Author Topic: Korkers Apex Ice Cleats  (Read 1795 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Korkers Apex Ice Cleats
« on: Aug 10, 2020, 09:46 AM »
Has anyone used the Korkers Apex Ice Cleats?  My first pair of cleats were the Yak Traxx Pro ($28).  They did fine, but broke last year.  I was able to Gorilla Tape them back into functioning okay, but might be time for new ones this year. 

I like the look of these Korkers Apex ($40).  I know guys like the Kahtoola micro spikes, but they're about twice as much money ($70).  The Apex look to be a step up from the Yak Traxx, but only cost an additional $12 compared to the Yak Traxx, so I'm trying to see if it's worth the money.

Anyone know how the comfortable the Korkers are?  I have to pull my sled out and back by hand, so I do a lot of walking. 
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Korkers Apex Ice Cleats
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2020, 10:04 AM »
https://korkers.com/products/apex-ice-cleat?variant=24522138583140

I would think that the silicon rubber on the foot base would not hold up to the rigors of ice fishing .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Lot of Kahtoola knockoffs on Amazon . I have the Kahtoolas... worth the investment ..but I do have a pair of Eagle Claw knockoffs that seem pretty comparable as my back up/extra pair .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2020, 11:29 AM »
https://korkers.com/products/apex-ice-cleat?variant=24522138583140

I would think that the silicon rubber on the foot base would not hold up to the rigors of ice fishing .

That's eventually what went on my Yak Traxx Pro, but they last 3 years.  The Apex appears better made than the Yak Traxx in my opinion.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Jimhaney08 You may want to look at a brand of creepers/cleats called Stabilicers. They are similar to the Korkers in having a rubber foot base with screws for traction  and woven straps with velcro to hold them onto your boots. I had my pair for several years and they are still holding up the screws can be replaced if and when the need for new ones comes the are noisy when walking put have given me good traction on the ice. I must be honest and say between the short ice season here in South eastern New York and my work schedule i get out maybe ten times a season at the maximum .So your length of service for this brand of kreepers may vary. depending on the size you need think prices run between $45 to $50 dollars.
 steve

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2020, 12:53 PM »
Kahtoolas all the way (on three years with mine), but just got these for $9 as a backup......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YYY936Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for $9, don't care how long they last.....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Jimhaney08 I did a little Google searching on Stabilicers the model i own is called  32 North Stabilicers Maxx and now cost between $45 to $60 dollars before tax and shipping depending on the size and you who purchase them from looks like both Walmart and Amazon have these creepers on their websites. You might find them in Walmart stores closer to ice fishing season . Also try other big chain retailers like Dick's Sporting Goods and Bass Pro/Cabela's,etc. . I suggest tracing the outline of boots you wear and comparing length and width measurements to product size chart if one is available. I wear a size 9 wide width boot and the large size works for me.
  Steve

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2020, 09:54 AM »
I got the Yak Trax Diamond Grip cleats 2 years ago and love them. I had the Pro model before and the wire kept breaking and then unraveling from the rubber part. The Diamond Grip is hardened steel alloy and actual chains to connect the diamonds to the rubber. The Diamond Grips are listed for $45 on their website, but I feel like I remember paying slightly less when I got mine.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline mschmalz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2020, 02:55 PM »
I had the APEX cleats for about the second half of last season before the rubber started to tear.  And they were only used on glare ice, which we didn't have to much of in my area last year.  Wore them maybe a dozen days tops.  I did, however, like how lightweight and easy on/off they were, price was reasonable, but at the end of the day, they were just not durable.  The metal bent easily also (under my 260lbs), which negatively impacted traction too...

Their warranty dept was pretty good about it though.  Very responsive.  I opted to swap for the EXTREMES instead of a refund.  Much sturdier, for sure, but I got them after ice-out so haven't been able to test 'em out yet.  Worth a look at least, but at that price ($70), there are other options...

https://korkers.com/collections/ice-cleats/products/extreme-ice-cleats?variant=24522125607012   Size XL fits my 14 muck arctic sports perfectly.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I had the APEX cleats for about the second half of last season before the rubber started to tear.  And they were only used on glare ice, which we didn't have to much of in my area last year.  Wore them maybe a dozen days tops.  I did, however, like how lightweight and easy on/off they were, price was reasonable, but at the end of the day, they were just not durable.  The metal bent easily also (under my 260lbs), which negatively impacted traction too...

Their warranty dept was pretty good about it though.  Very responsive.  I opted to swap for the EXTREMES instead of a refund.  Much sturdier, for sure, but I got them after ice-out so haven't been able to test 'em out yet.  Worth a look at least, but at that price ($70), there are other options...

https://korkers.com/collections/ice-cleats/products/extreme-ice-cleats?variant=24522125607012   Size XL fits my 14 muck arctic sports perfectly.

Thanks for the info!  Yeah, at $70 I'd be tempted to get the Katoolahs that everyone raves about.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2020, 03:25 PM »
I've had the Energeticsky crampons for two years now with no issues.   I probably don't get out nearly as much as some of you, but they have held up for about two dozen trips so far.  Price is very reasonable at $22.   Seem well made.

https://www.amazon.com/EnergeticSky-Upgraded-Traction-Stainless

Good luck!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2020, 03:55 PM »
I've had the Energeticsky crampons for two years now with no issues.   I probably don't get out nearly as much as some of you, but they have held up for about two dozen trips so far.  Price is very reasonable at $22.   Seem well made.

https://www.amazon.com/EnergeticSky-Upgraded-Traction-Stainless

Good luck!

bad link...these maybe what your referring to...they seem ok 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784RQW5C/ref=sspa_dk_left_sx_aax_0?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMjU3UDA1V0xBR1dQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTcxMTg5M0dPWlZUMFRRSlVGSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzQwNTI0MTY2VEFYQjA0QlJJMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF9sZWZ0X3NoYXJlZCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Nice!  I just ordered a pair.  We'll see how they hold up!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Nice!  I just ordered a pair.  We'll see how they hold up!

Good ..If you could do a first impression and an on ice review/new post thread that would help many members ..as this question comes up quite frequently ..and Katoolas is always the answer (including myself) although GREAT are very cost prohibited for many many members..having a great inexpensive alternative would be great.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Sure thing.  Now hopefully we get some ice here in Pennsylvania so I can try them out this year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.