The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: New Tip Ups  (Read 8838 times)

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Tip Ups
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:04 AM »
If money is tight make your own by the hardware.  You will get a lot more enjoyment out of them!!

x2

Offline weskeagclouser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:38 AM »
Those of you having a tough time setting your Jacks, epoxy the ring to the flag spring. Makes it WAY easier to set!

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:47 AM »
if you have the money, jacks for sure. however you're looking for a $275 set of 5 traps vs 150 for heritage.

Jacks last a lifetime off the shelf, heritages last a lifetime if as soon as you buy them you pull them apart and lacquer and finish them. the choice is yours.
I don't do drugs or bottles... fishing takes all my money!

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:13 AM »
jacks work right out of the box, heritage need to be reworked and adjusted.  i do think the 40 ups are great traps, you can get all the parts you need online. the release on the jacks and 40 ups are exremely smooth, the heritage is clunky and needs to be fixed or it wont release with smaller fish

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:25 AM »
My vote is jacks for sure hands down.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline on-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Those of you having a tough time setting your Jacks, epoxy the ring to the flag spring. Makes it WAY easier to set!

Great idea! However, I'm baffled by how many people have trouble setting the flag. Yes it's a bit "harder" than some other brands, but is it that bad to take your hands out of your gloves 10 seconds MAX??

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:24 PM »
Ive got both. Most were bought many years ago. If i had to keep one set it would be the jacks. Anybody from Southern Maine Remember the Couture Traps ?  "  Couture's"  He sold bait from his house on 109 before  Mousam and made traps too. i bought a set from him in the late 70's still got them too.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Jacks all the way.  If you whine about not being able to set your flag with gloves on you need to turn in your man card. ;D
say that at -30f that we fish in in this area! real cold! anyone that has experienced it knows what i mean. I've stood out in that all day! earned my man card a long time ago! fish with me up here you'll be cursing the trip on jacks before the days over!

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I have a brand new set of heritages that I won and when those crap out I'm hands down going with Indian hills.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:44 PM »
when i buy a new heritage i take the reel off , drill the hole thru to the other side and replace with a stainless bolt and lock nut. i cut off the flag and replace with a 5'' by 6'' red felt one. i take a small file and smooth the burrs off the trip plate. stain with a good black stain for visibility. even w/ mods your still under $30 per trap. i have a few 30yrs. old! once in awhile i buy new springs from fish usa when they get weak which isn't often. thats the only thing I've ever had to do to them.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:46 PM »
I have a brand new set of heritages that I won and when those crap out I'm hands down going with Indian hills.
they are the best trap hands down but I'm too cheap to fork out that much coin! ;)

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:52 PM »

You should save your money as fishing is not your thing! 😎 What thread is your dad going to start next? Which to buy Ford or Chevy?? 😂

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:04 PM »
You should save your money as fishing is not your thing! 😎 What thread is your dad going to start next? Which to buy Ford or Chevy?? 😂

x2  I totally have to question how sincere he really was in starting this thread, as I tried to explain yesterday before 3 pages was dedicate to this nonsense, new traps are not necessary in Jay's case, heck, wiggle poles would be more than adequate given how few fish he catches, MGK only marginally better as an aside. ::)

jacksmelt get your man card, I love that one! :roflmao:

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Ive got both. Most were bought many years ago. If i had to keep one set it would be the jacks. Anybody from Southern Maine Remember the Couture Traps ?  "  Couture's"  He sold bait from his house on 109 before  Mousam and made traps too. i bought a set from him in the late 70's still got them too.
remember it well do you remember  mr bodwell running the bait  and gun store there before couture bought it
in god we trust

Offline TightLinesMaine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Jack Traps are better quality traps but Heritage are cheaper & have much better flag visibility in my opinion.  I have a 5+ year old heritage trap that still works like new.  The only repairs I've had to do on my Heritage traps were glue the flag-spring back in the trap on a few traps with wood glue that's it (quick and easy fix.)

Offline TightLinesMaine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Jack's hands down, I have both. The jack's reels are so much smoother than the heritage. Also you will pay almost $30 for a heritage that are often unfinished. Also the reels on the heritage are just pressed into the wood, they do not go all the way through and over time the reel will fall off unless you run a bolt thru and secure.I only use my Heritage for Pike and Cusk. Just my opinion.

I've bought a few of the unfinished Heritage traps for as low as $21.99, may have been on sale? not sure. 

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I've got a variety of trap brands, always trying something new.

If you're torn between Jacks and Heritage, I'd buy 3 of each, that way you'll never feel like you should have bought the other brand, plus you'll have one extra - you always need a spare.........  :tipup:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:43 PM »
x2  I totally have to question how sincere he really was in starting this thread, as I tried to explain yesterday before 3 pages was dedicate to this nonsense, new traps are not necessary in Jay's case, heck, wiggle poles would be more than adequate given how few fish he catches, MGK only marginally better as an aside. ::)

jacksmelt get your man card, I love that one! :roflmao:
ya thought that was cute too! ;)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:56 PM »
I've got a variety of trap brands, always trying something new.

If you're torn between Jacks and Heritage, I'd buy 3 of each, that way you'll never feel like you should have bought the other brand, plus you'll have one extra - you always need a spare.........  :tipup:

You and I know what the "superior" trap is in this discussion Steve.  @)

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:22 PM »

Still using mine, must be 30-35 years old. I guess they're classics now.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Still using mine, must be 30-35 years old. I guess they're classics now.

Mine haven't left the pack basket for 30 years, still haven't found anything better, why change. :tipup:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:09 PM »
yep. any one that catches fish!

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Don't let any one fool you jack traps need maintence after a while also. I've got some I've retired and replaced 😎
How they biten

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Just get a jigging rod and catch more fish :icefish:
Fish have tails

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:10 PM »
You have to ask yourself, "self, do I want to catch jack or do I want to catch lakers!" I'm a heritage fan all around better trap more user friendly and the line winds on the proper way!
If winding the line one way or the other matters that much buy Black Magic traps. You can wind the line either way and they work. I've been happy with my Max Traps but I'll admit that Jack's, Heritage, Black Magic, and a few others are just as good.

Offline GoVino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2017, 12:48 AM »
Jacks. I have a set of Trout JR's, 26" Standards and a Big Bob...you just cant beat the quality.

Offline Slammin_Brookies!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Speed an Accuracy" Airborne all the Way 82nd!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:35 AM »
You shoulda made the boy leave his traps behind when hes at Sea. Hes been catching Junk fish with them new Heritages all season....minds well let someone use them that will continue the  tradition. 😂
"Go Big or Go Home"

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:47 AM »
Whether you drive a Porsche or hundi,  its all in where you park it........park it in front in front of walmart and you'll be waiting all day long for a flag........... :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:58 AM »
The ultimate trap would be the Jack trap with the Heritage flag setup.
But if you had that trap....
What bathroom would you use?

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:53 AM »
I would say Heritage or Allagash. My Heritage are 20+ years old.

I have Thompson, Mooseheads, Allagash, Maine Trap, Jacks & Heritage

I did read on here the Jack's Burn very well, if you need more Firewood. ;D ;D
I know who your talking aboput but can recall his name  he was inlove with the witch from great east
in god we trust

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.