Author Topic: Two lake limit?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Two lake limit?
« on: Mar 11, 2017, 11:01 AM »
My buddy and I have been debating the limit rule on Kokanee.  The question is if you catch the 15 fish limit on say lower twin, can you swing into spirit and catch 10 more to make 25? I am sure you can't catch 25 at spirit then go to twin and catch 15. It's called a daily limit but if spirit is 25 and twin is 15 can you still come home with 25 as long as you don't catch over the 15 on twin?  It's just a question we can't seem to find out with out pea brains, it's ususlly a tall order to limit on either lake so I doubt we would be hitting two lakes in the same day.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Two lake limit?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I think it would legal . The reason I say this is the limit on trout at Henry's lake is 2 . Island Park is 6 . Lots of people catch 2 at Henry's and go get 4 more at Island Park the same day .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:28 AM »
I agree with Curt.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 03:19 PM »
That's my thought also, I'll have to give it a try

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 03:50 PM »
It never hurts to call a local fish cop. 

My experience with fish cops is that they've been very supportive and helpful in guiding people who want to follow the laws but maximize their efforts and take within the lawful bounds.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Oh yeah, for sure. I know ignorance if the law is no excuse, and I'm ignorant enough.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I agree with Curt and hooknhunter.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I like what you guys are saying, I will still double check with a game warden in our area.  FG Steve, does the FG stand for fish and game?  I noticed the Wyoming board has a ask fish and game topic where the f&g answers any questions, that would be cool to get one going on the Idaho board if a f&g employee was willing to have their brain picked.

Thanks,

Casey

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2017, 04:53 PM »
FG Steve, does the FG stand for fish and game?

No such luck!  I'm just another fisherman with too many opinions. :P  ;D

Regarding the origin of the name, many years ago, my buddy wrote in the outdoor section of a local/regional newspaper.  Shortly after we returned from a fishing trip, a self-deprecating and perhaps-embellished  ;) article would appear in the paper about another grand adventure with the mythical "Fishing Guru Steve." 

I'm no guru, but the name is an homage to my old friend whose time and writing I enjoyed so much.

I noticed the Wyoming board has a ask fish and game topic where the f&g answers any questions, that would be cool to get one going on the Idaho board if a f&g employee was willing to have their brain picked.

That would be cool.  I can talk to my Regional Fisheries Manager.  Anyone else have a good contact?

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2017, 06:38 PM »
It would be an easy way to get straight answers. Another just for giggles question: if your staying out for the night in your shanty, can you catch a limit before midnight, then catch a laugh limit after midnight and leave the ice with two limits? Most rules state you can have two daily limits in possession, in assuming they mean at home in your freezer.  Next year a buddy and I are gonna try to pull an allnighter but will definitely look into what will be legal.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Another just for giggles question: if your staying out for the night in your shanty, can you catch a limit before midnight, then catch a laugh limit after midnight and leave the ice with two limits? Most rules state you can have two daily limits in possession, in assuming they mean at home in your freezer.  Next year a buddy and I are gonna try to pull an all-nighter but will definitely look into what will be legal.

That one is a definite yes, after the first day of the season.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-fish-2016-2018-table-of-contents.pdf  See page 5 under "What's new."

You can actually do that for a three-day trip!

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-fish-2016-2018-general-fish-info.pdf

Page 47:

Possession Limit:  Maximum number of fish that may be lawfully in possession of any person. Possession limit shall apply to fish while in the field or being transported. All fish hooked, landed and not immediately released shall be counted in the possession limit of the person hooking the fish. The possession limit is 3-times the daily bag limit after the second day of the season.

At home in the freezer, no limit is mentioned, but it is still illegal to waste game fish, even via freezer burn!

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Thanks, good to know.  I usually wait until I have at least three limits in the freezer then smoke them all at once.  I used an old fridge for a smoker so small batches weren't worth the time. Now I have a smaller electric smoker so can do 1 limit at a time and they all get eaten by my family. When I would smoke a big batch I would end up giving them to friends so they would all get eaten without spoiling in fridge.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2017, 03:14 PM »
CMS-  I give most of my fish to my neighbor and when he gets enough he smokes a big batch and vacuum seals them. We eat as much as we can and freeze the rest for later consumption.  Taste just fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.