Author Topic: Hayden lake Idaho kokanee  (Read 2796 times)

sihlms391

Hayden lake Idaho kokanee
« on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:09 PM »
Don't know if it is true but heard guys have been ice fishing somewhere on Hayden catching kokanee.   Anyone else confirm that?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Hayden lake Idaho kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:52 PM »
In 2016, Idaho Fish & Game made 3 stockings totaling 59,744.

2015                     "                  many stockings        300,384.

2014                     "                            "                     200,006

There should be a few survivors of catchable size.      :thumbsup: ;)2

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 12:58 AM »
my question would be how safe is the ice off honeysuckle boat launch even after that tugboat went through there and broke up some of the ice
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:02 AM »
I like your spunk Rayne, I'm not kidding when I say that.  I'm lovin it because your post was the first time I ever considered that idea.  I think it's a good one.

A buddy and me fished honeysuckle out to about even with the honeysuckle boat launch...middle of honeysuckle bay.  Still too shallow for Kokanee. Was about 12ft.  That was a month ago...it might be frozen farther out now?  Obviously you gotta find some decently deep water that freezes, and I don't have the scoop on where that might be in Hayden.  Would be a cool payoff if you can find it though.

About three weeks ago I scouted Hayden (live very close) and saw that Mokins Bay was froze.  I fished it that next weekend...but didn't have the balls to get out of the slough part of the bay...nothing worth noting.   As you might know at the end of the slough before open water it's about waist deep...but then gets deep very fast.  It was frozen two hundred yards out from there...you might be able to get into a deep water situation there.

I don't know of any other deeper areas that freeze over on Hayden...maybe someone else does?  Any ideas guys?  If Rayne reports back, we know he lived :)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:24 AM »
I am not going out on the lake tell later this month if we still have ice but from what I seen yesterday the whole dang lake was froze and I mean the whole dang lake if I have time today I might go do some snooping around and see if it's safe
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:20 PM »
I wouldn't trust Hayden other than the shallow bays.  During the summer, the Kokanee fishermen seem to congregate straight out from Honeysuckle about 1/2 mile (middle of the lake) probably 50' of water or more (while I'm slaying crappies in the shallows)

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:22 PM »
Here's a link to the Kokanee stocked on Hayden the past few years.

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/fishingPlanner/stocking/?region=1&stock=16&search=hayden

Offline Idahoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Went out on hayden today. Walked north from honeysuckle. About 40 people fishing. Catching nice Kokanee.

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:34 AM »
Holy Crap I'm pissed. Idahoice, you are full of it: I don't believe you. How else can I say it?  "dry that one out, it'll fertilize the lawn."  No Way.  Nada.  I live 5 minutes from Hayden....been here all my life.....never seen it before.

Let me go get another beer and calm down.   Sorry Idahoice.....I need a moment to come to terms with this. 

I CLEANED MY GARAGE this weekend.  I gotta punch the clock tomorrow morning.  I'm screwed.  And: I cleaned my garage this weekend.

This is the first time in the history of forever (literally) that catching kokanee (nice ones) on Hayden through the ice has ever been possible.  It it's any conscilation:
My garage looks awesome.

Thanks for the report
&%$#!!!*&#!!!

Offline IceChatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:45 AM »
40 people out there?  40???   Damn.  You know that was a bunch of gawkers that can afford a house on Hayden that looked out the window and said "look honey, there's people out there fishing"

I'm going to bed.

sihlms391

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Thanks for reply idahoice.   

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:44 AM »
So how thick is the ice? 

Went out on hayden today. Walked north from honeysuckle. About 40 people fishing. Catching nice Kokanee.

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Any ice reports for Hayden?? never caught a kokanee want to try one but not sure where to even begin. And I am at another disadvantage as I am fishing "blind" so to say with no electronics.

Offline Idahoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:22 AM »
Been going out daily on Hayden. Lots of ice over 8 inches. Leaving from honeysuckle. Go get em guys more cold weather to come. I saw A group of 9 guys with limits. Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.