New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Not biting like they should....  (Read 3882 times)

Offline bigbay crappie buster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Not biting like they should....
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:43 PM »
just came by bigbay about 430pm today theres about 1 inch of ice there. this cold weather should let us fish there about sunday or monday i will keep youll informed. oby the way i went to goose bay chipawa bay and lake of the isles today very sad 3 big sunfish and 1 big blue gill . im not impressed about those spots.
fill your buckets with quality not quantity and enjoy the conversations over heard of how good a fisherman you are................... ....

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:44 PM »
Were you fishin any pike?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:49 PM »
Hey B.B.C.B.-if it's any consolation, I've talked to acouple perchers and they tell me the same thing, some fishing here in Chaumont Bay say likewise about the bite.  I was buying pike bait this morning at the place in Chaumont where they also buy perch and I'm told the bite has just shut off for the big perch, she was cleaning bullheads this morning....no perch to do....

The pike bite is slow up this way as well, went bad as soon as the ice opened back up almost a month ago now, with a few exceptions.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2006, 06:39 AM »
Bump this thread...been a month now since the last post, hard to believe the ice has gone out and come back as many as 3-4 times in Chaumont Bay this winter, depending on location on the bay.

The bite is still way off up here....perch aren't being found and the pike bite is slower than normal.  People are all over the bay and not getting the big perch, and very few smaller ones, they just aren't schooled up in here yet....

Seems like I'm hearing a lot of conversations about quite a few areas that have ice and the bite being off....it's been a strange year....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

dwayne

« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2006, 06:57 AM »
I have been experiencing unusually slow conditions on my home water.  I think it has to do with the constantly changing weather patterns we have been having.   I am going to head out this afternoon hoping the couple days of stable weather make a difference in the feeding pattern.

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2006, 10:01 AM »
  There"s still ice on Chaut. lake and the fishing hasn"t been that bad.
   Caught five keepers last weekend all in the 20-23" range and lost a five lb.er at the ice last night followed by another that got off half way up. Still trying until the ice is gone.
                                                J. Young
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2006, 05:52 PM »
\

11" gills are HUGE for NY.  You know that don't you. I still have never seen one in 30 years of fishing here but they got to be someplace if you've seen plenty of them.  I'd love to see some pics of those next to a tape coming from NY.  I hear talk of them coming from Honeoye but nobody has produced a photo yet although some credible sounding folks have mentioned it.  I've seen my share of gills but nothing more than 10.25".  I would love to get ahold of one bigger as that's a trophy the same as a 12lb walleye here.
Hey slib, I have seen some pancakes at Honeyoye. looking for trophy gill thats a good place. I've seen em never caught em. on others hooks! and in other buckets.
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Aside from the bitterly cold days this year I have been doing well. caught my first pike ever and his 12 friends in 2 trips. No monsters but if the bite is off I cant wait for it to be on  ;D I have found the panfish to be very cooperative except for bluegills which I cant seem to EVER catch. I am new to NY so if this is a slow year I cant wait for next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.