I am interested to see how you like the slammers vs the jaw jackers matt. I myself I guess couldn't decide which one I wanted so I now own one jaw jacker, one of the origianal automatic fisherman, an Ifish pro tip up, and I made a couple of the homemade slammer types myself. Out of all that I have used so far I would say I like the Ifish pro the best mainly because I like to be able to set the hook myself.
Dang man, you’re killing me! I passed up on and I fish pro for 10 bucks at Cabela’s the other day. Wasn’t too sure about the quality. Should have picked it up!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Yes you should have. I have one of the earlier models and haven't ever had a problem with it. It is fun to fish Boysen with live minows under it. When you get to it you can see the line going out and all you have to do is flip the bail and set the hook. I'm looking into buying a baitfeeder reel for mine so I can leave the bail closed but still free spool the reel.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2017, 03:01 PM »
I picked up a couple of Okuma ABF-20b reels Last year and loved fishing with them on the burbot at flaming gorge. Had an absolute blast when they would take the bait, just a flip of the switch and set the hook! They seem like they are plenty enough Reel for lake trout as well.  Highly recommend.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Yep those are the ones! I am pretty much on pro staff (not offically but have the pro staff discount) with okuma so I can get them for pretty cheap just need to remember to call the office and have some sent over to me. I will be adding them to the arsenal this year I believe.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Only 2 in Utah except for ice fishing the gorge. There you're allowed 6
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.