Author Topic: Swedish Pimple  (Read 8014 times)

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Swedish Pimple
« on: Jan 14, 2005, 12:46 AM »
Alright, when fishing with a Swedish pimple I get a lot looks and follows from crappie.  Just wondering what you guys do when you get the crappie to follow it up but then just look at.  I would appreciate.
Time to fish.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Swedish Pimple
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2005, 01:55 AM »
Small spoons are great for crappies. Are you tipping these spoons with some type of bait, like spikes or waxies? Generally I just will jiggle the spoon once I see a crappie on screen. If I can get him to follow I can usually get him to hit. Just generally don't jig too aggressively, but if they won't take when your fishing subtle, try more aggressive tactics. If he won't hit the smallest spoon, I would switch to a smaller, more subtle jig like a nuclear ant, or ratso/shrimpo.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2005, 05:02 AM »
Another thing you could try is adding a dropper, Some people lke to add a 3" dropper with a little white nymph here. Or for the lazier(sp?) you could just take a hali chain and add it on.

-Evan

Offline savedsinah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2005, 10:37 PM »
I find the best thing to tip a pimple with is an eyeball. It works great!.
It sounds macabre, but it poke out the eyeballs of every fish I get. I store them in a tupperware cup and freeze them when I get home. That way I don't have to wait for my first catch to start jigging with them. :tipup: ;)

Offline leon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2005, 11:42 PM »
i agree an eyeball is the way to go, never tried to freeze them, makes sense.
 LEON

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2005, 12:25 PM »
are you using a sensitive rod or at least a spring bobber on the end because even though you are using a spoon/pimple/hali doesnt mean they are going to slam it they still will most likely hit it realy lite
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:49 PM »
some bait of some kind helps, eyeballs, spikes, whatever, but, when you're watching the fish come up on the screen, raise your rod tip up a bit, not too high mind you, just enough to give the fish some aggression.  usually works. 
It's all about Karma.....

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice.  I'll give all those suggestions a try.
Time to fish.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:10 PM »
 I have become acquainted with a man who is a "PRO" at catching big crappies on Swedish Pimples.
 He uses a cheap rod with a flat spring bobber on the end and a small silver pimple tipped with maggots.
 He has a jigging pattern that he starts on the bottom and works up to 3or4 feet and then back down all very slowly.
 He watches the spring bobber rythm for ANYTHING different in the pattern.He catches fish when no one else does and I have sat and watched the spring bobber with him and at times have never caught the subtle difference in movement that he has seen prior to setting the hook.
 He fishes one hole with one rod and does not use electronics.
 In short it is a system that works and if the ice holds out or the Lord dosen't return first I'm going to learn how to do it.
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline slabslayer66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2005, 05:40 AM »
hey winchester, this is a very good system. small pimples are hard to beat. electronics will just save lots of time finding fish. also using the single chrome hook that comes w/ the pimples will increase youre catch. good luck ;) :tipup:

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:06 AM »
1 1/4 inch glow in the dark swedish pimple with a #8 round hook tipped with a chunk of dead shiner... Slays 'em!!
Scott Wright

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:16 AM »
  While fishing early in the evening and using a lantern , the shad were drawn to the light and one of the little buggers took a maggot on a small hook.
 As I examined it I was impressed by how bright and defined the eyes are on these fish and I wondered if I added an eye decal to the swedish pimple if it would up the hit rate as crappies which I have caught and examined were full of small shad.
 Has anyone tried this or do you have any thoughts on the matter?
 Also,this months Field and Stream Mag.has an article about a guy who makes lures out of beer bottle caps which he says catch any fish that feed on minnows.They look interesting and might be fun to make and try thru the ice for crappies.

The ice is gettin thin.Be careful!
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.