New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: who in the area does nice walleye mounts???  (Read 4769 times)

Offline bassackwardsagain

• IceShanty Rookie
who in the area does nice walleye mounts???
« on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:08 PM »
about 10 years ago i had a 12 lb northern that i got through the ice mounted by i believe was barrangers freeze dried taxidermy they were in the hollow grinder on stutson street and did a nice job the fish still looks awesome! i got a 9 lb 27" walleye yesterday and am going to get it mounted but im unsure of who to take it too? any feedback from you guys i would appreciate! i have wrapped her in a wet towel and put her in a bag all fins flat etc! and shes froze right now! :tipup:

Offline trapper330

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: who in the area does nice walleye mounts???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Mike at Adirondack wildlife studeo is the man.

Offline Pipelayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Mike at Adirondack wildlife studeo is the man.

I agree, Mike's the man!!!!

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Stewart at North Country Taxidermy does great work as well. Hastings, ny

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:00 AM »
x3 for adirondack wildlife
Dont't catch um all

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:03 AM »
I started getting reproduction mounts done and I will NEVER KEEP a mountable fish again.  Repro's are absolutely awsome and seem to be so much sturdier.  I had my son nock a repro off the wall with his pool stick (that will never happen again) anyway the mount held up fantastic.  fell about 7 feet.

Offline bassackwardsagain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:42 PM »
thanx for the feedback you guys! stay safe!  :tipup:

adam2000

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:14 PM »
I started getting reproduction mounts done and I will NEVER KEEP a mountable fish again.  Repro's are absolutely awsome and seem to be so much sturdier.  I had my son nock a repro off the wall with his pool stick (that will never happen again) anyway the mount held up fantastic.  fell about 7 feet.
diffrent fish like diffrent with repo's dont they, im sure a salmn or steelhead would be fine, but a walleye i think would like to fake compared to a skin mount

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:17 PM »

adam2000

« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:22 PM »
i dropped a brown and a steelie off  october 2009, and a deer off nov 28 2009 to fishwish in pulaski, still havent gotten any of them back, she does good work but **censored**, never again will she get my business

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:45 PM »
joestaxidermy.net

I had a laker done by Joe and it turned out awesome. That was when he was charging $13 an inch. He now charges $20 an inch.....
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

adam2000

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:08 PM »
joestaxidermy.net
800 bucks for a deer head and 20 bucks a inch for fish, how is this guy even in business, he is 300 bucks over average for deer heads , and 5 bucks a inch over fish mounts

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I havnt caught any fish worth mounting but what has to be done to make a replica? Would like to know. Imo i think it would be a little more enjoyable having the actual fish done. But either would be fine

adam2000

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I havnt caught any fish worth mounting but what has to be done to make a replica? Would like to know. Imo i think it would be a little more enjoyable having the actual fish done. But either would be fine

not really sure, i dont like replicas, i think they look really fake, but they do last alot longer, but i have skin moounts that are over 20 yrs old they are still in great shape, just dont hang them where the sun will bake them all day

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:00 PM »
800 bucks for a deer head and 20 bucks a inch for fish, how is this guy even in business, he is 300 bucks over average for deer heads , and 5 bucks a inch over fish mounts

Seriously?  How can you price shop art?  If the work is outstanding then why should it be the same price as the average Joe charging 12-15 an inch?  Every taxidermist produces a different product.  A lot of guys have never seen good taxidermy so they don't know better.  No, it doesn't come at 12 dollars and inch.  I cringe at some of the mounts that I have seen guys on here think are good.  Like anything else you get what you pay for.  Best thing is spend time looking at past work and then decide what type of quality you want for the price you are willing to pay.

Pulled this off another website, but it gets right to the point about choosing a taxidermist:

CHOOSING A TAXIDERMIST

Choosing a taxidermist can be a frustrating experience.  Many people think all taxidermy work is the same and so they "price shop", often with disastrous results.  While price is an important factor, quality of work is much more important.  Your mount will last a lifetime and you want to display it proudly so remember the famous saying:

"The bitterness of poor quality will remain long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

adam2000

« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:11 PM »

Seriously?  How can you price shop art?  If the work is outstanding then why should it be the same price as the average Joe charging 12-15 an inch?  Every taxidermist produces a different product.  A lot of guys have never seen good taxidermy so they don't know better.  No, it doesn't come at 12 dollars and inch.  I cringe at some of the mounts that I have seen guys on here think are good.  Like anything else you get what you pay for.  Best thing is spend time looking at past work and then decide what type of quality you want for the price you are willing to pay.

Pulled this off another website, but it gets right to the point about choosing a taxidermist:

CHOOSING A TAXIDERMIST

Choosing a taxidermist can be a frustrating experience.  Many people think all taxidermy work is the same and so they "price shop", often with disastrous results.  While price is an important factor, quality of work is much more important.  Your mount will last a lifetime and you want to display it proudly so remember the famous saying:

"The bitterness of poor quality will remain long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

800 for a deer head is crazy, and that first walleye on that guys website looks like garbage, my buddy does deer heads on the side, and they are not diffcult, my dad had his last one done by a guy that woorked at budweiser for 200 bucks, and the guy took that deer to 3 shows and won all of them, 800 foor a deer head is way over priced, and so is 20 bucks a inch

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:13 PM »
x4 adirondack wildlife studio!!

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:13 PM »
800 for a deer head is crazy, and that first walleye on that guys website looks like garbage, my buddy does deer heads on the side, and they are not diffcult, my dad had his last one done by a guy that woorked at budweiser for 200 bucks, and the guy took that deer to 3 shows and won all of them, 800 foor a deer head is way over priced, and so is 20 bucks a inch

as a past customer, i have to agree with you adam, it's really good but...
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

adam2000

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:14 PM »
x4 adirondack wildlife studio!!
does he charge 800 for a deer head and 20 bucks a inch too?

adam2000

« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:17 PM »
as a past customer, i have to agree with you adam, it's really good but...
seriously so my 38.5" steelie i got he would of wanted 770 bucks, get outta here, sounds like he should move to the hamptons

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:20 PM »
he only charged 600 for my deer head and 625 for my 48" 27lbs northern replica.both came out absolutely awesome.i do see a big difference in other deer mounts and fish mounts i'v seen, this guy is no joke.even if he is a little high on his prices you get what you pay for.if you want a cheap half a$$ mount and your good with that fine, if you want exceptional quality work check him out

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:22 PM »

I wasn't speaking of this particular artist, but in general you get what you pay for.  In fish there is tremendous variation from artist to artist.  You really have to shop.  

adam2000

« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:24 PM »
he only charged 600 for my deer head and 625 for my 48" 27lbs northern replica.both came out absolutely awesome.i do see a big difference in other deer mounts and fish mounts i'v seen, this guy is no joke.even if he is a little high on his prices you get what you pay for.if you want a cheap half a$$ mount and your good with that fine, if you want exceptional quality work check him out

there are plenty of taxidermist around pulaski that do just as good if not better work for 13-14 a inch, his deer do look great, but they all do when they are first done, i think his fish doont loook so hot, that 1st walleye looks terrible, and he says no gurantee on the tanning of the hide, for 800 bucks he better nt mess that up or it wont last 4 months

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Not picking on you Adam, but you haven't seen good fiberglass reproductions if you think they look fake, but you are right, bad ones do.  Good ones are out there, but like anything else, you have to shop for the right artist. 

I think I have only seen a handful of skin mounts as good as this repo.....

adam2000

« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Not picking on you Adam, but you haven't seen good fiberglass reproductions if you think they look fake, but you are right, bad ones do.  Good ones are out there, but like anything else, you have to shop for the right artist. 

I think I have only seen a handful of skin mounts as good as this repo.....

(Image removed from quote.)
thats probally one of the best looking walleye mounts i have seen, seems as though walleyes just dont look that good mounted no matter who does them, but that one there is really good looking

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Its a repro too  ;)

Offline mayfield

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:37 PM »
x? adirondack wildlife studio!!
race my mower all summer  and race to a flag in the winter

Offline trapper330

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I would not compare any repo to one of Mike Vickerson's real mounts. Although he is a very good humble man, I think he would find it offensive. His mounts are works of art. His fish mounts look like they just came out of the water.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:41 PM »
there are plenty of taxidermist around pulaski that do just as good if not better work for 13-14 a inch, his deer do look great, but they all do when they are first done, i think his fish doont loook so hot, that 1st walleye looks terrible, and he says no gurantee on the tanning of the hide, for 800 bucks he better nt mess that up or it wont last 4 months
i just double checked the prices on his site,800 for deer and 20 or 23 per inch on fish is high,the guy is awesome but thasts high.to be honest at that price i would look else where too.it might be worth giving a call and see if he'd come down at all.as for the tanning i'm not sure i get that

adam2000

« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:44 PM »
i just double checked the prices on his site,800 for deer and 20 or 23 per inch on fish is high,the guy is awesome but thasts high.to be honest at that price i would look else where too.it might be worth giving a call and see if he'd come down at all.as for the tanning i'm not sure i get that
i mean 800 for a deer head and he doesnt gurantee the tanning, youd have to be crazy to spend that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.