Author Topic: trout looking not taking  (Read 3577 times)

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
trout looking not taking
« on: Mar 05, 2003, 06:07 PM »
the look but wont take ??????????
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Re: trout looking not taking
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2003, 01:58 AM »
how do u know they were looking u have an aqua view?
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2003, 11:07 AM »
Trout can be very selective at times, it can be the size of the bait or lure that makes them shy away or it can be the color. My experience is that the healthier the lake the harder the fishing, Healthy lakes are usualy full of nymphs and other aquatic insects. Knowing what kind of insect hatches take place throughout the year can help tremendously, and also knowing what kind of baitfish are there. I usualy bring an arsenal with me and if the aren't biting i just try everything over and over again
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:trout looking not taking
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2003, 04:55 PM »
Your dilemma is not an uncommon occurance when fishing trout.  Whatever you were using as a presentation was convincing enough to lure the fish in close, however when the fish were able to focus at close range something did not look right and your offering was refused.  Two possible causes come to mind.

#1. Your bait was too large.  If you find yourself in this situation again try downsizing.

#2.   The most common cause.  Upon seeing a fish approach, many anglers suddenly change whatever it is they were doing before they seen the fish, some jig more aggressively, others will stop moving the lure completely.  This often is enough to discourage the fish.  

I find(at least with trout) that I can often get a fish that has refused to turn and strike by using a simple technique.  I simply make my lure appear to be attempting to flee from the predator.  This is no doubt what a fish most often sees when approaching potential prey.  After the refusal I begin lifting the lure rapidly upward with short, sharp jerks of the rod tip.  Almost every time the fish moves on the bait, but doesn't always take.  I often get a second refusal, at which point I drop the lure back to it's starting point and repeat the process until the fish finally strikes or flees.  I've had as many as seven refusals from the same fish before it finally hit the lure.  Sometimes (when fishing rainbows) I get into a pod of four or five  that are all interested but don't take.  That can lead to some heart pounding action using the aforementioned technique...

By the way fishingking , I have the same question as Adkiceman.  As far as I know(and perhaps I'm just not up on the latest)you can't get an Aqua-vu with more than 120' of cable.  How did you see those fish?  Sonar? Deep model Vex perhaps?  Come on fishingking, my curiousity has been aroused....

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2003, 06:52 AM »
Thanks for the tip Trevor. Have never tried that one before.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:25 PM »
Just keep doing different things. Switch up colors, baits, size, and presentation until you figure out what they want.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:48 PM »
I would try a smaller or different style of lure. The cubby mini might jig or custom jigs and spins shrimpos and ratsos have tails the wiggle and continue to wiggle for 10 - 30 seconds after the lure is stopped. These lures require very little movement and are best fished with a small woxworm or maggot.
If all else fails, try a small, live minnow fished on a light jighead. Use just enough movement to keep the minnow moving, leaving it still most of the time.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2003, 03:20 PM »
i've had exactly the same thing happen to me--i was told by a very experienced lake trout fisherman not to bother with these bottom huggers -they are scavenging and not active feeders--move move move until you find aggressive fish  :-X

sid vicious

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:02 PM »
If you are fishing near the bottom try letting the lure fall right on the bottom.  Wait until the fish comes by again and lift it up right in front of him.  If that doen't work just let the lure fall to the bottom when you see a fish and they will pick it right off the bottom.

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2004, 01:36 PM »
Good tip Trevor.  Sometimes I get lekers to strike
by speeding my lure up. But then they hit real hard.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2004, 06:36 PM »
Today was only the second time I've ever fished for lakers--the first was yesterday. The bottom hugging fish didnt seem to be nearly as active, or large, as the fish suspending at around 80 feet, over 90. The biggest one (31") really charged after the lure and just smashed it. The smaller fish (22") mouthed the bait when it was fall near on the bottom. A lot of guys said that the bigger ones are the suspending fish, and that seemed true. The fish they had were real nice, and they were caught about 60 feet down.

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.