Author Topic: Favorite Trout Jig  (Read 4316 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Favorite Trout Jig
« on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering what you guys like to use for those rainbows? Thanks in advance.

-Evan

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re:Favorite Trout Jig
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2003, 03:34 AM »
Small swedish pimple/with a sliver of shiner,1/8oz Cleo(sliver/red or gold/burgandy),1/12oz Rapala jigging lure,Stamina gold or silver mini jig
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Small maribou jig, tipped with  a waxworm. Pink head, black maribou with a few strands of bk. Krystal Flash. Catches plenty of other panfish as well. (1/32 oz).

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:17 AM »
Wireworms, small spoons, tear drops, plain hooks, jigs, flies, all effectively catch trout. Favorite colors would be black, green, orange, yellow and white, as well as glow in the dark. Anything that grabs there attention will do the trick. When baiting my jigging set-up I prefer to use maggots, or a very small piece of worm, about one inch in length. The reason for such a small piece is because trout worms have a tendency of curling up when hooked and this will offset your presentation when jigging. Having your set-up spin in a circle every time you jig is unnatural, and a wary old rainbow won't even give you a second look.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:21 AM »
1/32 oz roundhead jig tipped with a giant mealworm.  I puncture it on the bottom of it's body just behind the head.  I bring the point back out three to four segments from the rear of the larva so it resembles a tail that extends about 1/2" past the hook bend.

For big bows I'll jam the jig down the gullet of a 2"-3" minnow and bring the point out through it's back.  The head of the jig sits in the minnow's mouth.  I'll bottom bounce with it.  Gives the impression of a foraging minnow.  I'll also fish it suspending with slight twitches to imitate an injured minnow...

To answer your question, 1/32 oz roundhead jig is my fav lure and accounts for most of my fish(rainbows).  I fish it in white, orange, green, yellow or pink....but color rarely seems to matter.

I also use foam body backswimmer patterns tied on a 1/64 oz roundhead jig tipped with a single spike, or unbaited.  

Cha-Chi

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 07:08 PM »
small swedish pimple fished alone or tipped with a HALF a fat-head minnow. It works for the stockies down here in PA.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:12 PM »
1/16 oz shrimpo tipped with a waxworm. the best colors are orange, pink, and white
I've caught over 100 trout in a day using this combo, several times. For me it has never failed.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

shmeltz

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:49 AM »
3/4 ounce chartruese and white bucktail with sucker bait for lakers - deadsticking salmon eggs and a peice of nightcrawler for bows

cowboyhippie

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:13 PM »
Ice Fishing for Rainbows out west I use a small orange jighead with a clear speckled tube skirt. Tip the jig with a meal worm or piece of crawler.
If they bite the tube they will not spook. This rig has been working for me for years. My buddy and I used them today and caught 10 over 18 inches.

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Silver/Black Rapala jig in sizes 5 and 7.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Favorite Trout Jig
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:44 PM »
For Lake Trout I like 2.5" tube jigs in white or chartreuse. I use a 1/8 ounce or 1/4 ounce tube head, and slip it in the tube but not all the way, I leave about the head about a quarter inch from the tob of the tube. This gives the tube a deadly spiral and it has a more erratic darting action. On the main hook, I crimp on a small #8 treble hook to act as a stinger. I then put on a small piece of cut baitfish, especially suckers or anchovies on the main hook. I like the piece of meat nearest the tail of the baitfish. The other pieces work well too, sometimes the head being the best. This jig will catch any trout well, even small ones. Lakers, browns, bows, cutts, and brookies.
If trying exclusively for rainbows, browns, cutts, or brookies, I like to use a #6 hook and a small split shot on six pound test. I usually just deadstick a third of a crawler this way and mop them up. Sometimes though  they want a more active presentation. Then I like using a small kastmaster or swedish pimple tipped with a piece of crawler, or a mealworm or waxie. Small shrimpos also work really well, though they should be rigged with a small stinger treble.
Depth wise, I like 30 - 50 feet for lakers, with about 45 being the best. For other trout, 8 - 25 feet, with 15 being about the best. Usually here in Colorado lake trout are generally close to the bottom or right on it, and the other trout will suspend more. Even for them I start on the bottom, but always watch the vexilar for suspended fish. Follow this advice and I don't think you can go wrong.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.